March 28, 2024, 05:05:42 AM

collapse

Author Topic: How Many Tablet Owners Use a Stylus?  (Read 6027 times)

Offline radiocycle

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
How Many Tablet Owners Use a Stylus?
« on: July 12, 2012, 04:44:53 PM »
This will be my first tab so I'm just wondering how many of you that already own tablets use a Stylus.   It seems like a helpful kind of accessory but I guess a finger will work almost as well.  Would this just be some sort of rubber tipped stick that makes pointing a little more accurate?  I posted that there is a case that comes with a Stylus but I suppose you can just buy a stylus separately.  Just wondering if that's an item I should pick up.

r

Time flies like arrows... Fruit flies like bananas!

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Tablet Owners Use a Stylus?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 06:01:41 PM »
Most tablets use a captive display which responds to touch, so a captive stylus is basically an extension of your finger. If your finger and the stylus touch the screen the captive screen registers both touches. For an example, if you are trying to write with a stylus on a captive screen and touch the screen with your hand the captive screen interprets your hard touch as writing as well. One would think that the stylus would improve accuracy with typing, but the sense technology in some of the better keyboard apps are far better, IMO. Tablets with true pen functionality rely on an N-Trig secondary screen layer, which disables the captive feature of the outer screen when the tip of the electronic pen is in the proximity of the screen, which is known as "palm rejection.” I will discuss keyboard alternatives in the application topic.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline radiocycle

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 06:44:50 PM »
Great info, thanks!
Time flies like arrows... Fruit flies like bananas!

Offline samalex

• Popularity: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 07:34:27 AM »
I only have a Kindle Fire, but I haven't used a stylus with it.  Once I get the N7 though I use to use it more at work, and it would be nice to have a stylus for writing notes in meetings, if there's an app that'll let me do that easily enough, then i can transcribe them to a text file later. 

Offline trainerKEN

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 03:46:17 PM »
I bought a cheap one just to use when I'm playing "Draw Something" with my friends

Offline RDJW

• Popularity: 2
  • N7 8G, Thrive 16G
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 08:00:43 PM »
I use one w/ my Toshiba Thrive, but it's 10" so now, after having he N7, it seems silly for the larger tab. Wait a bit - want to try it on the N7!... Works great. My fingers seem very large for such tiny text, and the stylus can get you closer w/o having to zoom. Love the pop when it's not sure which link you are trying to hit!
Specialization is for insects.    --R.A.Heinlein

Offline Drew

• Popularity: 11
  • Transformer Prime, iphone 4, Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 09:13:30 PM »
I was looking forward to using the stylus, but it just won't behave....keeps zooming the screen when I want it to scroll.

Maybe I don t have the "touch" down yet.
"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live." - Oscar Wilde

Offline Portsider

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 04:58:56 PM »
Being an artist, I was really looking forward to testing out 'Sketchbook Pro' on the NX7. And, although this tablet seems to be more responsive to the stylus than any of the other tabs I've owned (galaxy tab 2 7.0, blackberry playbook, and Acer iconia),  it's still not a perfect experience. (Finger works much better, though  ;)
NX7...Official tablet of the Dark Knight

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 06:32:02 PM »
If you want a true Sketchbook Pro experience on a tablet, look for one with an N-trig screen with minimum HC operating system, like the Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet, you will even have pressure sensitivity with the stylus. As you have seen with the captive screen on our N7, the stylus is basically an extension of your finger.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline CommanderVimes

• Popularity: 0
  • I only do what the little voices tell me to do....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 03:48:41 PM »
I don't use my tablet or phone without a stylus, both capacitive, I rely on it so much I have one on a nylon cord around my neck because I kept losing it. :P  Pmsl
I initially bought a stylus to play Draw Something with my Facebook friends on my Samsung Galaxy S2.  When Draw Something arrived on my tablet I was in a world of joy! (Sad life that I live :P )
"That is not my Cow!".... "Where is my Cow?!"

Offline chaikenj

• Popularity: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 09:02:57 PM »
I always use a stylus for everything in the N7.  David Pogue wrote an excellent review of the different brands of stylus
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/02/technology/personaltech/on-touch-screens-rest-your-finger-by-using-a-stylus-state-of-the-art.html?pagewanted=all

Offline The Nexus Project

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 12:07:29 AM »
Using a stylus on the Nexus 7 is a great experience. I bought a few cheap ones but have yet to come across a higher end stylus. I'm hearing that Qualcomm makes a premium stylus but can't seem to find one.

Offline arborij

• Android Nerd
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 12:26:42 PM »
I use a stylii only for non reading a gaming activities.
Droid OG (Retired), Droid 2 (Retired), Droid 3(Retired), Droid X (Retired), Droid X2 (Retired)
Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Unlocked, Rooted, Overclocked, Undervoltaged), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (Stock)
Nexus 7 (Unlocked, Rooted, Undervoltaged)
Please click "Thumbs up" if somebody posts something helpf

JayJ

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2012, 12:36:29 PM »
My girlfriend and I were big reasons of Draw Something, this was before the N7 came out and we both wanted to draw better on our phones (SGS2 & One S) so I bought a cheap rubber ended stylus but my girlfriend bought an Adonit Jot.
What a waste of money that was, doesn't work very well at all. I recently tested it on my Nexus 7 but thankfully I had a screen protector on the Nexus 7 because it scratched the screen severely...

Offline mwbritt

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2012, 03:19:53 PM »
I don't since this tablet doesn't recognise my combination pen / pencil/ red pen / stylus that I had used with my pda for over a decade.  if it did I would.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman