March 29, 2024, 01:25:36 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Want A Google I/O Edition White Nexus 7? It'll Cost Ya!  (Read 2733 times)

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
Want A Google I/O Edition White Nexus 7? It'll Cost Ya!
« on: July 10, 2012, 05:20:12 AM »

As most of you know it was two weeks ago today that Google announced their new 7 inch Android tablet, the Nexus 7 running the new Jelly Bean version of their OS.  If you were lucky enough to be attending the Google I/O event...the annual, national Google pow wow for developers...then you probably received a special Google I/O edition of the Nexus 7 as one of your party favors.   This edition of the tablet is identical to what consumers will be getting in a few days when they start to arrive in our mailboxes except for the color of the back 'leather-like' material.  The Google I/O editions have a white back and the standard editions have a dark gray color. 

But what if you want a part of tech history and would like to nab one of these white Nexus 7s but you weren't an esteemed Android developer that went to the event?  Better yet...what if you could get this 'white' Nexus 7 before all your Android craving friends?  Well good news...there are a number of these developer edition tablets available for purchase on Ebay...right now...although you'll have to pay the price. 

Now to be sure the developers that are selling these white tablets know that they can charge a premium.   It is estimated that about 6000 were given out during the week long event and it would appear by the number of white Nexus 7s floating around on Ebay quite a few have decided to make a quick buck by putting theirs on sale.   Most of them have been opened and used...but are in pristine shape.  I did spot at least one that claims it is still sealed and unopened in the original package.

So just what is that premium you'll pay?  How about an opening bid of $260 for an 8GB model or this one starting at $379!..and those are for units that have been opened and briefly used (although probably 'as new' condition).    Want a 'sealed' white Nexus 7?   How about trying your luck at this one which is starting bidding at $300 but with 6 days left to bid it'll certainly go higher.

So what do you think?  Is it worth spending the extra dough to get one of these Google I/O Edition White Nexus 7s?  Think they'll become collectors items?   How much would YOU pay?

« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 05:59:36 AM by Babyfacemagee »

Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline ibm650

• Popularity: -5
    • View Profile
Re: Want A Google I/O Edition White Nexus 7? It'll Cost Ya!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 07:17:48 AM »
This is our current society where everyone is out for a quick buck.  If I were google, I would explain that they would be blacklisted forever. 

Offline samalex

• Popularity: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 02:40:51 PM »
This is our current society where everyone is out for a quick buck.  If I were google, I would explain that they would be blacklisted forever.

I agree, Google used to be pretty harsh on developers who sold items like this, especially the chrome laptops.  But seriously who would pay that kind of price given the N7 will ship in a matter of days.

Offline edhunter

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 03:42:42 PM »
Looking at the teardown clips it appears that the backing plate would be easily interchangeable as it is connected with retaining brackets. Maybe Asus or a third party may come up with the idea of selling these separately?

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman