March 28, 2024, 08:18:00 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Sound Jack - My Pain, Your Gain  (Read 3044 times)

Offline paxham

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
Sound Jack - My Pain, Your Gain
« on: September 30, 2012, 07:27:38 AM »
I told this story in the new member introductions, but think it might be worth posting here as a cautionary tale.  I very nearly returned my Nexus 7 to Asus for a replacement.  I made the false assumption that if you could hear music coming out of the internal speakers, you would hear music coming out of your headphones, external speakers or your car stereo when you plugged them in.  I spent a frustrating week trying every set of ear buds, headphones and powered speakers I could find.  I made sure the plug was fully inserted.  Nothing worked.  My last ditch effort came from Asus technical support.  After several go arounds they suggest I check the mute or speaker volume.  I maintained this made no sense as I could hear the music coming out before I plugged in my headphones.  I was chagrined when I saw my volume was next to zero. Turned it up, I could hear just fine.

It was embarrassment mixed with pleasure.  Not the first time I have felt this way.   So perhaps you can learn from this and save yourself a lot of aggravation.  Don't overlook the obvious and don't be afraid to ask for help.   

Good luck

Offline chilinmichael

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Sound Jack - My Pain, Your Gain
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 07:30:31 AM »
Haha, these things can happen to us all. Good story and bit of information!

Offline Tiny

• Popularity: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 10:03:16 AM »
No need to be chagrined.  When this incident gets on the tech support lists with the CD coffee cup holder, the missing "any key", etc.  I'm glad you posted though.  I'm sure many of the forum members are like me and learned something new from your incident.
I used to be crazy until I found out that insane pays more.

Where am I?  What am I doing in this handbasket?

Offline CBers

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 10:23:27 AM »
There isn't a separate headphone volume control in the settings.

Are you saying that it appears when you plug your headphones in?

Offline paxham

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 01:35:32 PM »
No, but the tech support person seemed to indicate the volume setting could be different for the speaker jack than through the on board speakers, including the mute. 
Either that or the external speakers/headphone require a higher volume setting to be heard.   

Offline fxsarge

• Popularity: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 02:01:20 PM »
Its a pretty neat feature in android is what it is. Your tablet knows when headphones are plugged in, and remembers what ever your last volume was.

So let's say your at the library and you mute your tablet. You decide you want to start listening to music. If you accidentally unplug your headphones your tablet won't be blasting music.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman