Just wanted to report for those of you that are interested.
I saw this battery run time on Tom's Hardware that reported a battery run time of 9:40 for a movie with 100% brightness and 50% audio.http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nexus-7-test-jelly-bean,3249-6.html
Tom's test was done with an 8GB model and not with a 32GB model so I decided to run my own test.
- Nexus 7 32GB running 4.1.2
- Brand new configuration - no apps other than what was preloaded
- Downloaded Transformers (as transcoded by the Play storeMy unit ran for 9 hours 22 minutes
So Tom's test ran for 3% longer than my test. Probably within normal variation. I'm not complaining.
- I did have to shut the unit down over night, so whatever power the unit drew when the unit was powered off was not calculated into the run time. Note: When I shut it down, I was at 62% battery, when I turned it back on the battery read 62%.
- Mine is the 32GB model so theoretically more RAM consumes more power to refresh (albeit I am sure negligible amounts of power extra), but in this case, I don't know how much that impacts. I really don't know how much more RAM that 16GB (if any) was used to play the movie. I doubt any. Maybe this accounts for the 3% variation?
Anyway, for those curious, those are my numbers for what it's worth.