March 18, 2024, 09:08:45 PM

collapse

Author Topic: Two very basic questions  (Read 3991 times)

Offline betsy777

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Two very basic questions
« on: August 21, 2012, 10:13:48 AM »
I am not very computer tech savvy so, please allow me a 2 basic question.

I am thinking of getting a Nexus7 mainly  for 2 purposes:  To replace my NookColor which I used as an e-reader  and to have for wifi when I travel.     No games, possibly for watching Netflix and listening to music via Pandora or Spotify.

Question 1:   Looking at the  books available (or in this case, not available) on Google, I will be purchasing most books from Amazon     How easy it is to obtain the books through Amazon?

Question 2: I would also like to use my Kingston USB thumb drives occasionally to view some documents I store on these USB drives.
I've am confused reading the various postings and  specs on Google regarding USB.  Is it possible to use a thumb drive and simple put it into the Nexus 7?     And, if the answer is yes, will I be able to view these (microsoft excel and word documents) since Windows won't be installed in the Nexus7?
If this is not possible, I assume I could get them off my Google Drive cloud storage account.  Would they be available for viewing from the cloud account without again, since Windows won't be installed?

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 10:51:53 AM by Babyfacemagee »

Offline Undo

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Two very basic questions
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 10:26:19 AM »
The Kindle app, for Amazon Kindle books, is available at the Google Play Store.

You will not be able to use your USB thumb drives with the Nexus 7. I don't know about opening Excel and Word documents. Perhaps there is some app that will do this but I'm not aware of it.

JayJ

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 10:27:41 AM »
Searching the forum would answer all your questions, they've all been answered in other threads...

EDIT- The information above about thumb drives is actually untrue and misleading, you can use a thumb drive but only if you root your Nexus 7.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 10:52:13 AM by Babyfacemagee »

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 10:50:27 AM »
Microsoft documents can be edited on the Nexus 7 in a variety of ways, using apps like Documents to Go or they can be edited from Google Drive and pinned to your device so that the revisions are synchronized with Google Drive if edited off line.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 10:52:22 AM by Babyfacemagee »
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline Undo

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 12:28:25 PM »
The information above about thumb drives is actually untrue and misleading, you can use a thumb drive but only if you root your Nexus 7.
The OP stated that she isn't very computer savvy, so the answer was sufficient; you cannot use thumb drives with a Nexus 7. Rooting would not likely be a good idea in her case, or for 90% of the readers of this forum. (IMO)

JayJ

Re: Re: Two very basic questions
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 12:32:11 PM »
The OP stated that she isn't very computer savvy, so the answer was sufficient; you cannot use thumb drives with a Nexus 7. Rooting would not likely be a good idea in her case, or for 90% of the readers of this forum. (IMO)

Yes your absolutely right, I stand corrected! :-[

Offline Trankster

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 03:48:39 PM »
A new $1.99 app Nexus Media Importer  allows you to import and stream music, video and photos from a USB flash drive or SD card connected to your Nexus 7 (possibly docs, too).  No rooting necessary.

See https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.homeysoft.nexususb.importer 

Offline Not2saavy

• View Profile
Re: Two very basic questions-read books
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 05:01:10 PM »
Will the media importer read MOBI files for books that I already own, if I put them on a thumb drive?

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman