March 29, 2024, 04:43:21 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Dropped Nexuses and cracked screens  (Read 12150 times)

Tsarli

Dropped Nexuses and cracked screens
« on: November 09, 2012, 12:08:51 AM »
Been reading disturbing posts on Android Central about dropped Nexus 7s and cracked screens. Judging from the posts, apparently it doesn't take a lot to crack the Nexus 7's screen.

Anyone here drop their Nexus 7? How did things turn out?

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
Re: Dropped Nexuses and cracked screens
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 12:34:53 AM »
The horror stories about the Nexus really annoy me. It is a $250 piece of genius. It is a computer and glass and it is fragile.  Google priced it so everyone could own one and hook them up on top of the home as far as Android operating system. Flawless? No. The people that are on board intellectually understand the positives and the negatives of the device. Then you have the haters or should I say folks that just want to complain that it didn't understand me when I was speaking with a 40 oz in my mouth and a blunt in the other.
Dropping any glass object is an odds on favorite to break. Please find me a place where I can bet if the Iphad will smash when dropped.
I have dropped mine many times but on carpet. I have a cloth cover. I have been lucky. There is a video that BTM posted, showing them drop the devices and the damage . I guess u missed it.
This thing is a fragile machine. It's like a 250 dollar baby. If you drop it on a hard surface it will break. What do you want a titanium and rubber bezel with a kevlar screen protector? It's a computer. Chances are unless it is in a real good case it will break. I never think like I should be able to drop my computer on the hard floor and it shouldn't have any damage.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 12:53:57 AM by bjs229 »

Offline ge_trojan

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 06:29:23 AM »
Your post is offensive. A legitimate question was asked and you responded as a jerk!

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 06:56:38 AM »
Let me intervene, we have many members who are passionate about the Nexus 7, just as the "Fan boys" are passionate about IOS, and are just as quick to defend their devices. That said, I am taking the OP as having posted real concern rather than an attempt to put a bad face on our tablet. Therefore in answer, we may have had reports of damage from drops, but I cannot remember one specifically. If you are concerned about protection for your Nexus 7, I suggest looking at the Portenzo cases, which I reviewed in our forum, as it fully encloses the device and offers excellent protection. Portenzo review Here.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 08:44:51 AM by S.Prime »
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Tsarli

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 09:46:21 AM »
Thanks S Prime for giving me the benefit of the doubt, and yes what I voiced was a legitimate and immediate concern. I guess anyone in his right mind would be worried about drops and its effect on their precious investment. I just wanted some first hand and real world experience from other Nexus owners in this forum.

To be fair, I think it is safe to say that in the majority of incidents, it's the owners who are at fault. But I'm not really interested in assigning blame. All I want to know is if anyone here experienced dropping their N7s and what happened.

Oh BTW, thanks S Prime for posting the link to your great review. That is quite an elegant case. But I think I'll be going for toughness and protection first rather than elegance. I just wanted to know if the Nexus 7 is fragile to the point that I need to shell out $50 for that outrageously priced Gumbdrop case. I sure hope not.

Offline fxsarge

• Popularity: 15
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Dropped Nexuses and cracked screens
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 10:39:09 AM »
Your post is offensive. A legitimate question was asked and you responded as a jerk!

Just saying.... he told it like it is. Would you drop your laptop or smart phone? Gumdrop cases are great too.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 12:14:46 PM »
I am sorry Tsarli. I really wasn't trying to direct my rant at you personally. Reading the post back today I can see that it can be perceived as personal. I really was just pissed at the people that passed on to you that this device glass breaks very easily . I am annoyed about people breaking their devices under ridiculous circumstances, complains in an open forum and then someone reads it and takes it to heart and doesn't even get the chance to enjoy this device.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 12:29:21 PM by bjs229 »

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 12:28:53 PM »
Thanks for the clarification bjs229.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Dropped Nexuses and cracked screens
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 12:36:24 PM »
I apologize for upsetting anyone. The post set me off about a generic problem in these forums.
I don't believe I personally called anyone names. Now that is offensive.

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 02:15:40 PM »
I've dropped mine several times. On hardwood and on concrete. Always in the case though. I have a folio style case.

Offline Gunner6101

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 02:55:38 PM »
I've never dropped mine and it never left my house until I got a case for it

Offline n3vry

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 03:47:50 PM »
I dropped mine on asphalt getting out of the car, only damage is a small dent on lower right corner. But the sound of it hitting the asphalt was horrifying.

Tsarli

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 08:38:14 PM »
Hey bjs229 no worries, no offense taken. I figured your "spirited" reply wasn't meant for me specifically. I'd be upset too if people started dissing on the N7. Some folks really don't know how to take care of their stuff (N7 in the backpocket!?!). But for some, well, no matter how carefully they baby their N7s, accidents still happen.  I guess we can learn from others' costly mistakes.

And judging from the experience of others, looks like a case can prove to be a lifesaver. The question now is, which case provides sufficient protection. Folio type cases? (effective for loociddreemr) TPU skins (yours truly)? Or the G-Shock inspired Gumdrop?

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2012, 08:48:37 PM »
Thanks Tsarli.
I am most concerned about dropping something directly on the glass like my cell phone. That seems the most vulnerable area even with a case.

Offline silvercue

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 09:34:44 AM »
I can answer from experience.

I am on my 3rd Nexus.  the second dropped a short distance (low table) onto soft carpet and was in a highly recommended cover case.  It broke the screen and was useless.

I know this is not the fault of ASUS, but I was, and am, surprised that it broke after such a small knock.

I have had mobiles that can stand 50+ drops and others that are delicate - devices vary in strength and my experience is that a slight breeze could break my Nexus.

I hope my experience does not upset anyone on here that reacts like a teenager in a PlayStation Vs XBOX debate when anything not 100% positive is said about their beloved Nexus or Android OS.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman