March 28, 2024, 10:50:30 AM

collapse

Author Topic: How to change my backed up files back from Adobe  (Read 1768 times)

Offline anken32

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
How to change my backed up files back from Adobe
« on: November 08, 2012, 04:55:02 PM »
Hi, I have backed up my N7 files (shared data backup and total backup) using the Wugfresh Toolkit. Accidentally, I changed the file "opening with with Adobe"
Now of course they will not open. I need to change the file extension back to .ab
 I can right click the Adobe Files and go to "open with" and browse. My problem is that I don't know what to use with "open with"
Does anybody have any suggestion?
I'm planning on rooting (& donating to the developer for a great program) at a later date because I want to make sure that I have everything backed up properly.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
Re: How to change my backed up files back from Adobe
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 06:56:22 PM »
Your file association in windows is irrelevant, because you will never open the files in the Windows environment, the backup or recovery will occur in an "ADB Shell", I have not seen the code, so I do not know the command line input, but the bottom line is the any backup or recovery occurs outside of the Windows environment.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 07:35:42 PM by S.Prime »
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline anken32

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 05:05:35 PM »
Thank you for clearing up the file types with Windows environment and that it opens outside Windows . The type of file is still listed as AB File. I just don't remember how the backup file is used.
If I would need to restore those backup files, would not "open with Adobe" be in the way of restoring?
I'm sorry but it's confusing for me...How do I get to the ADB Shell? I have included a picture with those files as an attachment and hope that it might help explaining my problem.. Those backups too a long time and if I don't have to do it again would be so much better. Again, thanks for your help.

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 05:39:50 PM »
Adb shell can be accessed from your pc by pressing start, then typing "cmd" at the run prompt and pressing enter. After the window opens, type "adb shell" and presses enter. This is used to giver commands to the device while it is booted.

I wouldn't worry about using this interface with the files manually. The application will open the backup file regardless of the prior application association. Think of it this way, the file association opens an application to run the file. Since the backup file is opened by the application, not vice versa, the association is irrelevant.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 05:44:58 PM by loociddreemr »

Offline anken32

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 06:03:47 PM »
Thanks for explaining about the adb shell.
So, it doesn't matter if the backup icon is changed to Adobe Reader?  The backups will still be usable?
Sorry, that I didn't have the chance to reply sooner but I appreciate your advice very much.

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 07:46:13 PM »
You are correct. The icon does not matter.

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 08:32:33 PM »
If you do find the need to run adb commands, remember, that adb.exe runs from a command prompt, so if you do not have adb.exe in your path, you will have to open the command prompt in the folder where adb.exe resides or the adb commands will not function.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline anken32

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 10:12:50 PM »
Again, thank you both so much for putting my mind at ease and for your patients!!

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman