March 28, 2024, 05:57:13 PM

collapse

Author Topic: network share from a pc to tje n7  (Read 3261 times)

Offline mwbritt

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
network share from a pc to tje n7
« on: October 21, 2012, 03:11:47 PM »
hi all,
I'm wanting to access a shared folder on my pc with this n7.  the shared folder is working between the pc and a laptop but I vant access it with this tablet. I have the es file explorer ap.

my tablet os not rooted and is the 16gb version. The error I am getting is "log on failure" I'm stumped.

any ideas please?

Offline arborij

• Android Nerd
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 4
    • View Profile
Re: network share from a pc to tje n7
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 05:53:51 PM »
Have you thought of using cloud storage?  I'm partial to Google Drive, but Sky drive, Box, Drop box, or any other have both a computer interface, along with a free Android app, for easy access via mobile device.
Droid OG (Retired), Droid 2 (Retired), Droid 3(Retired), Droid X (Retired), Droid X2 (Retired)
Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Unlocked, Rooted, Overclocked, Undervoltaged), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (Stock)
Nexus 7 (Unlocked, Rooted, Undervoltaged)
Please click "Thumbs up" if somebody posts something helpf

Offline matt

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 06:04:44 PM »
I'm no expert, but the only way I could get the nexus on my network was to remove all windows computers from homegroup . Home group is for windows only. Then drilling down thru options in networking setup I allowed access to everyone. Es file explorer will use smb sharing also called samba.

On each windows computer go to control panel.
Then 'choose home group and sharing options
Leave homegroup
Then 'change advanced sharing settings.
Network discovery on
File and printer sharing on
Public sharing on
Media streaming skip for now
Password protected off

This is for home or work profile not public.
Windows 7 64 other versions may differ.

Offline Tiny

• Popularity: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 08:14:21 PM »
hi all,
I'm wanting to access a shared folder on my pc with this n7.  the shared folder is working between the pc and a laptop but I vant access it with this tablet. I have the es file explorer ap.

my tablet os not rooted and is the 16gb version. The error I am getting is "log on failure" I'm stumped.

any ideas please?

Make sure your WIFI is on and open es file explorer.  Tap the Change View Menu in the upper left corner (where it says local) and select LAN.  You should get a list of IP addresses of everything on your network.  If your PC isn't on the list, tap the menu (3 dots) select New - Scan.

Select your PC and enter your log in information.  You should be able to navigate to your shared folder.

When you get to the shared folder, long press it and select "Add To Server List".  This will add a direct link to your Change View Menu.

Hope this helps.
I used to be crazy until I found out that insane pays more.

Where am I?  What am I doing in this handbasket?

Offline mwbritt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 10:39:00 PM »
thanks for the suggestions. I dint want to ease security on my network even further so i might try the suggestions just to experiment.  I have the settings fairly tight.  I'm already lowering security since this tablet wont connect to a network unless the ssid is broadcast. lol, i guess I should be glad it has more then wep! (said in a sarcastic tone against the tablet security).

thanks also for the second replie although those solutions don't apply.  this is an authentication problem.  connectivity is fine.

Offline matt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 07:08:29 AM »
Security on the home zone can be more lax IMO. Router firewall will block internet access and robust WPA2 encrytion key will block WiFi incursions. Set shares on folders appropriately.

Offline strollin

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 07:34:46 AM »
Do you have a password for the account you're trying to access on your PC?  I have my PC setup in a Workgroup with certain folders shared.  I use ES File Explorer to access the shares and when prompted for a userid/pw to access the share, I enter NameOFMyPC\MyUserId and then MyPassword (insert your actual values).  After that I can access the share any time.  Your PC must be part of a Workgroup, not a Homegroup, since a Homegroup is only accessible from Win 7 and Win 8 computers.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 07:37:18 AM by strollin »

Offline matt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 10:09:23 AM »
Windows 7 home versions have issues with samba. Am posting link to help clarify and possible solution.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-server-73/how-do-i-make-samba-share-available-as-windows-7-homegroup-774440/

Apologies if linking inappropriate in forum.

Offline Tiny

• Popularity: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 12:48:05 PM »
thanks for the suggestions. I dint want to ease security on my network even further so i might try the suggestions just to experiment.  I have the settings fairly tight.  I'm already lowering security since this tablet wont connect to a network unless the ssid is broadcast. lol, i guess I should be glad it has more then wep! (said in a sarcastic tone against the tablet security).

thanks also for the second replie although those solutions don't apply.  this is an authentication problem.  connectivity is fine.

Any device will not easily connect without the SSID being broadcast.  After you make your connection, save the info and then turn off the SSID broadcast.
I used to be crazy until I found out that insane pays more.

Where am I?  What am I doing in this handbasket?

Offline mwbritt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 03:31:34 PM »
Thanks again for the continued replies of assistance.  Iv given up.  I can connect with the laptop so I know my share is working (As I said earlier).  I going to blame N7 idiosyncrasies and my lack of knowledge to the problem. 

By the way,  I'm afraid not on the ssid issue.  Yes its true, to initially connect a device its often easier to broadcast the ID then to disable it.  The N7 will disconnect once you turn iff ssid broadcast.  (at least it does with my linksys router).  This is actually a known issue which can be verified with a google search.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman