March 29, 2024, 04:35:56 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Nexus 7 32 vs Nexus 10  (Read 7520 times)

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
Nexus 7 32 vs Nexus 10
« on: October 31, 2012, 04:10:35 PM »
I swore I was going to stay at ease with my 16 when hearing the news of a possible 32. After all, I have OTG for my usb storage and a 32gb Kingston WiDrive for no strings attached space. Now, the 7/32 is a reality and the Nexus 10 release is right around the corner. I really want a rear camera and HDMI is a plus . The screen resolution looks like it will be breathtaking. Sound is very important to me and I have to say my 7 does not do a good job without an app to boost the volume of the speakers. I don't expect premium audio at even a $500 price point but in the case of my 7 I really strain to hear it sometimes and don't like to crank it because it starts to to distort. Part of the problem is the rear facing setup and addition of my case blocks the sound. I think I saw the 10 will have front speakers. That for me, should help immensely. Again, I understand that when you get into sound quality and speakers we are talking about something that can cost thousands and thousands of dollars. I just would like to know how much better a performer my big brother is. I use Bluetooth for sound now mainly because of the poor performance of the speaker when I first bought it. It's funny, My first tablet I bought on a whim. The Samsung 2 7.0 while browsing at my local Microcenter. I wanted something to run my mp3+G files and nobody in sales could answer the questions so I took a shot. It was on sale and the Nexus wasn't on display. I figured out how to play the files and with a 32gb mini sdcard to add to the 8 gigs of on board I was a happy camper. The speaker was adequate for Netflix and youtube. In my process of shopping backwards I then discovered this forum and the Nexus 7. Quad core.. Jellybeans..and butter. Google madness. etc.. 249$ Where is the catch? Can't be that inexpensive? I asked myself. Ok. No back camera and no micro sd I can live with that and went and exchanged it. Opening that box in the car I was now a NEXUS junkie.
To bring to an end this novel of a post I ask. Is the MSRP for the Nex10 justifiable? Is this machine that is a little bigger that much better? Is it going to perform faster or smoother at times where my Nexus 7 has shown signs of lag?
I am thinking this. If it outperforms my 7 by leaps and bounds I might go for the 16gb and buy a Gauntlet 320 gb wireless drive for about 125 120 bucks and be set.

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
Re: Nexus 7 32 vs Nexus 10
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 05:13:08 PM »
@ bjs229

You have obviously recovered from sticker shock much faster than myself  8) and yes the specs are appealing, but even if I decide that I cannot resist the N10, I still think that it is overpriced to achieve the rate of success that we have seen in the N7. Therefore, my plan is to wait until the N10 is available in my local B&M store, hold it in my hands and then decide, if I can accept paying more than I think the N10 is worth. Please consider that I have two Android Tablets that came on the market at $600+, within the last 1.5 years and and are now at EOL, by the manufacturers, so I will not be the "easy sale" that Google enjoyed with the Nexus 7.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline fxsarge

• Popularity: 15
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Nexus 7 32 vs Nexus 10
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 05:14:59 PM »
@ bjs229

You have obviously recovered from sticker shock much faster than myself  8) and yes the specs are appealing, but even if I decide that I cannot resist the N10, I still think that it is overpriced to achieve the rate of success that we have seen in the N7. Therefore, my plan is to wait until the N10 is available in my local B&M store, hold it in my hands and then decide, if I can accept paying more than I think the N10 is worth. Please consider that I have two Android Tablets that came on the market at $600+, within the last 1.5 years and and are now at EOL, by the manufacturers, so I will not be the "easy sale" that Google enjoyed with the Nexus 7.

Do you really think that the N10 is over priced? How much do you think it actually costs to make?

Offline S.Prime

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 05:39:49 PM »
@ bjs229

Do you really think that the N10 is over priced? How much do you think it actually costs to make?

Apologies, but I don't think that I challenged the price, but I did challenge my expectation of the same success that we have seen in the Nexus 7.

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 05:45:19 PM »
I don't think that the Nexus 10 is overpriced so much as the Nexus 7 was probably a bit UNDERPRICED when it first came out.  The Nexus 10's 2560 x 1600 PLS Screen and the Exynos 5250 Cortex A-15 based processor with Mali T604 GPU are state of the art hardware items and as such the manufacturer is probably not getting great yields in production.   I expect the pricing to adjust down in 6 months time and we'll probably see a 4G LTE version of the Nexus 10 appear with perhaps 64GB of ram at the $499 price point and the other versions drop accordingly perhaps down to the $349 or $299 point for the 16GB version.   

That will take some time however and for those that want the 'latest and greatest' then the Nexus 10 is a fair deal at today's prices when you consider that a similarly equipped iPad is $100 more and lacks the MicroHDMI out and Miracast support.  I'll probably get the $399 version as I'm quite sure someone will be able to create a hack to let us use the microUSB to get data on and off similar to how they've come up with various solutions for the Nexus 7.

I do agree with S. Prime however that we won't see quite as many sales in sheer #s of the Nexus 10 as we do the Nexus 7, but that is to be expected of a higher price point device.   It's no different than why we see more Hondas and Toyotas on the road than Porsches and Ferraris.  The higher up the food (spec) chain you go the fewer people that are willing to pay the cost for the 'best'.  With that said, there are millions of people that wear Timex and Swatch watches.  Not everyone needs a Rolex.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 05:48:21 PM by Babyfacemagee »
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 06:05:03 PM »
 I have not recovered from the sticker shock. I somehow find myself trying to justify the cost of something I haven't laid my own eyes or hands on. I still am stunned at the pretty much no rhyme or reason price hike. I bought the Nexus 7 because I read about it and made the decision even after the horror stories that it was a bargain. I would hate to think that because I am gut hooked now like a lot of people that I will just pay whatever they ask for the next one. Especially after how quickly they are moving forward with the Nex7. People are so confused with the retail pricing in the marketplace that I couldn't even buy a Nexus 7/32 today at my local Staples
That was part of this whole confused rant.
As far as" do you know how much it costs to make a..... I couldn't really give a crap. Electronics are notoriously known as high cost low profit. Profit means you need to sell them. Selling means marketing and past goodwill reliability etc. . I lost some of the ether with this price bomb. I think I will wait and make an educated decision  before I go out on some campaign on how great a value it is. That would be ignorant of me.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 06:09:43 PM by bjs229 »

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 06:20:18 PM »
My thought when deciding on a device was to take a bite out of the Apple . I got rid of my overpriced, under performing Ipad when I bought my Android. Part of that decision was the bang for the buck.

Offline fxsarge

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 08:49:39 PM »
Look if you break down the parts pricing I think its a really good deal because the processor in the N10 alone is more than $100 so how much do you think the screen costs? On the Asus infinity tab its 175 so were already at 275 before you even begin pricing anything else out. This isn't some kind of price bomb its a high end 10" tablet. Expecting to pay nothing for a end device is stupid. As others have said Google made nothing on the N7.

I didn't here people screaming over the price of Asus infinity or the galaxy note 10 either so what gives?

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 09:04:46 PM »
ZZZZZZ_zzzzzzzzzz

Offline CBers

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 03:19:04 AM »
I didn't here people screaming over the price of Asus infinity or the galaxy note 10 either so what gives?

I bought my Nexus 7 as an interim device until the Asus Transformer Infinity came out, but when I saw the price (£600), I decided against it.

I want a 10-inch tablet and have been looking at Samsung's Note 10.1/32Gb (£450) but waited until N10 was announced.

Having compared them, I will now be purchasing an N10/32Gb, even though there is no SD card slot and only dual-core.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 03:28:07 AM by CBers »

Offline fxsarge

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 06:55:57 AM »
The infinity is 499 in the US

Offline CBers

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 08:41:35 AM »
The infinity is 499 in the US
Can only buy it bundled in UK.

Offline S.Prime

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 09:07:53 AM »
New price point for the Nexus 7 .....  :D

Nexus 7 with Rolex Add-on

Build cost:
               16 GB Nexus 7             $199.00
               Duct Tape                             .01
               Rolex                            5000.00 +

ROFLAO

Offline radiocycle

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 09:32:32 AM »
My thought when deciding on a device was to take a bite out of the Apple . I got rid of my overpriced, under performing Ipad when I bought my Android. Part of that decision was the bang for the buck.

Good one bjs!
Time flies like arrows... Fruit flies like bananas!

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 11:52:47 AM »
New price point for the Nexus 7 .....  :D

Nexus 7 with Rolex Add-on

Build cost:
               16 GB Nexus 7             $199.00
               Duct Tape                             .01
               Rolex                            5000.00 +