March 29, 2024, 08:08:32 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Why do we have to `root` for so many things?  (Read 2701 times)

Offline Gasman

• Popularity: -1
    • View Profile
Why do we have to `root` for so many things?
« on: November 11, 2012, 01:40:01 PM »
Hi peeps
Waiting patiently for my N7 to arrive but reading the forum it appears that some uses of the Nexus ie flash storage cards and such like require the Nexus to be rooted or unlocked which I assume is something akin to the Admin/user settings in Windows?. I`m just wondering why rooting the N7 seems to carry such a risk and involves much holding of breath,crossing fingers etc when the option in Windows is if you run stuff as Admin then you risk damaging your operating system and hence no pc so its your choice to do so but it seems rooting an N7 device to enable `Admin` features carry`s the same if not greater risk so again user choice so why do Nexus make it so hard to do?. Do the Nexus 7 makers or Google stand to loose something if we root our devices or have I got it completely wrong? Maybe all will become clearer when I get my N7?
Best
Steve
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 01:48:59 PM by Gasman »

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
Re: Why do we have to `root` for so many things?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 01:48:08 PM »
I'm not sure about what you mean by Nexus making it so hard to do? I don't  program so I can easily attest that Rooting the Nexus 7 can be done with a "One click Method" Most of the horror stories you read are easily worked out or sometimes just operator error. With some of the programs out there dedicated to the Nexus I would be hard pressed to truly brick it. As far as rooting. You sound like you have some knowledge about administration privilege and if you can gain access to it and it gives you a true advantage, why not use it?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 01:52:39 PM by bjs229 »

Offline Gasman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 01:59:20 PM »
Thanks for the speedy reply Bjs ;-). Do you know if rooting the N7 will invalidate any warranty?
Steve

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Why do we have to `root` for so many things?
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 02:40:01 PM »
Thanks for the speedy reply Bjs ;-). Do you know if rooting the N7 will invalidate any warranty?
Steve
Yes. It will invalidate the warranty. Good news is that with the tools available, under most circumstances will be able to restore to a stock Image if you have to present your device to the powers to be.

JayJ

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 04:09:24 PM »
Rooting isn't dangerous, like running Administrative it's what you do after rooting that can harm your device.

Offline Bigtroutz

• Popularity: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 07:11:36 PM »
...require the Nexus to be rooted or unlocked which I assume is something akin to the Admin/user settings in Windows?. I`m just wondering why rooting the N7 seems to carry such a risk ...
Steve

Actually, rooting your Android device is the same as installing a whole new version of Windows with kernal (base parts of the operating system) modifications written by some non-MS programmer, not simply changing your permissions level (Admin).  There is a certain amount of risk in all things and life is full of choices that increase or decrease certain risks in order to gain something in exchange. 

Google / Asus customized the Android 4.1 version installed on the Nexus to both match the devices' inherent capabilities and their marketing aims.  We root the device (change aspects of the Android 4.1 kernal) to allow some 'enhancements' which we consider improved capabilities.  The various versions allow various enhancements like improved memory card I/O routines or alterations to Screen grid mapping, etc.  The risks are the possibilities of unintended bugs that cause OS malfunctions (crashes) and the gains are new capabilities.

It is pretty hard for software to damage hardware but it can happen and that is what 'bricks' a device (makes the hardware unusable).  It generally is pretty rare for this to happen and is very unlikely if you use previously well tested kernal versions and installation programming.  The fact that unlike most PCs, the nexus 7 is has no replaceable hardware modularity means if you break something, repair is difficult.

Unless you have a burning need for root enhancements, you can always use your default configuration until the warranty expires and then try rooting for the fun of it.  I personally see most enhancements added by rooting as trivial to minor but everyone has different needs and desires.  I will wait a while before I root the device - and will do so just to have some fun with it.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 07:13:41 PM by Bigtroutz »

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 08:30:27 PM »
Additionally, some Nexus 7 owners, root their devices, which includes unlocking the bootloader, installing a super user app, and adding additional android commands and optionally installing a custom recovery. At this point, many users, like myself, enjoy the benefits of root, without replacing the stock OS, with a custom ROM. Admittedly, in the event that I find a custom ROM that offers benefits that interest me, I will consider using that ROM, but currently I remain happy with the stock OS. I agree that there is always the possibility of bricking your Nexus 7, but consider it very unlikely with the one click toolkits and recovery options currently available. I suggest, that if you have interest in learning about the benefits and pitfalls of rooting, that you read our forum's guide to rooting.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 08:36:07 PM by S.Prime »
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline Gasman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 06:41:38 AM »
Thanks a lot guys very helpful and informative!. So "to root or not to root? that is the question". I`ll wait until I need it then check it out!.
Cheers
Steve

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt