2012 Nexus 7 Discussion Forums (1st Generation) > Nexus 7 User Tips

replacement for my lost usb charger

(1/2) > >>

Wayne:
Hi,
Can anyone tell me if there is a tested, alternate usb charger to replace my lost unit. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Wayne

loociddreemr:
The main difference with the charger for the Nexus 7 is the current. Typical chargers for most phones provide 5V @ 750mA. The charger for the N7 provides 5V @ 2A. You can use other cords, but the AC adapter is the biggest factor. The cord might even be different too. Standard USB 2.0 connectors are only rated @ 1.5A

Wayne:
Thanks for the reply. I was able to charge the nex7 with a generic usb to micro_b usb sync/data cable from The Source. Seemed to have worked fine but took 16 hrs to complete. I'm wondering if there is any loss of capability without the original charger unit besides a faster charge. There has to a 5v/2a usable usb charger out there somewhere to replace mine - still looking...
regards
Wayne

limbot:
I've charged mine with a 500mA notebook USB port, a 1A external battery pack and the supplied 2A ac charger. :-)

All seen to work fine unlike my Thinkpad Tablet.

loociddreemr:
You are correct.  The only drawback of the lower current supplied is the charge time. 

After looking into power supplies, I was reminded of the power consumption of devices with fruity names. Take a look at the power supplies intended for use with the devices that will not be mentioned here.  The USB AC/DC adapters for those devices after the 3rg gen should supply the current you require, and be quite readily available.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version