March 28, 2024, 02:56:55 PM

collapse

Author Topic: 32GB Nexus 7 Inadvertently Ships To Japanese Customer In 16GB Box  (Read 2102 times)

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile

Is it just me or does it seem that over the past year or two there's been a bizarre trend of manufacturers accidentally shipping unreleased and at times secret devices to consumers in retail boxes.  I know this happened several times with the HP TouchPad where customers were surprised to find Android pre-installed on were supposed to be webOS only devices and today there's a report that a similar product mix-up has happened with a Nexus 7 buyer in Japan. 

It seems those rumors of a 32 GB Nexus 7 are all too true for this one lucky customer who after ordering a 16GB model was surprised to find 27.58GB of available ram when he fired up the device.  Subtracting out the Nexus 7's OS we have what appears to be a full-fledged 32GB model.  It seems a pretty safe bet then that the 'official' announcement for the rest of us should happen pretty soon.  But in the meantime I'd advise all forum members who have or plan to purchase a Nexus 7 recently to check out your available memory.  Who knows...maybe one of you has gotten a 32GB model and don't even know about it yet!

AndroidPolice

Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
Re: 32GB Nexus 7 Inadvertently Ships To Japanese Customer In 16GB Box
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 03:56:51 PM »
This may be another rumor, but I might have heard that the 16Gb and the 32Gb models are one and the same, with the sorage partitioned and locked down.  Is this a possible coincidence?  I know that many PC components work this way, such as a CPU.  The manufacturer produces a batch of chips with the same die.  If they have a high enough percentage of those cores tested in each chip, they will lock all the similar cores for that batch.  So a four core CPU becomes a two core based off of a random probability that it may have a faulty core.  With the proper hardware and software, the locked down two core can become a fully funtional four core.  Given that the rumor is true regarding the 16Gb and 32Gb, this may be a realistic possibility. 

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
Re: 32GB Nexus 7 Inadvertently Ships To Japanese Customer In 16GB Box
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 04:17:06 PM »
I highly doubt that because there have been numerous teardowns of the Nexus 7 at this point and you can physically see the memory that is installed.  If 32GB of ram were installed instead of 16GB I'm sure some of the teardown experts would have noticed this. 
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline Ashone

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts