March 29, 2024, 04:55:57 AM

collapse

Author Topic: travel issues  (Read 1591 times)

Offline Timeless

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
travel issues
« on: November 07, 2012, 02:59:21 PM »
Hi,

I am pleased with my 16GB N7 so far, but as I bought it for traveling, I have one or two real issues from recent experience, can anyone suggest fxes or workarounds (it already has 4.2 SW)

1) Despite being set to "set network date and time" it won't automatically update the clocks to the local time, although it can tell me the local weather.
2) Google play seems to default to the local store, with language and currency, there doesn't seem to be an option to keep it pinned to the "home" store.
3) The credit card attached to the google play account (entered to get the free $25) is not visible when accessing these overseas play stores.
4) The "free" movie (transformers) can be played but not downloaded to the device while in another country.  I wanted to download it to watch on the plane as I came through heathrow.

Generally it seems to have issues dealing with timezone changes and being a "global" device, a shame as other than that it's a much better travel tool than my iPad.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
Re: travel issues
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 08:15:46 PM »
I think all the things you mention are normal, unfortunately.  When I reset my system, it defaulted to Greenwich Mean Time, leaving me to deal with the vagaries of Pacific Daylight or Pacific Standard Time, or other time zones around the country and the world.

Movies have been restricted since the advent of DVDs and DVD country codes.  The distribution rights in different countries for devices, software, and media pretty much assure it won't be easy to use your home credit account for tech purchases around the world.
Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
Re: travel issues
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 09:59:21 PM »
I'm surprised when gps and wifi are connected that it doesn't correct the time.."They" can restrict your store usage but can't get time zone correct?

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
Re: Re: travel issues
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 03:43:08 PM »
Hi,

I am pleased with my 16GB N7 so far, but as I bought it for traveling, I have one or two real issues from recent experience, can anyone suggest fxes or workarounds (it already has 4.2 SW)

Let me clarify. Do you have 4.2 or 4.1.2?

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
Re: Re: travel issues
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 07:07:55 PM »
I'm surprised when gps and wifi are connected that it doesn't correct the time.."They" can restrict your store usage but can't get time zone correct?

Travelers know time is subject to too many strange rules. I stayed on a sheep ranch in South Australia where the local time was half an hour off from Adelaide's time. Arizona is on Mountain Standard,Time even in the summer. Alaska has four time zones

Once I drove from Salt Lake City to El Paso to Chihuahua and took the train to Los Mochis, Sinaloa, on Mexico's Pacific coast. I asked,  and the locals said we were on Pacific time. Great, I slept in an hour, went to the train station the next few morning, and learned we missed the return train by an hour, because Mexican Pacific Time is the same as US Mountain Time.
Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee