April 19, 2024, 04:36:38 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Using Nexus 7 for internet pages  (Read 2869 times)

Offline brycej

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Using Nexus 7 for internet pages
« on: November 04, 2012, 03:56:37 PM »
Are most pages too scrunged?  Are the webpages available thru wifi?  A lot of expanding and contracting with web pages?

I would like to see one in person to decide whether I can get by with a Nexus 7 or have to go to a 10.

Live in the boonies and no store around here sells them.

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
Re: Using Nexus 7 for internet pages
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 10:28:22 PM »
Text is awfully tiny in portrait mode with any borders, and is tolerable when you stretch pages to fill the frame. Landscape mode is easily legible.

Put it another way.  the minimum type size allowed in US food labeling is 1/16".  The type size on a typical web page in landscape mode is considerably smaller, and it's even smaller in portrait mode.
Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

Offline erik

• Popularity: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 11:26:55 AM »
I don't like how 7" tablets render webpages. It's not really the fault of Google or the Nexus 7 team; the problem is that most sites at the moment don't do a good job of serving of pages for mobile devices. This will change over time, as more sites clue in and use responsive design and HTML 5 to render pages. But for now, I virtually never bother to open Chrome on my Nexus 7 because most websites look terrible, so I do all my web surfing on my desktop.

However, all is not lost. I'd suggest you use some combination of Flipboard, Instapaper, and an RSS reader like Google Reader. Each of these apps will extract the text of a website's page, and reformat it for nice display on your Nexus 7. You'll have beautifully formatted text of whatever you want to read.

I think iPads still have the best RSS readers, so I personally use Mr. Reader on my iPad and Instapaper on my Nexus 7. There's a nice version of Flipboard available from the Google Play Store.

Offline Bigtroutz

• Popularity: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 11:43:11 PM »
Yes, webpages serve fine thru your wifi.

Most pages are readable but messed up in landscape and not very nice in portrait.

However, you can use a FREE app like Pocket / Read it later to mark pages/photos/videos on your desktop and then they will sync to be read later on your Tablet or your desktop.

I have attached a nexus7 screenshot sample so you can see what it looks like
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 12:02:34 AM by Bigtroutz »

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 12:10:56 AM »
You can enlarge the text in settings/accessibility. It makes it a lot easier to read if it is an issue. I can't say browsing is ideal on a 7" device but it is all relative. I have browsed on a cell phone and on a 50" tv. Every device seems to have its in betweens. I love the feel of the 7 but I really am wanting to experience the 10. I was pleasantly surprised how well enlarging the text works.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 12:13:53 AM by bjs229 »

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 01:42:29 AM »
Did you try and enlarge the text? Did it work for you?

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman