March 28, 2024, 05:20:52 PM

collapse

Author Topic: Two Steps Forward - Two Steps Back  (Read 4501 times)

Offline paxham

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
Two Steps Forward - Two Steps Back
« on: September 25, 2012, 09:47:05 PM »
This is my first tablet ever.  Problem number 1 in entering text.  I love to type and can do so quickly enough to converse this way, but not on a tablet.  I am resorting to my desktop right now so I can say what I want without thinking about it.  We I use my Nexus I spend more time correcting and editing than I do writing.  I'll get over it, but it is a hurdle.

I've have my Nexus just over a month.  I like all the apps and internet related features, but depending on wifi is frustrating.  I got used to my smartphone (which I don't currently have) and as often as not I can't use my favorite apps.  Even at home my wifi connection is not very robust.  I can't blame this just on the nexus, but still.  It is enough of a problem that it limits my use.  I chose the nexus as an affordable alternative to a 3G or 4G device.  I made my bargain and I can live with, but next time around I'll think twice.

I like the Jellybean OS.  Much better than my old Droid 2. whatever.  I've lived in a Windows world so long I still miss simple things like a tab key, delete key or a few basic function keys.  I'm old, but I'm adapting.  Given time, I'll be good at it.

Just as I'm getting used to and fond of this thing I might have to return or replace it.  My headphone jack has stopped working and this annoys me to no end.  I've come all this way and installed all these apps and now I'll have to take it back and get a new one.  I'm finding myself concerned about the quality of the product.  What might break next.  I'm wondering if this is the best place to put my money, not to mention my time.

Wish I had a happier tale, but I'm not looking forward to setting up my tablet from scratch.  My next stop will probably be Walmart to try to get a replacement.

Offline Tiny

• Popularity: 11
    • View Profile
Re: Two Steps Forward - Two Steps Back
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 08:54:24 AM »
Welcome to the forums!

Touch typing isn't easy on a tablet.  There are a lot of good alternate keyboards on Google Play.  Most are free, or free to try.

Make sure that your headphone plug is pushed completely in.  I don't use headphones myself, but several other forum members have reported that you should hear a distinct click when you plug them in.

Don't give up too fast.  You might grow to like using a tablet.
I used to be crazy until I found out that insane pays more.

Where am I?  What am I doing in this handbasket?

Offline paxham

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 07:36:40 PM »
Oh, I like the tablet, learning curve and all.  Typing's just a challenge and probably something I'll continue to do on my desktop.

I know what you mean about the headphone jack and I'll fiddle with it some more.  I'll exchange it for a new one only if I have to. 

Thanks for your reply.

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 08:07:11 PM »
First welcome to the forum, as for touch typing, have you thought of trying a bluetooth or usb keyboard? Also coming from a Windows world, as well,  I was terrorized at the thought of reloading an OS and application restoration , but believe me it is not that difficult a task on Android.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline daraldf

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 06:36:31 AM »
Welcome to the forum and grats on choosing a Nexus 7. I struggle entering text on my N7 and my iPhone too but I've learned to rely on the predictive text capability to help me out. The first purchase I made on the Google Play store was SwiftKey 3 and it seemed to help.

Darald

Offline paxham

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 07:34:39 PM »
Any tips on how I can backup and restore my data, apps and profile when I get a new one?

Offline CBers

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 03:22:42 AM »
Hi paxham.

depending on what it is you want to backup, the only complete way to do a backup, in readiness for any restore, is to first ROOT your device and then backup via something like TITANIUM BACKUP.

See the "How to Root Your Google Nexus 7 Tablet" thread.

I was very anti-rooting, but I did succumb in the end, and it was very easy.

If you are going to return your tablet, please bear in mind that unlocking it, which is part of rooting, you will invalidate your warranty, so if you were wishing to return it, then you may experience a problem.

If you just want to backup your pictures, music, videos etc., just plug the Nexus 7 into a PC and copy the files.

All app information, plus wifi passwords etc. are backed up to you Google account, and are downloaded when you sign-on to another tablet.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 03:26:23 AM by CBers »

JayJ

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 03:27:26 AM »
But you can relock it...

Offline CBers

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 03:38:16 AM »
But you can relock it...

Can you ?? I didn't think that was possible, hence the warranty being voided ??

JayJ

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 04:05:17 AM »
You can, check the toolkit. You unroot and then relock...simples.

Offline CBers

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 04:30:24 AM »
Cool, thanks.

Offline paxham

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 08:22:22 AM »
All my music and pictures came from my PC so I was mostly concerned about all my app and accounts.  Sounds like I dont' have to worry about it.

I'll do a factory reset before I take it back to Walmart.

Offline CBers

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2012, 09:00:51 AM »
You'll have all of your applications backed up on Google, but not the settings etc.

IE. you'll have to install and set them all up again.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 10:33:39 AM »
So the headphone jack is dead for sure? Have you tested the earphones lately on something else? I use my headphone jack as an audio out and it can be tricky to get the plug snapped in snug. I noticed that the shape or angle of the plastic shielding at the plug end of some wires/headphones can be tougher to get a good connection. As far as typing, that takes the right app and some getting used too. Primes mention of a Bluetooth device might be the ticket for you. Are you replacing the defective Nexus or washing your hands of it altogether?

Offline paxham

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 12:04:52 PM »
I'm replacing it.  I used headphones and speakers on this from day one without any trouble.  I've tested with 4 different cords and headsets and don't hear a thing now.  I just tested one headphone on another device and it works fine.  It has to be the jack.  Annoying, but I'm not expecting any problem from Walmart on the return.    I want to get past this bump and see how far I can take this device.  I think this is an isolated defect in a quality product or at least I hope so.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 12:09:37 PM by paxham »

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts