March 29, 2024, 07:17:40 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Consumer Reports: Nexus 7 is "Better Device Than" Kindle Fire & Nook Tablet  (Read 4316 times)

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile

Consumer Reports has a long history of 'making or breaking' products throughout its history.  One bad review or serious flaw and a negative report or 'warning' from the company can cripple a device's sales to the tune of tens of millions of dollars or units.   On the other hand, a glowing review or a 'top pick' can sway millions of readers to choose one product over a crowded field. 

Well we're happy to say that Consumer Reports just finished their first look at the Nexus 7 and in the words of Paul Reynolds "the Nexus 7 is a better device than both (the Kindle Fire and Nook Tablet) in almost every way".  From the 20% lower weigh to the longer battery life to the improved screen readability under direct sunlight, Paul ticks off the superiority of the Nexus 7 point by point.  In fact he even infers that the Nexus 7 is superior than much pricier tabs from Samsung and other manufacturers. 

Ok, I know that us tech geeks are much more impressed by a positive review by "Mobile Tech Review" or "The Verge" but the reality is that the Nexus 7's prime audience outside of us early adopters is the every day consumer...and Consumer Reports is their bible.   Are you a fan of Consumer Reports?  Does having their blessing make it easier to plunk down that $200-$250 for the Nexus 7?

Consumer Reports
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 05:15:02 PM by Babyfacemagee »

Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
I find CR reviews to be short on objective detail and long on subjective impressions.  Still, they mentioned one shortcoming of the N7,

So, is there a fix for the inability of the Nexus 7 to display a full screen in landscape mode, or is this not a problem?
Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
It's not a problem.  It's intentional.   Here, read this: 

http://nexus7forum.com/index.php?topic=101.0

and if you still REALLY want the home page in landscape you can do this:

http://nexus7forum.com/index.php?topic=85.0

Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
Thanks.  I was going to those threads next.
Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

Offline bradyfix

• Popularity: 2
  • "On the cusp of in the know" and EVOLVR.
    • View Profile
Thanks.  I was going to those threads next.
was funny to watch, @ :30 sec " it has a faster processor " ummm it has 16 processors

Offline Scott99

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
It really is a no brainer. How can you even compare the Nexus 7 to the Kindle Fire or Nook Tablet. It's like comparing the iPhone 4s to the iPhone 3g. Next generation products SHOULD always be a better product than the last generation products.

Offline ibm650

• Popularity: -5
    • View Profile
It really is a no brainer. How can you even compare the Nexus 7 to the Kindle Fire or Nook Tablet. It's like comparing the iPhone 4s to the iPhone 3g. Next generation products SHOULD always be a better product than the last generation products.
Suppose you were traveling in China or going on a cruise.  You would have no Wifi and no way to get additional content, and you would not be able to take additional content with you without taking other measures.  And no easy way to move pictures to your tablet. Remember the tablet is designed for wifi.  At least the Nook has a micro sd slot. I would love a Nexus, but I carry a lot of content with me.  And I do not think I would want various dongles hanging out.  If there was a tiny micro usb that would change things.  Right now, it is a similar issue I have with the Ipad, but the Nexus is not locked down.  So it is not a slam dunk for some of us.

Also, did you not say you are going on a cruise, how do you plan to get content, as wifi is slow and very expensive on a cruise.  Although you will have your kindle fire for content. 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 07:34:59 AM by ibm650 »

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts