March 28, 2024, 09:32:59 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Trying to root for the first time.  (Read 6601 times)

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
Trying to root for the first time.
« on: September 14, 2012, 03:11:21 PM »
Well I thought I did enough reading to be able to root my Nexus. I haven't been able of get past the first step. I enabled debugging installed the drivers or so I thought. I installed pda net and now I have the yellow exclamation point on MTP. I can't find the driver for the life of me. I read to check not known device in the pda setup and then I read check Samsung somewhere. I went with unknown like the video stated. I was worried about brick ingredients my device and I can't even install a damn driver. I noticed when in debugging mode my computer doesn't show the Nexus as a drive. Is that normal?
Also super su or su?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 04:19:17 PM by bjs229 »

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to root for the first time.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 05:47:49 PM »
Did you follow my guide to rooting that I posted as a sticky in the hacks and mod topic?
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 05:50:19 PM »
I thought I did prime. I read the developers thread too. I will go back to yours.

Offline dden4012

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 07:33:10 PM »
Disregard removed comment. I need sleep lol
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 07:35:46 PM by dden4012 »

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 08:29:51 PM »
Somehow I was using a totally different program to try and root from another thread. I just used the toolkit from Primes thread. I think it has been updated to 1.5.3 The thing now is some of the screens look different in the tutorial and one line of Lingo confused me.<easy to do I know> ;D When I rooted I did NOT check the And Also Flash: custom recovery tab. Is that a problem? I wanted to have the CWM recovery like explained to make it easier to restore if needed. I think I might have made a mistake because I saw the TWRP file somewhere on the tablet. There was a line in the tutorial that stated Selecting “Do not flash CWM” will allow you to install a custom touch screen recovery (TWRP) shown below if you prefer. It was worded differently and I wasnt sure if I wanted custom checked or not.
Anyway thanks for helping me break my cherry. If I need to go back to reroot do I just check the custom recovery box and reroot? I really want the easiest way to go back to factory if needed.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 01:43:35 AM »
I think I need to go back to where I was. Everyone of my video apps is stuttering now. YouTube, bsplayer, netflix. I reset my router and the device and still the same.

JayJ

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 03:40:15 AM »
Rooting will not effect those...

So you've successfully rooted but have no custom recovery, is that right?

Just install Goo manager from GP and with that you can flash TWRP Recovery.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 03:41:55 AM by JayJ »

Offline S.Prime

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 04:08:44 AM »
JJay is correct rooting will not cause your videos to not play properly. I did not follow your entire process, but it appeared that you used two different methods, so I am not sure what you have done entirely, but If you want to test it use the toolkit to remove root and then worst case scenario perform a factory reset. Then you can root again. Also note, if you just want to add CWM from your current point, just run the Rootkit again and select the CWM option.

JayJ

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 06:44:13 AM »
Don't you use TWRP recovery Prime?

I've been a long time CWM recovery user but I have to say I really do like the UI of TWRP, I've had no problems backing up, deleting backups and flashing ROM's with TWRP including CyanogenMod 10, Paranoid Android, AOKP nightly, Team BAMF, Slim Beam & Codename Android.
I would recommend using TWRP, I personally don't like CWM's new backup system with those blob files that cannot be deleted manually and take up a huge amount of space. Also backups can only be restored if those blob files are present so if you want to backup your backups you have to backup the whole CWM folded including the blob files...

Very annoying IMHO.

Offline S.Prime

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 12:40:33 PM »
Yes I do use TWRP, but I did install CWM at one point, just to see if it would replace TWRP by using the Root Toolkit, which it did, also TWRP will replace CWM when the installation is ran from GooManager. Like you I was unhappy with not being able to delete the CWM backups without running the removal tool from recovery.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 01:04:36 PM »
I used Primes link to root my Nexus. I had originally d/l a different package but only got as far as installing the drivers on the pc.
I followed the process. The stumbling block I had was whether to check that one box  custom recovery. Do I really need to add anything else right now?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 01:11:01 PM by bjs229 »

JayJ

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2012, 01:51:47 PM »
It's up to you and what you want to do with root access, if you just want root to run root apps then no you don't need a recovery but if you want to flash custom ROM's then you will need a custom recovery.
If flashing custom ROM's is something your considering but not ready yet then wait until you are ready then install a recovery, no harm installing it now mind...

Offline S.Prime

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2012, 03:19:04 PM »
JayJ is correct on this one, you remain with the stock recovery until you install CWM or TWRP, but you have SuperUser privileges on your tablet at this point so you can install any SU App on your tablet like StickMount or Titanium Backup.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2012, 03:50:05 PM »
I installed both stick mount and titanium as well. I went back to the toolkit and checked the custom recovery box and rooted again. I would like to play around with roms and learn as much about this whole thing as I can. All the terms and acronyms can be quite confusing and intimidating to a noob. I have been reading as much as I can.

JayJ

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2012, 04:32:45 PM »
The only way to learn is read and try my friend, that's how I've learnt what I know.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman