March 28, 2024, 02:20:24 PM

collapse

Author Topic: About Nexus 7 Battery.  (Read 5152 times)

Offline markhuges

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
About Nexus 7 Battery.
« on: September 14, 2012, 10:19:23 AM »
So, i have another question about the Nexus 7 Tablet.

1) If i buy from the Google Direct or Another Seller? How long is the Warranty?

Example - With my Laptop, when i bought it, the battery was 3 hours, after 2 years it degraded to 10mins - So i then simply bought a new battery.

My question is that, How does this work with Tablets?

Because when looking at the back, it seems joined and built in, there is no removable battery.
So after 2 years, If i need a new battery, What would i do? Can you buy replacement battery? or will my tablet be dead?

Thank You ;D :D

EDIT >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>  - AFTER Some Research the battery is replaceable and will cost around 40$ ish 
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 03:03:24 AM by markhuges »

Offline comiskeybum

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
Re: About Nexus 7 Battery.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 11:59:42 AM »
Good question. I believe it uses a lithium ion polymer battery. These batteries are SUPPOSED to last many years. But we will see.
Phone: Droid Bionic
Tablet: Nexus 7
Wife: Hot
Daughter: My precious

JayJ

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 12:31:04 PM »
Yes you can just purchase a replacement battery, the back cover does come off but it will require some prising as it isn't like the back of a phone.

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 12:40:02 PM »
If you look at the Nexus 7 teardown videos, the battery is replaceable. On that note, my 7" HTC Flyer is 1.5 years old and the battery is still working fine. Also, once the warranty has expired I would have no hesitation about replacing the battery myself.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline markhuges

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 01:07:23 PM »
If you look at the Nexus 7 teardown videos, the battery is replaceable. On that note, my 7" HTC Flyer is 1.5 years old and the battery is still working fine. Also, once the warranty has expired I would have no hesitation about replacing the battery myself.

Thank You, Roughly how long Battery do you get after 1.5 Years? and how much was it at the start.

Thanks

Offline S.Prime

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 01:28:21 PM »
I use my tablet sporadically during the course of the day, so I really cannot make a comparison.

Offline markhuges

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 04:11:31 AM »
If someone could find out about the battery it would be very helpful

I want to know,

IS there a replacement battery ?
How much the replacement battery would cost?
Would it be east to replace.

Thats my only concern about this tablet, which is stopping me buy it.

As it costs £159 -- If within 2 years the battery is dead - and I CANT Replace the battery or THERE IS no Replacement Battery. Hypothetically The Tablet would then be useless.  (I come from a working class background on limited income)

I will E mail google with the questions ^ and reply if i get some feedback, but if you know some information please let me now - Thank You

« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 04:23:39 AM by markhuges »

Offline S.Prime

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 04:25:46 AM »
As previously noted the battery is replaceable, although the back of the case has to be removed, with a simple pry tool. I cannot comment on the cost, but I am sure we will see after market choices soon, which should be even cheaper than Google's price.

Offline NSILMike

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 07:54:42 AM »
So, i have another question about the Nexus 7 Tablet.

1) If i buy from the Google Direct or Another Seller? How long is the Warranty?

Example - With my Laptop, when i bought it, the battery was 3 hours, after 2 years it degraded to 10mins - So i then simply bought a new battery.

My question is that, How does this work with Tablets?

Because when looking at the back, it seems joined and built in, there is no removable battery.
So after 2 years, If i need a new battery, What would i do? Can you buy replacement battery? or will my tablet be dead?

Thank You ;D :D

EDIT >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>  - AFTER Some Research the battery is replaceable and will cost around 40$ ish
I know I'm answering an old post....  but here is some info that may help everyone.
1) Lithium batteries do not age with time, they age with recharge cycles.  It's not how old it is, but how many times you have recharged it.
2) They do lose charge capacity over use, but they also lose charger calibration, and lose that potentially much faster depending on your typical use and charge style.
3) To maximize the lifetime of the battery and get the most charge cycles possible, use it gently (charge to ~80% and discharge to ~20%... these are rough numbers so use them as guides, not rules,) and avoid heat exposure.
4) the battery charge circuits are in the battery itself (for safety...there is A LOT of energy in those batteries!) and using the device as proposed here in my #3 will slowly drive the calibration (ability to accurately measure full vs. empty battery, and time remaining) out of whack.  BUT it is easy to recal.  use the device on battery only until it dies.  restart it and keep going... repeat this until it dies fast (5 or 10 minutes.)  Then connect the charger and let it charge uninterrupted (important!) until full.  Done.  Note that many laptop vendors advise owners to do this regularly.  I would suggest you do it only when needed, as the full discharge/full recharge cycle is tough on the battery.

Cheers.

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 12:31:42 PM »
Realistically, by the time the battery goes out, the device will be obsolete. You could purchase a used one at lower cost than an aftermarket battery.

In two years, I'm going to have wireless charging on my Nexus, so I'm not too concerned with the life cycle of my current battery.

Offline S.Prime

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 01:31:34 PM »
Perhaps it will not be obsolete as much as we will find ourselves eyeing the new model in less than 12 months. Non the less, loociddreemr's point is well made that many of us will never see the battery exceed it's usefull life.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman