March 28, 2024, 07:33:34 PM

collapse

Author Topic: stickmount opening  (Read 5303 times)

Offline hog1340

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
stickmount opening
« on: November 10, 2012, 08:13:15 AM »
Hi all,
I just rooted two tablets for my niece and nephew. i installed stickmount and was wondering, is there a way to have a folder/icon on the main screen? i don't want thenm to have to use the file manager or open Dice and scroll thru to the usb stick. I have been looking online and haven't found anything yet.

thanks
Ed

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
Re: stickmount opening
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 09:16:35 AM »
You mean to have a direct icon for the flash drive? Stickmount can be set to automatically mount the drive, but the shortcuts to external devices or network places haven't been ironed out yet.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 09:41:59 AM »
Good question. It is a hassle having to navigate to the USB storage. I hope there is a solution for this soon.

JayJ

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 02:30:37 PM »
What sort of content does the Thumb drive contain?

If it's video content then an app like MX Player can be configured in settings to search the thumb drive once mounted, if it's music then that too can be searched automatically.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 07:18:31 PM by JayJ »

Offline hog1340

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 05:27:35 PM »
Hey Jay
They are movies. i use Dice because there is no lag when using Bluetooth headphones, and the stock player and MX both had lag.
I went thru the setup for dice and didn't see anything but will try to find more info.,

Thanks

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 07:23:37 PM »
I thought the OP wanted the drive to kind of bare its soul as soon as it is connected. So the kids wouldn't have to navigate to far from home.

JayJ

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 07:25:22 PM »
That's fair enough, we all have our preferred video, music and other applications, part of the beauty of Android. I just thought that with MX's ability to search thumb drives once mounted could solve your problem but alas not if your using BT headphones and it causes lag.

Sorry to go off topic but can I ask what BT headphones you use please?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 07:45:46 PM by JayJ »

JayJ

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 07:37:55 PM »
Just installed Dice, here's what you do...

Open Dice and press the home icon at the top right of the screen, now press the little plus icon at the top right. Select local folder and scroll down to storage, tap to select and then tap sdcard0. Scroll down to usbStorage and tap that to select, now press OK.
Now pressing back should take you to scanned folders, if it doesn't press the home button again and select scanned folders. Once on the scanned folders screen, if your videos have not loaded from the Thumb drive, press the three dots, to right and select Reload.

You should now see all videos stored on the thumb drive.

Hope that helps...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 06:33:59 AM by JayJ »

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 01:42:30 AM »
Well done!

Offline CBers

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
Re: Re: stickmount opening
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 03:51:26 AM »
Hi all,
I just rooted two tablets for my niece and nephew. i installed stickmount and was wondering, is there a way to have a folder/icon on the main screen? i don't want thenm to have to use the file manager or open Dice and scroll thru to the usb stick. I have been looking online and haven't found anything yet.

thanks
Ed
In ES FILE EXPLORER, if you long-press on a folder, you get the option to create a Shortcut, which is then placed on your Home Screen. This will then open directly to the folder you chose.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: stickmount opening
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 10:58:14 AM »
Hi all,

thanks
Ed
In ES FILE EXPLORER, if you long-press on a folder, you get the option to create a Shortcut, which is then placed on your Home Screen. This will then open directly to the folder you chose.
nice CBers.
I just realized that the same works with Root Explorer. Sometimes the easiest of Windows like shortcuts just doesn't seem to compute in my head when I am working with Android. I learn a lot everyday working with Android but I  really need to play with more instinct.

Offline CBers

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 02:09:10 PM »
LOL

Offline hog1340

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 08:06:32 AM »
Excellent,
Really appreciate the help.  Youngens will be happy with the ease of use.
The BTW headset I have and have been happy with is the LGB hbs- 700.
They are the ones with the half ring that sits around your neck. Pretty comfortable once you get used to it.
Thanks again all.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts