March 29, 2024, 01:15:22 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Nexus 7 Feature Spotlight: What Are Google+ 'Hangouts'?  (Read 3634 times)

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
Nexus 7 Feature Spotlight: What Are Google+ 'Hangouts'?
« on: July 12, 2012, 09:00:07 AM »

We realize here at Nexus7Forum.com that the Nexus 7 Tablet is going to have a lot of first time tablet owners as well as first time users of Android and Google services joining the fold with some of us more experienced folk.   Thus, we thought we'd start a series of front page articles that highlight some of the really cool features and applications that new inductees to the world of 'Google' might not be familiar with.  One such feature is 'Google  Hangouts'.  So just what are 'Hangouts'?  A 'Hangout' is in its most basic form, a video chat over two or more devices but Google's Hangout feature can also be so much more. 

In a Google  Hangout you can have up to TEN people chatting simultaneously with all of you appearing on screen to everyone else.   The 'Hangout' automatically puts the person that is speaking on the large screen with others in small boxes across the bottom and can detect when the conversation changes to change who is on the main screen.   Of course you can manually select who is on the main screen as well.  There's other cool features too like the ability to simultaneously send text messages to all of those in the Hangout or to select a YouTube video to watch on the main screen with all those in the Hangout watching together.

It's group video chatting made easy and the potential applications really are endless from having your entire family all having a Google Hangout at once, 'Hanging Out' with a group of friends or having a business meeting or conference remotely with everyone taking part in a Google Hangout.  Now all of this is free and all you need is a compatible device (like your Nexus 7) and a Google  account.  Oh, but that's not all Google Hangouts can do...

With 'Hangouts On Air' you can live stream broadcast yourself to the world through your Google  Profile, your 'YouTube' Channel or your personal website.  Again, Google  Hangouts makes what used to be a convoluted and/or costly process as simple as a few clicks.  Your 'Hangout' is automatically saved to your 'YouTube' channel and you can 'share' this video with others.  Imagine hosting your own video blog or show that people around the world can watch...all just using your Nexus 7 or laptop and your Google  account...and all at no cost.   Pretty amazing stuff.

Now there's much more to Google  Hangouts.  As part of Google  you can search and see other popular 'Hangouts' that have been made available to the public to watch.  There's also a bunch of fun tools that can be used to liven up a conversation with friends.   We're even going to be experimenting a bit here at the Nexus7Forum.com and host a few Hangouts of our own for forum members and see how we can integrate this into the community.  Wanna learn more?  Head on over to the link below.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 05:11:29 PM by Babyfacemagee »

Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline stinkyjak

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Nexus 7 Feature Spotlight: What Are Google+ 'Hangouts'?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 09:51:23 AM »
I think they were using Google hangout to demo the Google Glass Project at the I/O conference.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 05:12:11 PM by Babyfacemagee »
"I don't want to conquer anything. I just think the guy with the most freedom in this whole ocean... is the Pirate King!" Monkey D Luffy

Offline LanceJ

• Popularity: 4
    • View Profile
Nexus 7 Feature Spotlight: What Are Google+ 'Hangouts'?
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 10:28:48 AM »
I think they were using Google hangout to demo the Google Glass Project at the I/O conference.

They were... They even stated that fact multiple times.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 05:12:50 PM by Babyfacemagee »

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 10:33:34 AM »
Yes...good post.   Shows what can be done with the technology.
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline samalex

• Popularity: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 10:43:24 AM »
Yes...good post.   Shows what can be done with the technology.

Thanks Babyfacemagee for writing all that up!  Hangouts are definitely one of the most underutilized features of Google Plus since it has many of the same features as Skype and Facetime but with more bells and whistles.  I love that the N7 will have a camera and microphone because I'll finally be able to participate in Hangouts :)  My laptop has a camera, but it went out about a year ago, and I've been too lazy to pull one of my older cameras from storage.

Also I've started to see lots of video podcasts being created through Hangouts, one such being the Weekly Space Hangout hosted by Fraser Cain through CosmoQuest.  If you watch their videos the flow is just natural in how Google Hangouts moves between whoever's speaking, just as if everyone was in the same room.

Hopefully more people will start using this as it becomes more popular, and I'd bet many people who use Skype or even commercial video conference apps will start to move to this.  Pretty nice technology here.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman