March 28, 2024, 05:45:13 PM

collapse

Author Topic: N7 used as in car Navigation  (Read 3382 times)

Offline sftamx1

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
N7 used as in car Navigation
« on: November 10, 2012, 07:39:24 PM »
Does anyone here use the N7 as a navigation device on trips? If so, how would you rate it as far as accuracy and ease of use? Thanks for any recommendations! 

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
Re: N7 used as in car Navigation
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 08:39:18 PM »
Very easy to use and very accurate. They make some mistakes occasionally but it isn't like it used to be with a voice taking you on a wild goose chase.

Offline snevel

• View Profile
Re: Re: N7 used as in car Navigation
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 08:40:31 PM »
Does anyone here use the N7 as a navigation device on trips? If so, how would you rate it as far as accuracy and ease of use? Thanks for any recommendations!

I've used mine many times for turn by turn navigation. With the caveat that you need a wifi connection to set the course it works pretty well.

The voice gives plenty of warning for upcoming turns and the map display tracks your position very accurately. It even handles gps loss gracefully.

A couple of things to note..

It cannot deal with deviations from the calculated course.
I haven't found a way to get it calculate alternate such as avoiding freeways.

My comments apply to the voice navigation feature. It might be possible to get the voice e nav app to use a Google maps alternate, but I don't know how.

I hope this helps.

Simeon

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 12:00:42 AM »
You don't need wifi. You can setup a map of your area for offline use. That way in the case of no connection  you are golden.

Offline Gunner6101

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 02:59:23 AM »
Or you can just tether to a rooted phone but my galaxy nexus works just fine so ill stick with it

Offline snevel

• View Profile
Re: Re: N7 used as in car Navigation
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 05:30:29 PM »
You don't need wifi. You can setup a map of your area for offline use. That way in the case of no connection  you are golden.

Even with offline maps saved you still need a data connection in order to have the route calculated.

Simeon

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: N7 used as in car Navigation
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 07:08:13 PM »

Even with offline maps saved you still need a data connection in order to have the route calculated.

Simeon
Was not aware of that. I thought that once it was saved you could use it while in the area. What is the use of having it then?

Offline silvercue

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 05:08:17 AM »
I have used the N7 when I went to France.  I downloaded FREESAT and the map pack for France.

I used WIFI when I put the address in.  However, if you use this app please remember that you have to download postcodes seperately.

However, this App DOES recalcualte routes on the fly.  I know this as I frequently took the wrong roads and it recalcualted on the fly.

The app and N7 worked well togethor (until the N7 broke).  There is voice too.

Only slight issue with it is that it seems to favour main roads, like motorways, even if there is probablya  quicker route.  I tested it my home town also before relying in it in France and would often take very strange and convoluted routes when there was a road straight to destination.

However, for big journies it is excellent IMHO.

Offline snevel

• View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Re: N7 used as in car Navigation
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 09:56:03 AM »

Was not aware of that. I thought that once it was saved you could use it while in the area. What is the use of having it then?

The off–line maps are still available inside the Google maps app and are can even be used by other apps.

Offline blue_bullet

• Popularity: 3
  • Gettin' by on gettin' by
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Re: N7 used as in car Navigation
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 01:13:05 PM »

The off–line maps are still available inside the Google maps app and are can even be used by other apps.
I have downloaded maps viz a viz "Google Navigate to xyz".  Once underway I am without an internet connection in my vehicle.  I have tried to trick her by taking short cuts, but she always catches back up to me as I near my destination.  So I am not as clever as I thought.  Pretty nice program.

One time I did say "Navigate to Spokane International Airport" and she tried to route me to someplace just south of Kelowna, BC.  That may have been revenge for my past misdeeds.   ;D

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman