March 28, 2024, 04:42:06 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Forum Guide to installing OTA Update 4.1.2 With and Without Root  (Read 17315 times)

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
The Forum Guide to Installing OTA 4.1.2 With and Without Root by S.Prime

Forcing the OTA Update (Over The Air)

You can wait for the update to be pushed to your device or you can force it by this process:

Swipe down from the top of the screen and tap the three horizontal sliders and you will be at Settings > Tap Apps > Swipe left until you reach “All” > Scroll down and tap “Google Services Framework” > Tap “Force Stop” and “Clear Data” > Tap Back twice to return to the “Settings” screen > Scroll down and tap “About tablet” > Tap “System updates” (Note your date will show Dec 1969) > Tap “Check now”

If the system shows “Up to date” return to “Google Services Framework” and repeat the stop and clear data and check for updates process again. Note the process may have to be repeated 4 times to force the update.
When the update appears you have the options to “Save for later” or “Install Now”. If you select later, returning to “About tablet” > “System updates” will display the install option again.
Note, if have previously received the OTA update notification and the install failed you can force the download of the update again with the above procedure.

Stock Nexus 7 (Not Rooted)

Wait for the OTA notification to appear or use the “Force Procedure” above and select “Install Now” and your tablet will reboot and you will note a series of text line messages describing the process and once finished you be returned to your home screen. After reboot go to Settings > About Tablet and you can verify Android version 4.1.2.

Rooted Nexus 7

Step 1

Install Voodoo OTA RootKeeper from Google Play Here and run the App to protect your root as the OTA 4.1.2 will remove root. Optionally install RootCheck Basic from Google Play Here.

Step 2

If you modified your build.prop with RomToolBox goto /sdcard/romtoolbox/build.prop-backups or wherever you have your backup located and copy the backup to \system and rename the current build.prop to build.prop[mod] and then rename the backup to build.prop. If you do not have a backup of the build.prop file, it has been reported that you can edit your current build.prop file and remove the last line “launcher.force_enable_rotation=true”. But I have not tried it, so I am asking someone to verify that removing the line will work.

Step 3

Return to “Settings” > “About tablet” > “system updates” and select “Install Now” and your tablet will reboot and you will note a series of text line messages describing the process and once finished you be returned to your home screen.

Step 4

Open VooDoo RootKeeper and select restore root. Open your SuperUser app and update the binaries or you will not have super user privileges. If you installed RootCheck Basic you can then verify root.

Then go to Settings > About Tablet and you can verify Android version 4.1.2.

Step 5 (Custom recovery option)

TWRP Recovery

Download GooManager from Google Play Here and tap the three dots in the upper right corner and tap "Install OpenRecoveryScript"

ClockworkMod Recovery

Download RomManager from Google Play Here and tap "Flash CloclworkMod Recovery"

Note that you can use either TWRP or ClockworkMod Recovery, both of which allow you to create and restore nandroid backups, but you cannot install both, as running the install for one recovery option with the other already installed will simply replace the previously installed recovery option.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 08:19:15 AM by S.Prime »

IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline radiocycle

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
Re: Forum Guide to installing OTA Update 4.1.2 With and Without Root
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 04:56:55 PM »
This looks very good S.Prime!  Now I can force the update with no problem.  However when I tried to install it, the same thing happened;  I got the red exclamation point and no new version. 

Now do I have to 'unroot' before I can run the update?  Is this what step one is about?  I did use Voodoo to make a copy but it was still rooted.  And I did not modify the build prop.  Any ideas and where to go next??

r
Time flies like arrows... Fruit flies like bananas!

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 05:50:22 PM »
You do not need to unroot, you do needed to protect root. Unroot adds an extra layer of caution as it saves a backup of the root.

Offline S.Prime

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 06:47:14 PM »
Correct, you do not need to unroot, but you need to look at your history and recognize if you have un-installed any pre-installed apps, if you did the OTA may be looking for those files and fail. Remember, that root gives you the ability to expand your device as well as restrict it. You may be at the point that you need to ask JayJ to guide you through a full rom reload.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 06:50:47 PM »
Removing the last line/ rotation true in the build.prop worked for me.
I also temporarily unrooted with RootKeeper until the update rebooted.
I have frozen Pinyin and Magazines but never removed any system apps with Titanium.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 07:07:00 PM by bjs229 »

Offline radiocycle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 06:52:40 PM »
Yup, I did uninstall some stock apps.  I'll never be able to remember which ones though.  Yes, if JayJ could walk me through loading a stock rom that would be cool.  Could I just do a back up and then a factory reset?? Wouldn't that do it?

r

Offline S.Prime

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 07:05:07 PM »
Yes backup with Titanium Backup, but you will need a full ROM reload and JayJ will be your best source. Be patient and let JayJ supply some input.

Offline radiocycle

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 07:13:12 PM »
Got it...

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 07:17:06 PM »
Radio, would you be willing to try out a very close to stock custom ROM until we put together a walkthrough on getting back to stock?

Offline S.Prime

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 07:38:46 PM »
A guide to stock recovery is an excellent idea.

Offline radiocycle

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 08:11:47 PM »
Sure thing loocid...  Now, mine is running fine mind you (except for no camdamera) but I just thought I should be able to update.  'Cuz what if 4.2 comes along some day and I can't update...??!

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 08:17:41 PM »
Radio. I would backup apps with Titanium and then use Wugfresh new toolbox to flash back to the factory rom and go from there. I believe it was updated a couple of days ago. Next time I would try and freeze factory apps instead of removing them because of such problems down the road.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1766475
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 08:19:41 PM by bjs229 »

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 08:33:02 PM »
If anyone has experience with the RAZR prior to Ice Cream Sandwich, then you understand the importance of "the path." In the weeks preceding the upgrade to ICS, there were "leaks" of test build floating all over the place.  These leaks would allow a rooted user to prematurely upgrade to ICS before the OTA.  Some of the leaks were full ROMs; others were updates to previous builds. Once a leak has been installed past a certain point in the upgrade path, there was no turning back because of the locked bootloader. We don't have that problem, but we are similar in that to install an update, you have to be on a specific build. This current update will only install on the JRO03D build. Those on the JRO03S build will most likely receive a different update package. When the time comes for the next upgrade, it will only install on build JZ054K completely unaltered. This means no frozen, disabled, or uninstalled apps. No changes can be made to the build.prop. I advise everyone to make a Nandroid backup immediately after receiving a successful update. This backup can be restored to avoid any issues with the upgrade path regardless of the changes made or what custom ROM you have installed.

Offline radiocycle

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2012, 08:45:42 PM »
Radio. I would backup apps with Titanium and then use Wugfresh new toolbox to flash back to the factory rom and go from there. I believe it was updated a couple of days ago. Next time I would try and freeze factory apps instead of removing them because of such problems down the road.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1766475

Ah, very good bjs... yes now I know.  Next time I will freeze rather than delete.  I did see that caution but chose to ignore it at the time; live and learn!

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2012, 09:15:25 PM »
I am a little stuck now. If I try and reboot recovery I get the android with the red exclamation. One of the choices is to update.. I am already updated to 4.2.1 so I am not sure what it will do. I can't get into TWRP.. Any ideas?

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman