March 28, 2024, 05:44:47 AM

collapse

Author Topic: durabilty, etc?  (Read 3431 times)

Offline ge_trojan

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
durabilty, etc?
« on: October 25, 2012, 02:12:18 PM »
I'm just curious as I am considering getting the nexus 7 to go to the smaller tablet. I now have a HP Touchpad that I got when they decided to discontinue them. Got it new for $99. It serves me fine, and I have had zero problems with it in the year+ I've had it.

Anyway, I've been looking at the Nexus and I read a lot about problems with the screens popping up, failing in general. If it is going to fail, I don't need it.

Do I need to worry?

I have also read that they might reduce the price to $99 for the 8GB model. That would be nice.

Thanks,

George

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
Re: durabilty, etc?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 03:24:58 PM »
Sounds like the only positive you percieve by buying one is the size of the Nexus. If that is the case and you are truly happy with the HP speed, reliability and overall goodness, I would stay put.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 03:34:34 PM by bjs229 »

JayJ

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 03:45:22 PM »
Don't believe all you read, there have been problems with the Nexus 7 but what you have to remember is the N7 has sold very well and with all things that sell well you may find the odd one with defects. Overall I believe the N7 to be a fantastic device and great value for money, especially if as you say the price drops on the 8GB or an alternative $99 Nexus is released.

Ultimately the choice is yours though...

Offline ge_trojan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 04:48:30 PM »
Yes, I have been satisfied with the HP, but I like the idea of the 7" pad plus at $99 I "want" something new! But reliable, yes, I want that.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 05:04:21 PM »
My Nexus has its short comings. I have a touch of screen lift and I have what I describe as screen lightning that flashes down every so often. The screen lift is annoying because If I strain I  can see minute dirt that starts to collect in the space but outside of that I love this machine. Do I want a camera on the back? Yes. Do I wish I had a 32? Yes. But in the mean time this tablet replaced my Ipad. I love this machine. It has been reliable. More reliable than my cell phones, my computers . IBM and APPLE and any other device that I have had in the past 46 years.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 05:12:26 PM by bjs229 »

Offline Trankster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 05:06:23 PM »
FWIW my experience with the N7 16gb has been flawless; I think it is well put together and reliable..  I have had it since release and no screen or other issues.  The OTA system upgrades to 4.1.2 also went smootlhly with no problems.  I do keep it in a case (iBlaison slim leather case), never naked.  It goes everywhere either in my messenger bag, back pack or in hand.  I dropped it once on the sidewalk  :o but the case protected it that time.  I know some have reported screen issues and a couple of breaks, but I suspect most have found it to be fine.  If you purchase, buy it with an AMEX card to get a longer warranty.

Offline ge_trojan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 04:47:46 AM »
I appreciate the information. It's encouraging to hear someone with no problems.

Now I wait for the news on Monday for pricing!

Thanks,

George

Offline silvercue

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 10:54:04 AM »
My first Nexus had screen lift, which I ignored, but within a couple of weeks the screen kept failing.  Eventually after less than a month it died.  I returned it to Tescos and they asked what the problem was as they had been "inundated" with returns due to failures. Most  with screens.

My replacement dropped short distance (yes my fault) but was in a protective case and onto a carpet (from a low desk) and the screen cracked and it is now useless.  You can't blame ASUS for people dropping things but I was amazed at how easily it broke.

I am on my third one now in 3 months and I get application errors so constantly I want to throw it out of the window anyway.   I can barely play a game or do anything other than basic stuff without getting app crashes.

If I could go back I would never buy one.  Some people may think that is unfair, but it is simply my opinion.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 10:57:47 AM by silvercue »

Offline ge_trojan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 04:22:40 PM »
 :o Hmmmm.....

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 05:46:47 PM »
Sounds like some operator error involved in two of those.

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 05:53:32 PM »
My first Nexus had screen lift, which I ignored, but within a couple of weeks the screen kept failing.  Eventually after less than a month it died.  I returned it to Tescos and they asked what the problem was as they had been "inundated" with returns due to failures. Most  with screens.

My replacement dropped short distance (yes my fault) but was in a protective case and onto a carpet (from a low desk) and the screen cracked and it is now useless.  You can't blame ASUS for people dropping things but I was amazed at how easily it broke.

I am on my third one now in 3 months and I get application errors so constantly I want to throw it out of the window anyway.   I can barely play a game or do anything other than basic stuff without getting app crashes.

If I could go back I would never buy one.  Some people may think that is unfair, but it is simply my opinion.

I understand silvercue's frustration, but the screen lift is an acknowledged problem and is covered under warranty, as silvercue stated. Dropping your tablet from 12 inches or 12 foot is your fault, as silvercue stated. If a device or OS has operating flaws then they will be echoed by multiple users, so without specifics, I have no comment. I have had a similar experience to silvercue's, but mine was with Toshiba, so I would never purchase from Toshiba again, but I recognize that there are many happy Toshiba users. Personally, I have 3 tablets and the Nexus 7 is the one I use daily, so my suggestion. to you, is that you look at the overall satisfaction of the forum and if you still have reservations, then stay with you HP and never experience  the majority of the forum's satisfaction with the Nexus 7.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 06:15:15 PM »
Maybe you should buy silvers... Sounds like it just needs a good wipe /unlock and root if you decide to go that far

Offline ge_trojan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 12:38:18 PM »
I am still interested in one, just disappointed that they seem to have simply discontinued the 8 GB model and there won't be a chance to get a "super deal."

George

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts