March 28, 2024, 11:28:01 AM

collapse

Author Topic: downloading movie  (Read 6023 times)

Offline Ashone

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
downloading movie
« on: July 09, 2012, 05:19:50 AM »
I have never used or owned a tablet or cell phone of any type. Just HOW do you download movies and where do you get them from ?
Thanks in advance!

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
Re: downloading movie
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 07:38:18 AM »
Well technically you can watch movies that you've either downloaded...or you can also watch movies by streaming them to your device through a service such as Netflix, Hulu+ or Google's Play store.   Depending on the movie or video service you use you can get a subscription per month that allows you to stream multiple movies or you can also purchase movies one at a time.   Typically if you're an average movie watcher it's more cost effective to have a subscription or at least rent movies online rather than purchase them outright.  But if you have particular favorites you want to watch multiple times then a purchase might be the better route.

Movies and videos exist as a 'file' just like a word processor document, spreadsheet or App does except in a different format (usually MPEG4, MP4 and H.264) that enables it to play video content.  You  can download a file you've purchased from an online store where it will be saved on your device or you can also take a movie file from your desktop or laptop computer and move the file over to your device via the microUSB connection on the Nexus 7 if it is connected to your computer.

Now most people tend to 'stream' their movies by either subscribing to one of the services I mentioned above which needs a Wi-Fi connection to work.  If you were going traveling on a place let's say that didn't have Wi-Fi available and you wanted to watch a movie then you'd want to download the actual file to your device so you could watch it whenever you wanted without being connected to the internet.  I hope this helps

Here's some links to popular movie/video online services.  There are many more but these are a good start.  Also on your Nexus 7 device will be apps that directly connect you to some of these.

http://Netflix.com
https://play.google.com/store (then select 'movies & tv)
http://www.hulu.com/
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 07:42:24 AM by Babyfacemagee »
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline Ashone

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 10:47:54 AM »
Thank you VERY much and extra thanks for the links !!!

Offline edhunter

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 01:25:13 PM »
Or you could always get the adownloader app ;-)

Offline samalex

• Popularity: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 03:41:50 PM »
I agree with Babyfacemagee and others, streaming is definitely the way to go if you have an Internet connection.  If not Google Play can download the content to your device for offline viewing (more info).  If Amazon Instant Video works on the N7 it can also download content to your device for offline viewing, which will be one of the first things I plan on testing with my N7 since many of our kids programs are from Amazon Instant Video.

Another option for streaming that I'm looking at is getting a Slingbox for our DishNetwork cable box.  Dish calls it TVAnywhere, but it uses the Slingbox technology.  This is basically a device that connects to your cable box and streams the content to your device via the Internet from anywhere.  If you can watch it on your TV you can watch it on your device.  The clients are available in Google Play, and for Dish subscriber the device is only like $40 with no monthly fee.  I'm not sure how much it costs for other providers, but I know most offer similar services.

Offline Drew

• Popularity: 11
  • Transformer Prime, iphone 4, Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 03:57:53 PM »
Sam, I am curious...when you download a movie rental (from Google, Amazon, etc.) does it eventually expire?  Surely they know you have downloaded it to your device, right?
"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live." - Oscar Wilde

Offline samalex

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 07:09:33 AM »
Sam, I am curious...when you download a movie rental (from Google, Amazon, etc.) does it eventually expire?  Surely they know you have downloaded it to your device, right?

Through Amazon you have 30 days to start watching the movie and when you first click Play your 24-48 hour period starts.  After that the movie does expire and auto deletes from your device (More info).  As for movies you buy, those stay on your device definitively, but I assume there's a limit to the number of devices you can put it on similar to how the eBooks work.

But I really hope the Amazon video client works on the N7 because since I've had the Kindle Fire for almost a year now and our BluRay player has the Amazon client as well we've started building a decent collection of content through them. 

Offline ibm650

• Popularity: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 01:18:04 PM »

Through Amazon you have 30 days to start watching the movie and when you first click Play your 24-48 hour period starts.  After that the movie does expire and auto deletes from your device (More info).  As for movies you buy, those stay on your device definitively, but I assume there's a limit to the number of devices you can put it on similar to how the eBooks work.

But I really hope the Amazon video client works on the N7 because since I've had the Kindle Fire for almost a year now and our BluRay player has the Amazon client as well we've started building a decent collection of content through them.

Which Bluray player are you using with the Amazon app, they used to be rare.

Offline samalex

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 02:07:05 PM »

Which Bluray player are you using with the Amazon app, they used to be rare.

It's the Sony BDP-N460 Blu-ray Disc Player, which we bought about two years ago.  It does pretty much everything, Amazon Prime, Hulu+, Netflix, Pandora, Youtube, Flixster, and dozens of others.  Also it still gets updates probably once or twice a month to add new options or fix bugs in existing options, so it's been a nice unit.

Offline RDJW

• Popularity: 2
  • N7 8G, Thrive 16G
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 12:48:42 PM »

Apparently, the current standard for amazon streaming is Flash 11. They say in several places, that adobe flash player 11 does not work on android os higher than 4.0.x.

Does anyone know of a flash player app that will stream amazon video to the N7?
Specialization is for insects.    --R.A.Heinlein

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts