March 28, 2024, 06:48:18 AM

collapse

Author Topic: IPad mini comparisons?  (Read 4808 times)

Offline fxsarge

• Popularity: 15
    • View Profile
IPad mini comparisons?
« on: October 24, 2012, 10:23:52 PM »
I'm very surprised that no one has really mentioned anything about the iPad mini or a comparison or anything so I'll be the first and hopefully this will help people on the fence...

What an overpriced piece of garbage! I mean come on! Their just using old iPhone parts.  The screen is crap with a poor resolution and a lower pixel per inch which means its not as bright as the nexus 7 and with the the new pricing hopefully coming it 130 dollars more for a slower tablet with a worse screen. What garbage! And for all the people who got mad at Google for charging 50 dollars more to double the memory look at apple! Its one hundred dollars! What's up with that?

As you can see I'm less with thrilled with iPad mini but I hate apple. Chime in if you guys feel other wise.

Offline wpb1960

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Re: IPad mini comparisons?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 11:06:22 PM »
From what I have read, most are very displeased with the iPad Mini and its lack of features. Way to high priced and IMHO no competition.

Offline Tiny

• Popularity: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 10:36:20 AM »
I'm old enough to have learned not to pay much attention to the Apple/Windows/Android/Linux etc. comparisons.  The discussions usually turn into flame wars which aren't worth my time or effort.  I like the N7 and others like the iPad.  I've got better maps and they've got a better screen.  So what?

For the same reason, I mostly stay out of the political stuff, the Canon/Sony debates, the white or wheat bread, etc.

For the members who in the future will link this post in rebuttal to something I've said, please notice that I've said "mostly" and usually.
I used to be crazy until I found out that insane pays more.

Where am I?  What am I doing in this handbasket?

Offline Scott99

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 11:44:07 AM »
I'm old enough to have learned not to pay much attention to the Apple/Windows/Android/Linux etc. comparisons.  The discussions usually turn into flame wars which aren't worth my time or effort.  I like the N7 and others like the iPad.  I've got better maps and they've got a better screen.   So what?

For the same reason, I mostly stay out of the political stuff, the Canon/Sony debates, the white or wheat bread, etc.

For the members who in the future will link this post in rebuttal to something I've said, please notice that I've said "mostly" and usually.

When it comes to iPad mini vs Nexus 7, the iPad mini does not have a better screen. In fact, the Nexus 7 has the iPad mini beat in every respect, except the camera in the back of the iPad mini. I was very underwhelmed with Apple's announcement the other day on the iPad mini. And that says a lot, because I like Apple's products (the iPhone specifically).

Offline cliff5550

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 03:16:42 PM »
Every spec comparison I've read has the Nexus 7 hammering the mini ipad. I agree, very underwhelmed.
But, they'll still sell millions because of their promotions, brand, and the fact that millions will never, ever check the comparisons with what's already out there.

Offline fxsarge

• Popularity: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 03:43:40 PM »
I will say what surprises me is that the media is actually saying the iPad mini sucks too. You never really saw anybody talk about how underwhelming the iPhone 5 was (I thought it was a total bust) but their actually speaking up about the mini.

Offline arborij

• Android Nerd
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 04:01:58 PM »
I think the iPad mini is partially getting shot down more than the new iPhone because it's a new device.  Like a lot of Apple products, the general populous will buy them regardless of design and function.  Take the 4s, essentially the same exact device as the 4, save for one widget named siri.  The iPad is basically the same thing, new device label, same guts.  Now look at the mini.  Apple is trying to push its way into an already well established market, with quality competition, and devices people can base opinion on.  They also are banking on their customers Ade foolish enough to buy without question as to quality or function, just because it has worked in the past.  Personally, I think the company is beginning to make a large mistake in assuming people will buy blindly.  I'm glad to see that it appears to be false.
Droid OG (Retired), Droid 2 (Retired), Droid 3(Retired), Droid X (Retired), Droid X2 (Retired)
Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Unlocked, Rooted, Overclocked, Undervoltaged), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (Stock)
Nexus 7 (Unlocked, Rooted, Undervoltaged)
Please click "Thumbs up" if somebody posts something helpf

Offline Scott99

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 11:13:32 AM »
I think the iPad mini is partially getting shot down more than the new iPhone because it's a new device.  Like a lot of Apple products, the general populous will buy them regardless of design and function.  Take the 4s, essentially the same exact device as the 4, save for one widget named siri.  The iPad is basically the same thing, new device label, same guts.  Now look at the mini.  Apple is trying to push its way into an already well established market, with quality competition, and devices people can base opinion on.  They also are banking on their customers Ade foolish enough to buy without question as to quality or function, just because it has worked in the past.  Personally, I think the company is beginning to make a large mistake in assuming people will buy blindly.  I'm glad to see that it appears to be false.

Hate to say that you're incorrect in certain respects. There is a big difference between the iPhone 4 and the 4S, and I should know, I only have the 4. The processor in the 4S (A5) is way better than in the 4 (A4), so much so, that you can't run certain apps as well on the 4 as you can on the 4S. Siri is not the only difference. Also, while the updates in ios 6 have a boatload of improvements for the 4S, only a few of them run on the 4. Single core (iPhone 4) vs Dual Core (iPhone 4S), 5MP camera (4) vs 8MP camera (4S). Lots of differences between the phones.

The differences in iPad versions is just as big, EXCEPT the underwhelming iPad mini, which is basically an iPad 2, shrunken.

Offline akoni103

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 12:37:41 AM »
My first tablet was a Kindle Fire, followed by an iPad 3, a Nexus 7 16 gb then an iPad Mini.  I don't think one device outshines the rest.  I use all three except the Kindle Fire.  As media consumption devices I am fond of all of them.  They all serve me plenty of the net, email, video, books and music.  The screens on all of them are fine to me.  The hype of a retina display on the iPad 3/4 is exaggerated but so is the non retina display of the Mini--  it's fine.  When it comes to magazines the iPad 3 wins hands down but it is big enough it rarely leaves my living room.  The N7 and the Mini are similar in size.  I meant to replace the N7 with the Mini but neither does everything I'd like a small tablet to do.  I travel to sites across the country for a living and want a small tablet for media consumption and for taking notes.  I am an Evernote junkie and my company uses Lync for non email communication.

The N7 fits in my suit coat pocket without a case but I still love the form factor.  What I love most about the N7 is it runs Android without all the bloat.  My HTC Incredible suffered memory leaks due to HTC Sense and I had to reset my device every 5-6 months.  Android 4.2 is the operating system for someone who needs to stay connected.  The feature that makes Android superior to iOS is the notifications.  I use a Google Voice number and installed Groove IP on my N7.  I am able to keep up with almost everyone--  almost.  Swipe as an interface is ingenious and Android has embraced it.  If you use a tablet to take notes swiping is the most effective method to get words on the screen.  The inclusion of GPS was an unexpected bonus for me.  I like Navigation but I paid for Co-Pilot because I don't want to burn my data plan.

With Google Voice I don't get MMS.  When most people send group SMS most carriers turn them into MMS.  I'm now out of the loop.  I tell people their carrier is at fault but that argument seems to be lost on everyone but me.  With no rear camera Skitch is mostly useless to me.  I want to take pictures of issues I need resolved by my support engineers.  Then there's the reliability of Android.  Constantly I find myself waiting for an app that stutters.  For speed I only keep up a three widgets--  a clock, my calender, and greader.  The idea of widgets is great but there is a performance price to pay.  Compared to iOS, Android feels sluggish when I move to different screens.  My N7 suffered from the well documented issue of slowing down to almost uselessness when my data storage reached the 10 gb mark.  I had to reset my device to factory settings more than once.  To add insult to injury Microsoft doesn't seem to be in a hurry to port Lync to the N7.  I guess I'm one of the few that care but this is my review.

The Mini is a very good device.  The haters are wrong.  The hardware may not be as top notch as the iPad 3 or N7 but the experience is still top notch.  There doesn't seem to be any performance loss in the apps I use on the Mini vs the iPad 3.  iOS seems to be inherently smoother than Android.  The icons seem to snap in place when I move from screen to screen.  Apps written for iOS seem to be better coded because the same apps I use on both crash far less often.  There are more apps for iOS for my needs.  Evernote is well supported in iOS.  Skitch is meaningful because of the rear camera.  Microsoft has graced iOS users with Lync.  Support for iOS has been easy for me.  I had an issue with the Mini's wifi radio.  I simply made an appointment at the Apple store and the issue was addressed.  It took hours of searching the Googleverse for the slow down issue I had with the N7.

The Mini hasn't won me over yet.  I've taken both on work trips but I'm still trying to figure out which one meets more of my needs.  The lack of a top notch notification system means I have to constantly open an app to see if I have new mail or IM's.  Even though iOS has great Evernote support the lack of a swipe keyboards means I have to thumb type everything.  Having a connector that isn't 30 pin or micro-usb means more cables to buy.  Thankfully I don't have any 30 pin docks or I'd really be mad.  No GPS is a bummer.  My experience with Siri for navigation has been HORRIBLE<--  really, really bad.   

In the end I don't know which one I really like better.  I love the thoughtfulness of the Android features.  I love the attention to detail iOS has towards the experience of the user.  I really wish Android had magazine apps like Wired and Bon Appetit for the KF and iOS.  (The same two mags on the N7 make me feel like I'm flipping through a big PDF.)  I wish Amazon Prime Instant Video was released for Android.  I wish the N7 had a rear camera.  I think the only way I'll get the smooth and reliable Nexus device I want is if only Google made Android tablets.  If there were only 2-3 models it would be easier for developers to make certify their apps would work as intended.   Then again, the closed model of iOS is the reason Swype isn't available in iTunes.  Siri has led me astray for navigation but I don't like to burn my data on mapping so I'd choose a app anyway but no GPS makes it not an option.

Maybe there's a Surface Pro Mini in my future...

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 01:42:08 AM »
my 4S Was a cool phone. Just too expensive to drive... and the governor, ITunes? Forget about it.
IPad.. Sold it for my first Nexus. Don't need a mini version of the original.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts