March 28, 2024, 04:05:09 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Anybody getting an LG Nexus 4?  (Read 3763 times)

JayJ

Anybody getting an LG Nexus 4?
« on: November 10, 2012, 08:02:09 PM »
Okay so I've owned several Android devices, well just three actually.
My first Android device was a Sony Ericsson Xperia X10i, then my Samsung Galaxy S2 and now my Nexus 7, all have been rooted and at some point I've run custom ROM's on them but after owning the N7 I'm in love with the AOSP UI and to be honest I'm bored of my S2 so on Tuesday I will be ordering a Nexus 4 from Google Play.

Anybody else considering the N4?

PS. I've also already got a 32GB N7 on order too...

Offline fxsarge

• Popularity: 15
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody getting an LG Nexus 4?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 11:29:36 PM »
I dunno. I really like it I have no complaints (other than lg) but I don't know if I really need it since I have my galaxy nexus still.

JayJ

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 12:06:04 AM »
My Nexus 7 is my first and only Nexus device, I'm fed up with waiting for updates from OEM's. I think OEM phones with their hideous and bloated UI skins spoil the Android experience, yes you can root and flash custom ROM's but I just want to experience Android the way it is meant to be, so that's why I'm choosing the N4. I was actually thinking about getting a Gnex but with the price point of the N4, it's a no brainer for me really...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 12:14:17 AM by JayJ »

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 12:17:19 AM »
I would have one already if I could use it with my existing carrier. I have Verizon though, so its a no go until I'm out of contract. I'm hoping a Nexus device is released for CDMA/LTE.

JayJ

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 01:33:30 AM »
Thankfully or unfortunately, depending in how you look at it I don't have that worry because we don't have LTE here in the UK yet.
EE (Everything Everywhere) are releasing it soon this year (probably not in my area mind) but the other carriers ie Vodafone UK, O2 etc won't be until next year.
So that's another reason I'm going for the N4, my existing contract doesn't end until next year and I can have a shiny new phone, use my existing contract and when my contract is up I'll see how LTE is doing here and whether it's viable. Failing that I'll get a pre-pay SIM until LTE is available in my area.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 06:31:56 AM by JayJ »

Offline Gunner6101

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Anybody getting an LG Nexus 4?
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 02:51:02 AM »
My Nexus 7 is my first and only Nexus device, I'm fed up with waiting for updates from OEM's. I think OEM phones with their hideous and bloated UI skins spoil the Android experience, yes you can root and flash custom ROM's but I just want to experience Android the way it is meant to be, so that's why I'm choosing the N4. I was actually thinking about getting a Gnex but with the price point of the N4, it's a no brainer for me really...

I feel the same way

Offline fxsarge

• Popularity: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 08:17:23 AM »

That's truth. I've had several Android devices and the galaxy Nexis was my first nexus and after ingot that email from Google saying Congrats on buying a nexus I was sold. I will never buy anything other than a nexus again unless its something really cool.

Offline blue_bullet

• Popularity: 3
  • Gettin' by on gettin' by
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 12:17:52 PM »
I would have one already if I could use it with my existing carrier. I have Verizon though, so its a no go until I'm out of contract. I'm hoping a Nexus device is released for CDMA/LTE.
Many of us are locked in to using Verizon simply because of coverage issues.  Google will sell a lot more N4's if they get that resolved either with Verizon or by making a version that works with Verizon.  In the meantime many of  us will just wait and watch. 

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 12:35:28 PM »
I don't have much of an issue with having Verizon. The coverage is great in my area, and the speed is hands down better than anything else. Unfortunately, "Big Red" is so wrapped up red tape that it's driving customers away. The update issue being one of them.  Another being locked bootloaders. If I upgrade my device, I lose my grandfathered unlimited data. The list goes on. The nexus handset solves all these issues. I wonder what bureaucracy is keeping a nexus device from the LTE network...

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 01:08:46 PM »
Even though, I am a Verizon customer, I find the oligopoly spearheaded by Verizon and AT&T unpalatable, and would jump ship in a moment, given an acceptable alternative. I am encouraged by seeing alternatives like Simple Mobile which will apparently support the Nexus 4 and hope that this is the first straw to the camel's back.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

JayJ

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 02:11:57 PM »
Even after the mess that was the launch of the Nexus 7, Google managed to do it again with the Nexus 4. They not only suffered server crashes on the day of launch and this is a company with the web presence they have but they have sold more N4's than they actually have in stock. Disgraceful Google....

Here's a quote from the email I received just over an hour ago...

Thank you for your recent purchase on Google Play.  Due to overwhelming demand, your Nexus 4 is on backorder and is expected to ship within three weeks. We’ll send you a notification when your order has shipped and will credit the shipping charges.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 02:20:10 PM »
That sucks. That is why I almost always buy at a brick and mortar store. That and the instant gratification.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 02:21:59 PM »
Sorry to hear you'll have to wait a few weeks for your N4 JayJ.   At least it'll give you something to look forward to.
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

JayJ

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 02:59:56 PM »
Cheers guys, very disappointing service from Google. The worse part is that it's taken them two days to notify me of this...

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 04:29:31 PM »
Cheers guys, very disappointing service from Google. The worse part is that it's taken them two days to notify me of this...
That is really annoying.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts