March 28, 2024, 07:48:34 PM

collapse

Author Topic: New to the Android OS and Backup and Rooting  (Read 1993 times)

Offline anken32

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
New to the Android OS and Backup and Rooting
« on: October 19, 2012, 04:05:21 PM »
Hi, I have updated to the latest OTA  4.1.2  on my Nexus and have downloaded the latest version of the (Wugfresh) Nexus Tool Kit on the laptop. Also, I
downloaded the "OTA  Root Keeper" from Goggle to my Nexus.  '"USB Debugging" is set.

At this point I would like to back up everything (OS & all of my apps. contacts, etc.) to my Laptop.
Do I have to install the drivers to the laptop first?
Should I use "Shared Data?
Backup to "Virtual SD" Card?
Backup "APN"?
 I figured out  that OTA is the Nexus's OS
What does "TWRP"...."CWM"...CMD"(command?) stand for?
I'm so glad to have found this helpful forum and I appreciate any suggestions you have. Thanks, Ann

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
Re: Re: New to the Android OS and Backup and Rooting
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 05:39:55 PM »
Hi, I have updated to the latest OTA  4.1.2  on my Nexus and have downloaded the latest version of the (Wugfresh) Nexus Tool Kit on the laptop. Also, I
downloaded the "OTA  Root Keeper" from Goggle to my Nexus.  '"USB Debugging" is set.

At this point I would like to back up everything (OS & all of my apps. contacts, etc.) to my Laptop.
Do I have to install the drivers to the laptop first?
Should I use "Shared Data?
Backup to "Virtual SD" Card?
Backup "APN"?
 I figured out  that OTA is the Nexus's OS
What does "TWRP"...."CWM"...CMD"(command?) stand for?
I'm so glad to have found this helpful forum and I appreciate any suggestions you have. Thanks, Ann

To start off, yes, you will need the drivers installed before you are able to proceed with that process. I am assuming that you are intending on rooting your device.  During this process, you will lose all of your apps and data unless you are "backed up" I would first recommend downloading Titanium Backup and backing up system and user apps and data. You will be able to restore them after the rooting process. CWM (ClockworkMod) and TWRP (Team Win Recovery Project) are custom recoveries. These are similar in function, but user preference. I recommend after rooting, perform a backup with the custom recovery of your choice.

Feel free at ask away with any questions. We're more than happy to help
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 05:51:06 PM by loociddreemr »

JayJ

Re: Re: Re: New to the Android OS and Backup and Rooting
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 05:48:03 PM »
I would first recommend downloading Titanium Backup and backing up system and user apps and data. You will be able to restore them after the rooting process.

But wouldn't the N7 need to be rooted to backup with Titanium in the first place??

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
Re: New to the Android OS and Backup and Rooting
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 06:11:58 PM »
You are right.., my bad. I forget...been too long since I've not been rooted on any device!

Can you offer some advice on using the toolkit method without root?

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 07:36:58 PM »
The ToolKit does include the option to backup apps and data without rooting, it uses temporary root under advanced options, if I am understanding correctly, your objective.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline anken32

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 11:48:57 AM »
Thanks to all who took the time to write!
Yes, my intent is to back up all of the files, apps. etc. first.
 Since I'm fairly new to this OS, I'm a little worried about "bricking" my device.  I would  like very much to root when I'm a little more confident, even though the instructions seem very clear.
So....  I need to install the drivers first on the laptop without connecting.  Then do the backup (should I use "system apps & data  AND "shared data" in order to back up everything? Should I use " Backup to Virtual SD Drive" to back up all of the content of my Nexus? Would it be best to use " Nandroid Backup with Custom Recovery"? I have plenty of space on my laptop.
Finally, since this backup is temporary, how much time do I have before rooting the Nexus and then installing Titanium Backup? Do I install it to the laptop?
I'm sorry for all of those questions.....but I appreciate your advice very much. Thanks!

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman