March 29, 2024, 07:29:48 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Setting the Home Screen  (Read 3404 times)

Offline gp123

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
Setting the Home Screen
« on: September 28, 2012, 09:05:54 AM »
Here's a simple question for all you N7 experts.

When I power-up N7 the first thing I see is my home-page with icons for all my Apps.  When I swipe the screen I see my Daily Agenda which I've optioned to load from my Google Calendar.

How can I set my Agenda screen to be first thing I see when I power up? (I think I'm asking how to set my Agenda as the home screen). 

Any down-side to this?

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
Re: Setting the Home Screen
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 09:21:58 AM »
I think what you are trying to do is move your agenda widget to the home screen? Correct? If you hold your finger on the app icon / WIDGET you can drag it to wherever you like. You can add or remove app icons the same way. If you want to remove them just drag to the trash bin.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 09:44:14 AM by bjs229 »

Offline gp123

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 03:07:50 PM »
Thanks for your input.
Perhaps my Android-vocabulary needs improvement, but let me explain again what I'd like to do.

The N7 home screen has a central area whjch displays upon power-on and shows  icons of my installed Apps.  There are also  screens that I can access by swiping left or right.  At present when I swipe left I see an agenda (Widget?) from Google Calendar.

Is it possible to see this Agenda screen displayed upon start-up?   Following your suggestion I suppose I could move the Agenda widget to the central home-screen area, and move all (25, so far) App icons to one of the side screens.  Thought there might be an easier way.  (Isn't this similar to folks having a fancy home screen that they see on power-up --clock, weather, wallpaper, etc.  How do they do this??)

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 08:42:43 PM »
If you hold your finger on the app icon you can place it where you like. I myself deleted all of the ones on my home screen except for a few combo folders I had made. I would do what I did and replace it with your agenda. Not as much work as it sounds.

Offline gp123

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 08:57:28 AM »
Thanks --
I guess with this solution a tap on the Home Screen (house-shaped icon) would bring me to my Calendar agenda; and a swipe will show me my App icons. 
Was actually hoping to find a way to see my calendar only on power-up -- normal operation from then on.
Decisions ... decisions.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 01:36:08 PM »
If you tap the circle with the dots on top of the home icon you get directed to all of your apps. If you then hold your finger on the app of your choice you can set a shortcut wherever you choose.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 01:55:18 PM »
This got me thinking. I added an agenda widget just to test. I put it on the screen to the left of my home. I understand why you want it on your opening screen cause for me it's useless anywhere else. I really never use more than my home screen because swiping back and forth is annoying. If widgets are meant for speed why would you have to take numerous steps to get to it?  I have a hard enough time remembering what widgets/apps are on my home screen let alone on a screen to the left or right that I can't see. I seem to remember on an Android phone I had ages ago there used to be a way to shortcut left or right over to other screens without having to swipe numerous times. What is the point of having all of that space to the left and right? What is it that I am missing here? Even if you have a million apps it seems faster just to tap the app icon.

Offline Tiny

• Popularity: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 10:18:14 AM »
I'm not an expert, but it sounds to me like you want to see you information instead of the Google logo when you turn the power on.  I don't think that can be done without making changes to the system software.
I used to be crazy until I found out that insane pays more.

Where am I?  What am I doing in this handbasket?

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman