March 28, 2024, 05:46:43 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Backup and Rooting.  (Read 12297 times)

Offline CBers

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
Re: Backup and Rooting.
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2012, 01:13:40 AM »
A quick question, but but how do I get TWRP to run please?

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2012, 05:48:01 AM »
Download GooManager from Google Play and select reboot recovery and you will find TWRP.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

JayJ

Re: Re: Re: Backup and Rooting.
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2012, 02:21:40 PM »
What did I flash, the stock OS but unlocked ??

No the OS is still your original OS, the toolkit uses ADB commands via a Windows command prompt to unlock the device then the tool kit flashes modded "su" binary to your N7 to gain root privledges. Finally SuperSU and the Busybox applications are pushed to your N7.

OK, I have installed TITANIUM backup and performed a backup - is this the best ??

Yes Titanium is the best backup application available, I don't think there is anything available that does what TB does. Check out user reviews and it's download numbers on GP.
Titanium has so many features, just to touch on a few...

Uninstall system apps
Freeze system apps
Back up system and user apps and data(be warned most developers do not advise restore of system apps)
Clean dalvik cache (good when uninstalling system apps)
Extract from nandroid backups...

The list goes on.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 02:27:47 PM by JayJ »

Offline CBers

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2012, 02:38:49 PM »
Thanks JayJ.

So, could I do an app back up with TITANIUM and then use TWRP to install a different ROM and then restore from the app backup to get me back to where I was ??

JayJ

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2012, 03:08:10 PM »
Yes mate, that's exactly what I do all the time when flashing ROM's. Be aware that it's advised against by the likes of Codeworkz and other recognised developers (cheifs) to avoid backing up and restoring system apps, user apps are fine though.

If flashing a custom ROM for the first time...

1. Download ROM and Gapps (most ROM's don't have Gapps included so download seperatley), there are many ROM's available on XDA as you know but there's also Rootzwiki and there are some ROM's for the N7 available on Goo Manager under "Browse compatible ROMs".

2. Reboot to recovery via Goo Manager and perform a backup, it's up to you whether you include Recovery and Cache in the backup as they won't be checked on your first backup and it's also up to you whether you choose to compress the backup file. Before flashing a ROM I would personally recommend backing up your internal user memory (sdcard0), now after a backup is a good time because it will include the backup you've just done. Better safe than sorry so just reboot system and connect to PC to copy and paste the sdcard0 to your PC.

3. Once you've backed up your current ROM wipe the existing, so from Home in TWRP select "Wipe" and then "Factory reset", "Cache", "Dalvik Cache", "System" and "Format Data" one at a time to completely wipe your existing ROM from your N7.
Do NOT under any circumstances try booting after a full wipe

4. Flash your new ROM, from home select "Install" and the TWRP file explorer will appear. Find the ROM you downloaded and if you used Goo Manager it's under...

/sdcard/goomanager

Select the ROM zip and then if your flashing Gapps seperately select "Add More Zipps", again you'll be taken to the TWRP file explorer so select the Gapps you downloaded and swipe to confirm flash. Once flash is complete I always use the option to Wipe Dalvik Cache and Cache again to be sure but that's up to you, Reboot and your done.

Explorer and enjoy your new custom ROM.

Let us know how you get on.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 03:13:59 PM by JayJ »

Offline CBers

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2012, 01:52:30 AM »
Thanks JayJ.

Any ROMs give us anything better than stock?

JayJ

« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2012, 07:37:55 AM »
Paranoid Android is interesting, you can control the user space. You can have Phablet mode which the N7 is in already or Tablet UI without hacking the build.prop, you can also adjust the apps individually.
It's based on CM10 so any bugs are the same as CM10.

There's also CM10 obviously, Codename Android, BAMF and AOKP. These are all available through Goo Manager or you could try Slim Bean available through XDA, I was running Slim ICS on my S2 but I'm running Slim Bean on it.
I'd suggest trying a few out see what you like, they all similar because they're based on AOSP but all have differing tweaks and mods.

Offline CBers

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2012, 09:20:24 AM »
OK, thanks.

Offline CBers

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2012, 04:17:04 AM »
2. Reboot to recovery via Goo Manager and perform a backup, it's up to you whether you include Recovery and Cache in the backup as they won't be checked on your first backup and it's also up to you whether you choose to compress the backup file. Before flashing a ROM I would personally recommend backing up your internal user memory (sdcard0), now after a backup is a good time because it will include the backup you've just done. Better safe than sorry so just reboot system and connect to PC to copy and paste the sdcard0 to your PC.

So is it just the TWRP\BACKUPS folder I need to backup to my PC for safe keeping, or all of sdcard0 ??

JayJ

« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2012, 06:02:52 AM »
Well it depends, if you have anything of importance on your N7 then I'd suggest backing up the whole of your sdcard0. Otherwise just backup the TWRP folder mate.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Backup and Rooting.
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2012, 09:43:21 AM »
Yes mate, that's exactly what I do all the time when flashing ROM's. Be aware that it's advised against by the likes of Codeworkz and other recognised developers (cheifs) to avoid backing up and restoring system apps, user apps are fine though.
What does this mean exactly? Avoid backing up and restoring system apps? I was going to try playing with some roms but now I am totally confused. When I backup my device with titanium I assume it is backing up everything so if I ever had an issue I could go back to exactly where I am or was.

JayJ

« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2012, 11:09:00 AM »
Think your getting confused mate....

TWRP backs up your system, if you have a problem with a ROM or you change something that causes a problem you can just restore the backup after a full wipe within TWRP.

Titanium Backup backs up applications and their data, primarily I use Titanium to back up my user apps and their data for when I either flash a custom ROM or restore a back up that doesn't have newer apps on. I have Titanium set to do automatic backups at set intervals.

Codeworkz (CyanogenMod developer) along with other developers don't recommend using Titanium to restore system apps because restoration of a system app in the custom ROM's they develop can cause problems and thus people bug report and they spend time trying to resolve this problem which wastes their time developing the ROM.
You can if you want but if you post on XDA and seek help you will probably be told that support is not given when system apos are restored.
There's little point backing up system apps anyway as there is nothing of any major importance that can't be replaced anyway.

Hope that helps.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2012, 08:45:49 PM »
Me confused? Absolutely! I understand now. I think. Custom roms don't try and restore system apps.

JayJ

« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2012, 11:58:29 PM »
It's not recommended, put it that way...

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman