March 28, 2024, 01:25:31 PM

collapse

Author Topic: Skype for N7  (Read 4496 times)

Offline gp123

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
Skype for N7
« on: August 26, 2012, 10:21:07 AM »
Finally had a chance to try Skype on my new N7.

Voice quality was good, video quality was fair-to-poor as expected -- but it seemed to work!

Encountered a problem -- received video on N7 was fine (landscape orientation) but window with senders (my) view was upside-down.   At the other end received video was correct orientation, but of poor quality.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?  How to fix orientation?

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
Re: Skype for N7
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 04:52:20 PM »
I had the same thing happen to me the first time I Skyped with my youngest grandchildren.  My image of myself in my screen inlay was upside down.  The image they saw of me was right side up. 

I've been unable to replicate that during subsequent sessions.  I rotated my N7 360 degrees during a Skype session last week, and my image stayed right side up the whole time.
Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

Offline gp123

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 08:02:56 AM »
Think I figured it out.
When viewing Skype screen touch Skype logo to bring up options page.  Then touch camera icon to rotate screen

Offline chaikenj

• Popularity: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 11:40:45 AM »
I also had the problem that the image of myself was upside down.  Fortunately the transmitted image is right-side up no matter how you rotate the N7, so I stopped worrying about how I look to myself.

I have not figured out how to end a call -- so far I have had to shut down my N7 when the call is finished.  The control button for ending a call disappears when a call starts and I don't know how to get it back at the end. 

Skype always shows my contacts that I am connected.  I haven't figured out how to stop the app from running in the background.

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 11:47:28 AM »
Settings > apps > force close should close Skype.
Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

Offline gmosley

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 01:45:37 PM »
Tried Skyping with my son and his Apple desktop last night. I could see him but he couldn't see me. I'd touch the video icon and choose the use video option but after seeing my image briefly in the small "monitor" window, it disappears.
Tried a test with Win 7 laptop at hme and it worked fine.

Offline chaikenj

• Popularity: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 06:14:35 PM »

I have not figured out how to end a call -- so far I have had to shut down my N7 when the call is finished.  The control button for ending a call disappears when a call starts and I don't know how to get it back at the end. 

Skype always shows my contacts that I am connected.  I haven't figured out how to stop the app from running in the background.

Answering my own last question -- at the top of the Skype screen is a symbol that looks like a soccer goal with an arrow pointing to the right.  If you touch that, it offers a choice of closing the Skype program.

I have still not figured out how to end a Skype video call.  Surely there must be an easy answer! Help anyone?

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 07:44:28 PM »
The only reason that I would consider using skype anymore would be if I had no other choice but to have a video chat with someone who absolutely could not use Google Talk.  Gtalk is awesome.  You can combune up to eight video feeds simutaneously.  You can watch a youtube video together, share a window from your desktop, and all kinds of possibilities! I definitely recommend looking into it.  Gtalk is the app that the video capabilities of android devices are designed for! I have had many issues with Skype in the past, and was never able to overcome the lackluster experience. 

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman