March 28, 2024, 03:27:26 PM

collapse

Author Topic: Nexus 7, Google Playstore - "This app is incompatible with your device ...."  (Read 5142 times)

Offline rjmartin

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Hey Everyone :)

I'm new here - I found this forum via Google. I bought a Google Nexus 7 tablet last week for HMV & so far I am loving it!

My problem though is that when attempting to download quite a few apps via Google Playstore I am getting this message "this app is incompatible with your device" - some apps I have had this problem so far with include:

Amazon (I have since downloaded it via the Amazon app store however)
ITV Player
Sky Go
WhatsApp

There are quite a few more too but those are the most high profile ones I can think of. I was just wondering why this is? Is it just my tablet (is there something I need to do to enable me to download these apps) or is it a general thing?

Any help would be most appreciated :)

Cheers, Rob

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
Welcome.  It looks like you're exceeding the capabilities of the N7.

It looks like itv is incompatible because it relies on Adobe Flash, which isn't available on Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) which is the N7 OS.

My guess is whatsapp is incompatible because the N7 doesn't have phone capability.

I can't find sky go, so don't know what its problem is.

The N7 is still new, and many apps are being rewritten to support the N7.  Be patient, and understand the limitations of a $200 tablet.
Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
You can install flash on the n7.  Please do a search for our flash guide.  It's located as a sticky in the rootboard.
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
I have Flash installed on my N7. It doesn't fix the problem that itv apps won't download to N7s.  Once the Google Play Store or Amazon Apps store see it's a Nexus 7 on the downloading end, they won't allow it.  I guess the OP can try sideloading an itv app, and tell us if it works.
Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
Flash sometimes has nothing to do with it. There are still apps that haven't caught up to Jellybean and some devices.
Some games for instance run better or not at all according to some processing /hardware configuration.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 04:29:02 PM by bjs229 »

Offline tfman

• View Profile
Hey Everyone :)
Amazon (I have since downloaded it via the Amazon app store however)
ITV Player
Sky Go
WhatsApp
Any help would be most appreciated :)
Cheers, Rob

SKY GO.........

that is the one that is annoying me !!!
for our US cousins that is the Apple App that allows us to watch SKY TV, the main
and way overpriced UK satelite TV broadcaster.

surely they will update this one for us.

JayJ

Okay to answer your questions...

Amazon, I think there are two versions of this on the Google Play store and one isn't compatible with the Nexus 7.

ITV Player cannot be installed from Google Play, why I don't know. Possibly screen resolution, it's not Jelly Bean because I run JB on my S2 but I'm not sure?
It does work in the N7...like this...

You can't sideload it because it's a private app, I installed it in my S2, used Titanium to back it up, copied the backup files to my Dropbox and then to my N7 and restored with Titanium. As you can see it worked fine.

Sky Go it's Jelly Bean compatible, if you read it's Google Play page then you know that because it does say that BSkyB are currently testing on Jelly Bean.

Or if you'd searched the forum you might have found this thread...

http://www.Nexus7Forum.com/index.php?topic=753.0

And finally as Bird has said, Whatsapp won't work because your N7 doesn't have a Mobile number.

Hope that helps...

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
JJ when you say you are can't side load it because it's a private app. What does that mean exactly? For instance I tried to load the Nfl app from the store but I got the same your device not compatible message. I found the apk on the Web somewhere downloaded it to my device  and installed it. It works but has it limits . It will crash when trying to view media and such.
 If this is unethical I apologize. It was for educational purposes only. It is a free app and no animals were harmed during the testing. So going back, what does a private app mean and what is side loading? I thought what I did was side loading.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 05:09:49 PM by bjs229 »

JayJ

"Sideloading" is installing an application via the apk file from somewhere else other than Google Play. This actually includes Amazon App Store.
So yes, what you done was "sideload" but I wouldn't recommend sideloading apps like the way you have. If I "sideload" then I will only sideload from a known source or apps I have the apk for, you cannot be sure these days with the increase of malware if apps found on the internet are safe.

As for Private apps, my bad, I meant it's a secure app therefore found only under the following file path...

/data/app-asec

These apps from what I know are encrypted, usually for premium apps do why ITV Player is there I don't know, especially as it's free anyway.  Whether an application is placed here is a developer option so up to the dev whether this is included.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 06:49:56 PM by JayJ »

Offline MrFound

• View Profile
whatsapp can be installed   [if you wanna try it, this is from xda ;)  ]

Hello for everyone, Today we going to get Whatsapp in our Beast Tablet Google Nexus 7 (tested WIFI VERSION AND 3G, ALSO WORK WITH ANY TABLET HAVING ANDROID!)

I tested a few versions of whatsapp and could not let me install that got me stuck in call Verification method

THIS HOWTO IS FOR PEOPLE WHO DO NOT HAVE ONE ANDROID PHONE OR WANNA INSTALL WHATSAPP WITH ANOTHER PHONE NUMBER IN TABLET

REMEMBER: YOU CAN ONLY HAVE ONE INSTALLATION OF WHATSAPP BY PHONE NUMBER, IF YOU WANNA USE WHATSAPP ONLY IN YOUR TABLET, PLEASE UNINSTALL WHATSAPP ON DEVICES
USING YOUR PHONE NUMBER.

We need a few programs to start to get working whatsapp in our tablet.

1. Download BLUESTACKS: http://www.bluestacks.com/

This program let you install mobile android apps to PC or MAC

2. Download WhatsApp v2.8.7326: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/68844467/WhatsApp_2_8_7326.apk

Important: This only version let me working whatsapp in my tablet, the newest versions have a security protection

3. Download STR AppGuard: http://files.backes-srt.de/appguard-mobile.apk

4. Install bluestacks and wait download all resources.

- Look for WhatsApp_2_8_7326.apk and right click "Open with BlueStacks APK Installer".
- Let bluestacks install WhatsApp

5. Install WhatsApp in your tablet (DO NOT OPEN WHEN YOU INSTALLED)

after install click DONE!

6. Install STR AppGuard

- Start up open/run appguard.
- Select "Secure a new app"
- Select "Whatsapp"
- Appguard will take you through 3-steps:
  • Scan and secure application
[**] Uninstall existing application
[***] Install secured application

Once the process is completed, within Appguard, you'll need to change Whatsapp Permissions by removing the setting for "Phone calls - read phone status and identity"

7. Setup WhatsApp in BlueStacks

Open Whatsapp into BlueStacks
- Click Accept
- Choose your country phone code
- Enter your phone number and click OK
- Wait
- You will get a WhatsApp 3-digit verification code via SMS in your phone be patient (IF THIS DO NOT WORK WAIT FOR USE CALL VERIFICATION METHOD)
- Close Bluestacks

8. Open WhatsApp in your NEXUS 7

- Click Accept
- Enter the same phone number you setup in bluestacks and click OK
- You going to get a SMS VERIFICATION ERROR (THIS IS NORMAL, OUR TABLET IS NOT A SMARTPHONE  )
- Click call me and you will see a error like "So many attemps...."

9. press menu (3 dots on bottom right corner) then input the code.

10. Your done, congratulations you have WhatsApp working!!!

If you want you can uninstall AppGuard on the tablet and uninstall WhatsApp from BlueStacks (this is secure to do, so you do not be scare)

Easy method to import contacts:
1. Import the contacts from Outlook to a CSV file.
2. Login to Gmail and imported the CSV file.
3. Login to Gmail in your tablet and contacts will be synchronised!Hello for everyone, Today we going to get Whatsapp in our Beast Tablet Google Nexus 7 (tested WIFI VERSION AND 3G, ALSO WORK WITH ANY TABLET HAVING ANDROID!)

I tested a few versions of whatsapp and could not let me install that got me stuck in call Verification method

THIS HOWTO IS FOR PEOPLE WHO DO NOT HAVE ONE ANDROID PHONE OR WANNA INSTALL WHATSAPP WITH ANOTHER PHONE NUMBER IN TABLET

REMEMBER: YOU CAN ONLY HAVE ONE INSTALLATION OF WHATSAPP BY PHONE NUMBER, IF YOU WANNA USE WHATSAPP ONLY IN YOUR TABLET, PLEASE UNINSTALL WHATSAPP ON DEVICES
USING YOUR PHONE NUMBER.

We need a few programs to start to get working whatsapp in our tablet.

1. Download BLUESTACKS: http://www.bluestacks.com/

This program let you install mobile android apps to PC or MAC

2. Download WhatsApp v2.8.7326: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/68844467/WhatsApp_2_8_7326.apk

Important: This only version let me working whatsapp in my tablet, the newest versions have a security protection

3. Download STR AppGuard: http://files.backes-srt.de/appguard-mobile.apk

4. Install bluestacks and wait download all resources.

- Look for WhatsApp_2_8_7326.apk and right click "Open with BlueStacks APK Installer".
- Let bluestacks install WhatsApp

5. Install WhatsApp in your tablet (DO NOT OPEN WHEN YOU INSTALLED)

after install click DONE!

6. Install STR AppGuard

- Start up open/run appguard.
- Select "Secure a new app"
- Select "Whatsapp"
- Appguard will take you through 3-steps:
  • Scan and secure application
[**] Uninstall existing application
[***] Install secured application

Once the process is completed, within Appguard, you'll need to change Whatsapp Permissions by removing the setting for "Phone calls - read phone status and identity"

7. Setup WhatsApp in BlueStacks

Open Whatsapp into BlueStacks
- Click Accept
- Enter your phone number and click OK
- Wait
- You will get a WhatsApp 3-digit verification code via SMS in your phone be patient (IF THIS DO NOT WORK WAIT FOR USE CALL VERIFICATION METHOD)
- Close Bluestacks

8. Open WhatsApp in your NEXUS 7

- Click Accept
- Enter the same phone number you setup in bluestacks and click OK
- You going to get a SMS VERIFICATION ERROR (THIS IS NORMAL, OUR TABLET IS NOT A SMARTPHONE  )
- Click call me and you will see a error like "So many attemps...."

9. press menu (3 dots on bottom right corner) then input the code.

10. Your done, congratulations you have WhatsApp working!!!

If you want you can uninstall AppGuard on the tablet and uninstall WhatsApp from BlueStacks (this is secure to do, so you do not be scare)

Easy method to import contacts:
1. Import the contacts from Outlook to a CSV file.
2. Login to Gmail and imported the CSV file.
3. Login to Gmail in your tablet and contacts will be synchronised!

only use whatsapp from the link i provided(on tablet and bluestack)

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman