March 29, 2024, 03:24:34 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Is an internet security app necessary?  (Read 1745 times)

Offline elbryo

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Is an internet security app necessary?
« on: September 22, 2012, 11:58:49 AM »
Since I tend to use my Nexus 7 for internet brousing, I began to wonder if I should download some type of internet security.

Some folks at work believe that it shouldn't be a problem, but I prefer to get advice from you folks.

Thanks for any and all feedback.

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
Re: Is an internet security app necessary?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 01:31:51 PM »
I personally do not use any type of internet security beyond some common sense, like, "Don't make financial transactions over public WiFi like coffee shops or fast food restaurants" and " Backup your data to Google Drive, DropBox, or your PC." In the rare case that you do have any type of infection, we have the tools to make a full factory restore of our system image. The one thing I do recommend in the event that you maintain any personal information on your tablet, that you have the ability to remotely wipe or lock it, in the case where it is lost or stolen.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 01:50:16 PM »
I wish Kaspersky Tablet worked on the Nex7. It had some really great features. Lock,wipe,location,personalized message and best of all secretly snaps pictures of anyone using the tablet. I however could not get the camera security to work and the locator was off by two houses. I don't know much about tablet security but having my bank account attached to a device with internet access does make me a little squirrelly.

JayJ

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 04:27:29 PM »
I agree with Prime, those rules are simple enough to remember but Iwould add at least one other.
Most mobile malware is application orientated so be aware of apps you install and their permissions, you grant an apps permissions when you install it so be mindful of the permissions of the apps you are installing. If an app is asking for permissions that you think are not justified then don't install it, simples.

EDIT: Another point to make is the Unknown sources option, it's entirely your choice whether you tick it and there's no harm in doing so but this feature is a security feature and there to protect you from rogue applications.
Example, there's been a recent mobile malware attack reported in which whilst surfing the net a web page doesn't load and a pop-up appears informing the user that the page will not load until the user downloads and installs an app, if you confirm this action a dirty app will be installed on your phone and what that app will do once on your phone is anyone's guess.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 05:36:26 AM by JayJ »

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 06:39:39 PM »
Coming from the PC world, & having taught for a couple of years at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center, I'm more paranoid/cautious than our moderators. I run a virus checker all the time, & run a droidsheep monitor whenever I'm on a public wi-fi connection.

It doesn't cost me anything, and it's the prudent thing to do, so why not?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 06:42:01 PM by birdastrompgman »
Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts