April 25, 2024, 05:58:38 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Charging cable died  (Read 6309 times)

JayJ

Re: Charging cable died
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2013, 01:42:34 AM »
I disagree, you may be lucky that the cable you are using has a high enough resistance but many have found generic USB cables do not supply the Amps needed to charge a device that requires 2Amps...

Sent from my Paranoid Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Offline matt

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2013, 06:10:18 AM »
A typo? Low resistance is what you want, resistance causes a voltage drop. When the voltage is less than the battery you don't get full charge. A larger gauge wire should have less resistance and a higher ampacity. A lower amp supply will give a full charge but take longer to do so. Using a power supply that has a greater amp rating than required is not a problem, but a high resistance cable may overheat and fail.

Offline strollin

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2013, 07:12:22 AM »
Unless we are dealing with very long cables, the wire gauge of the cable is probably not a significant factor in whether it charges or not.  If a particular cable cannot provide enough current for charging, my guess would be that it would be due to other factors such as poorly soldered connections and such which would have a greater impact than the size of the wire in a short cable.

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2013, 07:13:37 AM »
@ matt

Thanks for the clarification.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline matt

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2013, 07:59:07 AM »
Cold solder joints and oxidization of connections will increase resistance. When I was a heavy smoker, the tar that coated my electronics led me to a lot of potentiometer and connection cleaning. The gauge of wire only matters if a cord was only made for a too low ampacity, say 500 ma.

Fer instance, 18 gauge wire has an ampacity of 6. 12 volts or 120, it will carry 6 amps at any length without overheating the wire to failure. Ah but resistance is futile. And the voltage drop can become too great for operability.

Another problem with some cables is that because the bezel on the nexus 7 juts out past the jack, a longer plug or trimming the plastic  may help.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman