March 28, 2024, 01:37:50 PM

collapse

Author Topic: Broke down into the Clear.  (Read 1661 times)

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
Broke down into the Clear.
« on: November 08, 2012, 01:30:39 AM »
I was at Best Buy today. I saw this Hot spot...it's a little square thing with service from Clear. I swore I would not pay a penny more for data. I have Internet at home and a cell phone with unlimited data that I tether under the table. Some people have been getting threatened by Boost to be thrown off the service because of the illegal tethering. It's against the tos. So I have been getting a little squirrelly. I get decent speed but not good enough to keep a movie streaming on Netflix or even keep my Slingbox running nice but I can get online anywhere.
After asking a few questions, 4G? $50 for the unit? 39.99 total a month for 40GB? 59 for unlimited? What if I go over? You can start a new cycle right there sir. Hmmm. What if it doesn't work in my area or just sucks? You have 15 days to try it out for a full refund. 8 devices at once? This little thing? Yes 8. I justified myself into taking one. I'm going to see where 40 gets my family in a month. I figure I can cut my phone down to just calls. I can text from the The Nexus. I figure I can save around 25 bucks a month or so that way, not have to worry about getting snagged tethering and the thing is really fast. We had my kids Xbox live shooting Em up with no lag, daughter on the Internet, and I was watching Slingbox and it was running smooth. Impressed. I might cancel my home service with Comcast. I am going to give it a couple weeks to see if the ether wears off but so far I really like it. I worry that 4G is kind of spotty so we will see how it does when I take a road trip. I'm loving blazing speed on the walks around the hood! I am interested to see the pricing now for powering the new nexus for a month. I might have to make a change...

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Broke down into the Clear.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 01:52:59 AM »
Love this so far. I just found a phone app that works well with Google Voice and am seriously considering the thought of dumping my cell phone.

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 06:36:00 AM »
Is your hotspot using HSPA+ like the upcoming version of the Nexus 7? I have seen a few services popping up as an alternative to AT&T, T Mobile, Verizon offering voice and/or data over HSPA, at a cost savings.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 12:45:57 PM »
As far as I know Clear uses the same 4G network as Sprint. I believe Sprint is CDMA but I admit I am ignorant to the Hspa, Lite and what all these terms mean as far as data is concerned.
The plan is 4G if I go out of a 4G zone I am beat
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 12:47:30 PM by bjs229 »

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt