March 28, 2024, 01:20:39 AM

collapse

Author Topic: G'day from Western Australia  (Read 3507 times)

Offline Bobbie

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
G'day from Western Australia
« on: October 27, 2012, 08:45:27 AM »
Sure hope some one out there can help an old chic like me. Just last week I received my long, awaited Nexus 7...it was love at first sight.  Being in my mid 60's I'm basically interested in books, magazines, crafts, mediation, etc.  So I downloaded approx 10 books and roughly the same amount of apps.  First few weeks it was beautiful.  Read a book.  Could see all my books in my library.  Then one day, my books "can't be displayed" started happening.  Then some times they were there...other times they weren't.  So I headed to my laptop and started reading forums.  It led me to believe that I had to do a factory reset. So I did.  Now? My books and acquired apps are gone...as it was expected due to my 'factory reset'.  For whatever reason, I cannot log-in to my google account.  My laptop is my wifi hotspot.  BUT nexus 7 claims it is unable to connect to server.  What the heck do I do now?  Please help.  Thank you.

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
Re: G'day from Western Australia
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 09:41:38 AM »
First of all, welcome to the forum,  Bobbie . You did not mention how your laptop connects to the Internet so if you are using the laptop as a hotspot, I am assuming you don't have WiFi. If you don't have a WiFi router, then purchasing one would be a more reliable solution, but continuing to use the hotspot then delete the named connection by long pressing on it and tapping delete and try to connect agsin.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 02:38:56 PM »
Welcome, Bobbie.

The first thing that comes to mind is the factory reset changed your wi-fi region. Go into settings > advanced > wi-fi region code, and make sure it's Australia.
Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

Offline arborij

• Android Nerd
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 09:16:26 PM »
First off, seldom to the forum.  It's great to have you here.  As for your issue, I agree that it is probably the location setting, so long as the WiFi is hooked up from your laptop.
Droid OG (Retired), Droid 2 (Retired), Droid 3(Retired), Droid X (Retired), Droid X2 (Retired)
Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Unlocked, Rooted, Overclocked, Undervoltaged), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (Stock)
Nexus 7 (Unlocked, Rooted, Undervoltaged)
Please click "Thumbs up" if somebody posts something helpf

JayJ

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 02:23:41 AM »
G'day Bobbie and welcome to the forums.

Offline Bobbie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 01:38:04 AM »
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome.   Aaaaah....I thnk I've gotten myself into a bit of a muddle with my Nexus. 
I thought I'd take the suggested path of:  settings, advanced, wi-fi region, Australia.  However, I can only get through settings and then advanced.  I cannot see "wi-fi region' (location and anything similar) on any screen or drop down menu.
Bit of background:  My laptop has a wireless connection to an Austarlian internet server - Telstra.  Then I downloaded from Mhotspot and set-up a hotspot for my Nexus 7 to use my laptop as a hotspot for the Nexus wifi connection.  All was going good......until......I did the factory reset.  Now on my nexus my personal hotspot claims to be saved, secured with _ _ _.  But now I cannot get a connection. 
As for my google account: I am trying to get the nexus to recognize my account but to no avail. 
When I press another button, the screen reads: press wi-fi protection button on wi-fi router or WPS symbol.  Well, I have searched on the various screens of my internet wireless connector but cannot find any symbol of arrows going in either direction. Nor can I find the letters WPS.
So I though I'd do another factory reset to try and get back to first base. I'm still in a muddle.  and now...would you believe, I cannot open up mhotspot on my laptop. 
It is nearly 4pm here, so I think I'll get that wine glass out of the fridge. 
BYW, any of you from my home state of New jersey?
Cheers,
Bobbie

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 02:40:48 AM »
I Iive 15 minutes from New Jersey.

Offline birdastrompgman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 04:58:04 PM »
I apologize for my incorrect information, Bobbie.  I am running a non-stock ROM.  You and other users will not see a wi-fi region choice in your wi-fi advanced settings menu.  As far as I know, your N7 should use its built-in gps to set your location.

If it will make you feel better, I'll confess neighboring Pennsylvania deemed me unworthy, and locked me out (into New Jersey).  I had walked over the Ben Franklin Bridge from Philadelphia to Camden.  When I got there, the Camden PD took me off the bridge and locked the gate behind me.  There I was, in Camden at dusk, looking like a rich tourist, in shorts with an expensive camera and nothing in my pockets except my room key and a $20 bill.  I had to walk across town to a train station to get back into PA.

But I'm sure you'd rather get your N7 connected.  You'll get your Google account and data synchronization once you connect to the Internet.  The N7 messages about the hotspot being saved by _ _ _ , and a wi-fi protection button are just guesses when the N7 can't find or communicate with the hotspot.

Your solution is pretty simple.  Make sure your laptop is able to get on the Internet itself.  If it can, then reboot the laptop, re-run your mhotspot program, and set up a new hotspot.  Give it a new SSID (hotspot name) and password.  Get your N7 into its wi-fi settings menu, and your new hotspot SSID should appear.  Try to connect to it, and you'll be prompted to enter the password you just created.
Rooted Nexus 7

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 05:20:56 PM »
Do you have any other devices to test the hotspot with? Either way.. I would forget the wifi connection on  your Nexus and then have it try and re recognize the hotspot signal. When you try and connect to the now NEW to your Nexus hotspot account you will prompted for a  password to connect unless you have left the hotspot unsecured.
Hopefully that gets you rolling

Offline birdastrompgman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 05:39:06 PM »
Is there a reason not to connect your N7 directly to the same wireless signal that your laptop uses?  You're adding another level of complexity by tapping off your laptop.
Rooted Nexus 7

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 06:29:54 PM »
Delete THE SAVED HOTspOT from the Nexus and retry.

Offline Bobbie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 06:56:26 PM »
 :D  Woohooo!!!
Thank you, thank you thank you!!! :-*
You guys are fantastic!! 
My Nexus 7 and I are now back in a loving relationship.
Please accept my apologies if I have not used the correct area/arena when seeking help. I'm not that forum-savy.
(Many, many moons ago borne in Newark, then lived 23 years in Hillside)
Cheers to you all,
Bobbie

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 08:03:48 PM »
Glad to help Bobbie.

Offline birdastrompgman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2012, 08:33:41 PM »
I knew you could do it   :D

I've been to South Australia, NSW, and south Queensland.  Western and northern Oz are on my bucket list.
Rooted Nexus 7

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee