March 28, 2024, 02:51:47 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Whole lotta shakin'  (Read 3337 times)

Offline Dogdare

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Whole lotta shakin'
« on: September 23, 2012, 03:29:30 PM »
I've been enjoying my N7 for about a week now, and I'm getting used to it without too much drama, but I have one issue that's bugging me.

My N7 does not seem to rotate the display very easily. I'm not talking about the Home Screen, but every screen. I've installed, and removed, various rotation control apps, but while they have the option to rotate the home screen, not much else changes for me. I have to give the N7 something on the order of a 5.0 on the Richter scale to get it to rotate. Some N7 videos I've seen on YouTube show a much gentler, and faster screen rotation than I'm seeing.

Is the rotation controlled by the gyroscope, and if so, is there a sensitivity adjustment for it? It also seems to me that the display rotates far better when my N7 is connected (by USB cable) to my computer. Not sure there's a real correlation there, but there appears to be.

thanks,
Herb

Offline chilinmichael

• View Profile
Re: Whole lotta shakin'
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 04:18:37 PM »
This honestly sounds like a defect to me.  I hate to say this, but I'd almost return and get another.  The fact that you've already gone to such lengths to get it to work properly and it hasn't, points to an underlying hardware issue, imo.

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 10:17:00 PM »
Mine rotates better if i tilt the face of the screen more toward vertical, regardless of whether it's in landscape or portrait orientation.
Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

Offline Dogdare

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 04:48:56 PM »
Mine rotates better if i tilt the face of the screen more toward vertical, regardless of whether it's in landscape or portrait orientation.

hmmmm.......my first try at rotating it this way, does seem to improve the rotation. May have to think about this before I contact Google customer service. Makes me wonder if I held the unit differently while I had the cable connected, therefore seemingly giving me better rotation performance? Thanks for the suggestion.

Herb

Offline fxsarge

• Popularity: 15
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Whole lotta shakin'
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 05:59:57 PM »

I mean that's pretty typical because if your just spinning the tablet on a flat surface it doesn't know that it was rotated. You need to have it at least at a 45° angle and it should work every time. If at this angle it doesn't I would return it.

Offline Dogdare

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 06:48:43 PM »
At 45o, it's definitely not rotating every time. I'm happy to have it rotate so much better when I hold it near vertical, but you're right, I shouldn't have to do that. Maybe a call is in order.

For returns, does Google repair your unit, ship a new one, or ship a refurb? Looks like I'll be needing a new screen protector.

Herb

Offline fxsarge

• Popularity: 15
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Whole lotta shakin'
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 06:53:40 AM »
At 45o, it's definitely not rotating every time. I'm happy to have it rotate so much better when I hold it near vertical, but you're right, I shouldn't have to do that. Maybe a call is in order.

For returns, does Google repair your unit, ship a new one, or ship a refurb? Looks like I'll be needing a new screen protector.

Herb

It depends but its Asus you need to contact. See what they say

Offline Dogdare

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 07:21:22 PM »
I contacted Google customer support this morning. It took a while for them to understand my issue, but once they did, they agreed that it was not operating as it should. I have a new one on the way, and once I receive it, I ship my existing one back to them.

Herb

Offline Dogdare

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 04:20:10 PM »
UPDATE: Have had my replacement N7 for about a week now, and it does rotate far easier than my original one. Took me a few days to make sure I placed all my apps on the new one, and the old one has been sent back.

Great customer service, received the replacement (did need to provide a cc in case I didn't return the first unit) before having to send the first one back.

Herb

Offline chilinmichael

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 10:39:50 PM »
Glad to hear it! Have fun with the new one!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 10:45:43 PM »
Glad you to hear you are back on track.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

JayJ

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 11:20:40 PM »
Talk about reviving a dead thread...over two months ago the OP posted the update...lol

Sent from my 32GB Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2©

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts