March 29, 2024, 08:40:06 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Amazon wipes kindle  (Read 1954 times)

Offline ibm650

• Popularity: -5
    • View Profile
Amazon wipes kindle
« on: October 26, 2012, 09:29:51 AM »
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2219096/amazon-remotely-wipes-woman-s-kindle?utm_source=Outbrain&utm_medium=Cpc&utm_campaign=Inquirer%252BReferral&WT.mc_is=977=obinsource

ONLINE BOOKSELLER Amazon reportedly has remotely wiped a woman's Kindle and sent her an email recommending that she choose another retailer.
A blog post by Norwegian media commentator Martin Bekkelund claims that a friend of his, also from Norway, is the victim. Amazon has not confirmed the report, but we have asked it to comment.
The blog post says that the woman, identified only as Linn, found that her Kindle and account had been wiped with no warning.
When she approached Amazon to find out why, it did not explain itself very well and recommended that she find another retailer where she might find more satisfaction.
"We have found your account is directly related to another which has been previously closed for abuse of our policies. As such, your Amazon.co.uk account has been closed and any open orders have been cancelled," said the first response.
Linn pushed for more information but didn't get any, and was brushed off instead. "We regret that we have not been able to address your concerns to your satisfaction. Unfortunately, we will not be able to offer any additional insight or action on these matters," she was told. "We wish you luck in locating a retailer better able to meet your needs and will not be able to offer any additional insight or action on these matters."
In the UK the Pirate Party was more sympathetic, saying that this is just the sort of thing we should expect from an industry reliant on digital rights management.
"This highlights the dangers with DRM. When you buy a product with DRM you haven't really bought it because the supplier can take it away from you at any time," said Pirate Party spokesperson Andy Robinson.
"Similarly, when you buy a locked down device such as Amazon's Kindle or Apple's Iphone or Ipad, you're never in control. Let the buyer beware." ยต

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
Re: Amazon wipes kindle
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 09:43:42 AM »
Big Brother is alive and thriving 28 years after 1984. Google could do the same thing to us.
Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

JayJ

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 09:50:16 AM »
It's known that Google has backdoor entry to Google devices, there have been many reports of malicious applications removed from devices once they have been removed from the Play store.
Whether that's good or back only you can decide...

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 10:31:25 AM »
 I have a hard time buying something that isn't tangible or gives a feeling of being mine. It feels more like paying full retail price but renting until the landlord decides to end the relationship or up the cost or abandon you as a customer totally. I froze my Google Mags and Books apps as soon as I was taught how in this forum. The only time I used the movie player was to watch my "Free" Transformers once or twice. How really free and mine is it if they can remotely remove it at anytime?

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 12:19:47 PM »
Even though Google's OS on our Nexus 7 is heavily designed to market in Google's favor, it still allows us choices that are not available on Amazon's Kindle.  Considering the difference in the approach of Google and Amazon,  I feel less threatened by Google than Amazon. Also, I think it adds to the value of rooting the Nexus 7.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline limbot

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 06:35:15 PM »
Big Brother is alive and thriving 28 years after 1984. Google could do the same thing to us.

Funny you mention 1984 and George Orwell.

Amazon actually took over Kindles at one time and erased George Orwells Animal Farm and 1984

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/18/technology/companies/18amazon.html

;D

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt