March 28, 2024, 10:24:29 AM

collapse

Author Topic: What's your favorite nex7 ROM?  (Read 10291 times)

Offline norcal618

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
What's your favorite nex7 ROM?
« on: September 30, 2012, 05:26:55 PM »
Hi all. I've had my n7 since july. I rooted & unlocked almost right out f the box and I love this tablet dearly. Its by far my favorite gadget. Even better than my iPhone, by a long shot. Lol. I'm looking for suggestions for a great ROM. I played around with several at first until a came upon xenon HD about a month or so ago. This ROM has been great to me. Smooth, functional, customizable. All though xenon HD has been the bomb, I'm getting bored with it and ready to try something else. I would love for you guys to tell me your favorite nexus 7 ROMs and what you like about them. I'm thinking about flashing smooth ROM and giving the tablet ui a try. So please let me know which ROM is the best guys! Thanks :)

Offline norcal618

• View Profile
Re: What's your favorite nex7 ROM?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 08:51:36 PM »
Come on! Nobody?

Offline Xjeepguy

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 09:32:40 PM »
Codename android.  I've tried others,  I keep coming back to this.

JayJ

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 06:38:59 PM »
If yoi want something different then try Paranoid Android,  avialable on XDA and rootzwiki.

Offline norcal618

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 09:13:19 PM »
Thanks for your replies guys. Paranoid is actually the first ROM I ran on this tablet. Code name android sounds very promising. For now I went with smooth ROM and I'm utilizing the Franco kernel along with it. I opted out of the optional tablet ui because of reported bugs. I went ahead and lowered my DPI to 160 which gives me a kind of hybrid ui along with nova launcher. The ROM itself is very basic containing absolutely no ROM settings or tweaks within itself. Its very close to stock. That being said I am very happy with performance. As the ROMs name suggests it is very smooth. No lag or hiccup at all. I ran a quadrant benchmark and came in just under 5000 without any tweaks to the kernel. With the DPI lowered to 160 it makes things appear very small on screen. Im contemplating flashing the tablet UI patch but I'm not sure if this ROM is supported. If anyone has info on that please share. I would still like to ask you guys, my fellow n7 users to please still let me know what your favorite ROMs are.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 10:31:08 PM »
I haven't tried installing roms on the Nexus yet. I was leery, but I just did a crash course in rooting for my phone and have tried several different roms and kernels so I am starting to get the hang of it!

Offline limbot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 01:10:16 AM »
When I first go my N7 I really wanted to keep it stock JB, especially since I've got some reviews to write up on the N7, but alas, it was too restrictive in a number of ways.

First step was to change the launcher to Apex.

Then found a few other shortcomings and the way I normally find alternative roms is look at the number of views on the XDA threads. :P

Paranoid Android had the highest views and suits what I wanted perfectly.   The fact that I can change the DPI of almost any component independently is great, means I don't have to do the global DPI hack ( my eyes aren't as good as they used to be) :)

Offline commodore128

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 03:38:58 PM »
since i am what is classed as a newbie and still working my way through the threads--i have tried a few roms but settled on AOKP. was using 4.1.2 but just updated to 4.2.1 ithout any problems. like the various bits and peices you can tweak. very solid, had no crashes etc.

JayJ

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 04:17:56 PM »
I think AOKP and CM10.1 are my personal favourites but I'm on stock 4.2.1 at the moment...

Sent from my 32GB Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Offline WonderWoofy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 11:50:01 PM »
At the moment I am using Dirty Rootbox... we'll see his long that lasts.

One thing I have been sticking with is the kernel. Or rather I found two that seem to give me great battery life. One is based off the other so this is not surprising. They are M-kernel and Omega. Omega has a number of additional governors and schedulers, but I actually end up using the same ones on both.

I too tried Franco's kernel and it was nice. But the m-kernel is also actually faster as well. Of course this can vary from N7 to N7... ymmv.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Offline greatwyrmm

• You can't triple stamp a double stamp!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 02:52:18 AM »
I am currently using Xylon/FNV version xylon_grouper-official-016 and I love it!!!! I had been running Liquid jellybean for quite some time but got bored. You should all check this rom out!!! http://xylon.androidvenue.com/downloads-2/xylon-aosp-nex us-7/ .  Its Really fast and smooth.
Do not wait for the iron to become hot to strike.
Make the iron hot by striking!

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 03:22:16 PM »
What are some of the features that you enjoy with this ROM? Customizable features? Can you post screens? How about benchmark scores?

Sent From my Dual-boot Razr Maxx (RaZR3Ds.JB.ROM.FiNaL.v3-R3Ds) via Tapatalk 2

Offline flowerpower2016

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 05:08:35 AM »
Come on! Nobody?
I just cannot figure for the life of me why I need to root. I keep seeing people say this room is smooth no lag and all that jazz but my n7 never lags and it's stock out of box and I couldn't imagine it runnin smoother. That being said I guess I'm kinda jealous bc this is my first android anything and I don't get it like did my windows stuff. I would run Ubuntu on my win laptop.is that the equivalent? I always came back to windows anyways. I feel like since this is fine for me keeping it stock then I must not know something. There musty be appsthat I done know about this stock n7 is running fine to run pocket and rascally and chrome every now and then. I'm missing
something and don't know what or is.help

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2013, 09:26:17 AM »
Quote by Flowerpower
Come on! Nobody?
I just cannot figure for the life of me why I need to root. I keep seeing people say this room is smooth no lag and all that jazz but my n7 never lags and it's stock out of box and I couldn't imagine it runnin smoother. That being said I guess I'm kinda jealous bc this is my first android anything and I don't get it like did my windows stuff. I would run Ubuntu on my win laptop.is that the equivalent? I always came back to windows anyways. I feel like since this is fine for me keeping it stock then I must not know something. There musty be appsthat I done know about this stock n7 is running fine to run pocket and rascally and chrome every now and then. I'm missing

Superuser Control of my file system, Nandroid backups, and root only apps mostly.

Offline mikespe

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2013, 03:15:11 PM »
Come on! Nobody?

Rooting isn't for everyone. If you're happy with your device stock then there is no reason to root. Some of us just like to tinker with things and push our technology to see what we can get it to do...I always hacked Windows settings, rooted Android, jailbroke my iPad 2, and I just installed Linux Mint Cinnamon on my old Dell XPS M140 laptop that had vista on it...I love technology!

As for the ROM I'm running on my Nexus 7 3g (Tilapia) is XenonHD. It's super smooth, has some nice extras and just overall runs great.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts