March 28, 2024, 05:58:55 PM

collapse

Author Topic: Copied several videos, now most are missing!!!  (Read 6806 times)

Offline spidergirl

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Copied several videos, now most are missing!!!
« on: November 06, 2012, 02:26:39 PM »
Hi,

I copied about 10 videos over, mostly mp4's and when I turned my N7 on the next morning they had disappeared!!! 

I copied and pasted direct from my PC to the sdcard0 location and now only 2 videos are showing.  I did a search and could not find the rest, what is going on???

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
Re: Copied several videos, now most are missing!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 03:08:57 PM »
Welcome to the unreliable world of large file transfer with MTP. Because of the way the Android file system reads content, restart your tablet and see if your content shows up.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 03:19:00 PM »
I downloaded the free Transformers movie that comes with our N7s, and moved it to my USB flash drive, where it resided for weeks.  It showed up as a monster 2.8gb file when I searched for storage hog files and directories.  I left it alone, as I intended to play it. I even tried to run the file by clicking on it with two file explorer programs. 

Then when I tried to play the movie with the Google movies app, it had disappeared.

I agree with Prime about MTP.  Its vagarities will drive you crazy!
Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 03:53:41 PM »
I leave that trannie movie up in the cloud where it belongs. I started to pin it one day and thought better of it. I'm a Megan Fox fan. Hehe. I don't think I have had the problem of files that I know have finished loading from my pc to the tablet and then disappear. That would really freak me out. Why does this occur? Is this issue being fixed?
 I keep my movie files on a 32gb wifi drive so I guess I haven't really had the opportunity to make it happen.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Copied several videos, now most are missing!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 03:56:07 PM »
Hi,

I copied about 10 videos over, mostly mp4's and when I turned my N7 on the next morning they had disappeared!!! 

I copied and pasted direct from my PC to the sdcard0 location and now only 2 videos are showing.  I did a search and could not find the rest, what is going on???
We're they really there at one point? Meaning, You saw them take up the huge amount of storage space on the tablet and then they actually disappeared later on? That is bizarre.

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 04:10:30 PM »
I leave that trannie movie up in the cloud where it belongs. I started to pin it one day and thought better of it. I'm a Megan Fox fan. Hehe. I don't think I have had the problem of files that I know have finished loading from my pc to the tablet and then disappear. That would really freak me out. Why does this occur? Is this issue being fixed?
The movie wasn't worth the time to download it, much less the 2-1/2 hours wasted to watch it.  The only thing I got out of the experience was using the N7 in expanded screen mode

I may be falling into the conspiracy theorist alternate reality, but if Google has the power to remove malware apps, and Amazon removed its Orwell books from users' Kindles...
Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

Offline S.Prime

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 06:20:00 PM »
We have to apologize for highjacking the thread, but forgive me for giving Bird a "thumbs up" on his thoughts on the free "Transformers Movie" that came with our Nexus 7, personalally I was seriously "MM"   8)  (Missing Megan) 

S.Prime

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 06:33:52 PM »
We have to apologize for highjacking the thread, but forgive me for giving Bird a "thumbs up" on his thoughts on the free "Transformers Movie" that came with our Nexus 7, personalally I was seriously "MM"   8)  (Missing Megan) 

S.Prime
LOL!

JayJ

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 07:09:41 PM »

S.Prime

I too would rather have seen Megan Fox in Transformers 3 but can we please have a ban on RHW ever attempting to act again, I say attempting but I'm not even sure she attempted to act in the movie.
If she must be a Transformers 4 can she not speak...it's just too painful...

Back on topic...

Offline spidergirl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 08:02:44 AM »
They were definitely there as I watched a couple of the videos the night before!!!  Now I have to copy over again :(

Offline S.Prime

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 01:54:36 PM »
Something to remember when copying large amounts of data between your tablet and pc using a data cable and MTP, is that Windows file management system may show that the transfer is complete, but MTP, has not completed the transfer. Disconnecting the data cable before the transfer completes will result in no file on the target device because MTP must transfer the entire file for it to show up on the target device. This is by design in MTP, which was originally developed to synchronize between digital assistants and mp3 players.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 04:18:27 PM »
Something to remember when copying large amounts of data between your tablet and pc using a data cable and MTP, is that Windows file management system may show that the transfer is complete, but MTP, has not completed the transfer. Disconnecting the data cable before the transfer completes will result in no file on the target device because MTP must transfer the entire file for it to show up on the target device. This is by design in MTP, which was originally developed to synchronize between digital assistants and mp3 players.
That makes sense. What I don't understand is completing  a file transfer, accessing it one day and it gone the next? Ghost in the machine? What is this phenomenon called?

Offline S.Prime

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 05:42:58 PM »
Note the OP (Original Poster) stated that she copied 10 videos, but that she only played a couple of them
They were definitely there as I watched a couple of the videos the night before!!!  Now I have to copy over again
, so my statement stands that if the 10 videos did not complete, then the only ones to complete are visible after the transfer process is aborted. I understand that the videos may show on your PC as existing on the tablet in the file explorer, but until the MTP transfer completes, they will not be there. As confusing as it is, you have to remember that the Windows File System and MTP are separate file management systems with different purposes and are not totally compatible.

Offline spidergirl

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 05:37:49 AM »
I even downloaded some mp4 direct form the tablet and they too have all gone.  They were fully downloaded as I watched one from start to end!

Offline S.Prime

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 09:17:10 AM »
A couple of questions, what video player are you using and when you state that the videos are gone, are you saying that they are no longer shown in the media list in the video player or have you used a file explorer like Astro or ES File Explorer to verify the files are no longer on your tablet? We may be making some incorrect assumptions about your problem.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman