March 28, 2024, 11:32:17 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Help With Updating To 4.2  (Read 8943 times)

Offline radiocycle

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
Help With Updating To 4.2
« on: November 20, 2012, 02:48:00 PM »
OK, so this post might need to be moved, not sure.  Anyway, I and still getting the 'reminders' that I have an update waiting (4.2).  But I've tried it a couple of times and it hasn't worked for me.  I'm rooted but I have not uninstalled any apps that I can remember...  I was hoping the update would go smoother than the 4.1.2 went.  I do have a psychedelic screen that comes on when I first boot up and maybe that is keeping the update from sticking?  But I really like that opening screen (is it the 'boot loader'?) And, I want to keep all the game progress that I've made on all the games I have. 
On the 4.1.2 update, I just went back to factory stock and ran the update.  But then I had to load all the apps by hand and start all me games over again.  So, which type of backup should I use that will allow me to hve my custom start-up screen and also keep all the progress on my games.

I know this has been covered but I can't seem to get all the info organized to where I can follow it through from beginning to end.  I apologize for the need to rehash this.  Maybe someone with a lot of time on their hands could innumerate the steps for me??

radio

Time flies like arrows... Fruit flies like bananas!

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
Re: Help With Updating To 4.2
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 04:06:45 PM »
Radio,

You're going to lose your psychedelic screen that comes on when you first boot up.  That's boot animation, and you can add it back with ROM Toolbox Lite after you upgrade.

The type of backup you want to keep all your game progress is a Titanium all user apps backup.
When you restore it, restore all apps + data.  Don't bother with system data, because you're overwriting your old system.  You can copy the whole TitaniumBackup directory to a flash drive or your PC, and restore it after the upgrade.

The preferred alternative is a full Nandroid backup with your OS and all apps, done via CWM or TWRP, done from your PC, with the backup pushed to the PC.  The upgrade to 4.2 is going to wipe your sdcard partition, and you'll lose your backup if it's stored on your N7.  You can't just copy a Clockworkmod directory with subdirectories to a flash drive or PC storage.  The MD5 checksums fail because the last modified bytes change when the directories are copied/moved.

Bird
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 04:18:37 PM by birdastrompgman »
Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

JayJ

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 04:13:28 PM »
Back up your internal memory by copy & pasting to your PC, run a batch backup with Titanium and flash the factory image with the Toolkit of your choice.
I would suggest flashing 4.1.2, root with a toolkit, backup root with Voodoo OTA RootKeeper, update to 4.2, restore root with Voodoo and then restore your internal memory from PC backup and apps with Titanium.

Sent from my 32GB Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2©

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 06:04:05 PM »
Lmao at psychedelic screen. Just take some mushrooms and do the update already!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Offline radiocycle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 01:46:12 PM »
Lmao at psychedelic screen. Just take some mushrooms and do the update already!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

OK, I did the shrooms.... Now what was the other part??

~rAdi0~

Offline radiocycle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 02:29:29 PM »
OK, now seriously... I've run the Ti Backup and it shows that most apps are backed up, but when I look at the backup folder by plugging into this pc, it is empty, no files.  I think they are all backed up, but the back up is only on the N7.  I have to move the backups to the pc, right??  I'm nervous about losing all my data...  It's a nice rainy day here and the perfect time to do this, I just hope I can pull it off; I'm getting so tired of those up-date messages popping up...

r
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 02:31:06 PM by radiocycle »

JayJ

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 02:37:50 PM »
Do they show in the TiBu folder with a file explorer?

It could be the perils of MTP...

I would suggest backing then up to either a Thumb drive a la Stickmount or the Cloud ie Dropbox, might even be prudent to do both...

Offline radiocycle

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 03:14:18 PM »
OK, looks like I have a backup using Wugfresh on my pc.  So now I guess my next step is to flash the whole thing back to stock using Rom Tool Kit, right?

r

JayJ

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 03:33:22 PM »
If your happy you've backed everything up then yes, flash away....within reason anyway...lol

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 03:52:19 PM »
You shouldn't need top copy the tibu files to a PC. You will have to redirect tibu to that folder after the update to restore the apps. Im concerned that the folder is empty. What is the direct location of the empty folder?

Sent From my Razr Maxx (iKreaM.4.1.2.AOKP) via Tapatalk 2

Offline radiocycle

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 03:58:06 PM »
I looked at the file using ES File Explorer and found that the folder, indeed, had all the backups... Dunno why it was empty earlier...

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 04:02:23 PM »
Another suggestion, after you flash back to stock, make a nandroid backup. This way you only have to restore the backup before applying any system update, regardless of what changes you have made.

Offline radiocycle

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 04:04:50 PM »
Will do.  So now I do a 'factory reset' right?

r

JayJ

Re: Re: Help With Updating To 4.2
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 04:41:52 PM »
You shouldn't need top copy the tibu files to a PC. You will have to redirect tibu to that folder after the update to restore the apps. Im concerned that the folder is empty. What is the direct location of the empty folder?

The folder is empty from a PC because like I said MTP doesn't like certain files and the reason radio is backing up with TiBu is because he has games he doesn't want to loose progress on and he is flashing a stock image because the 4.2 update won't take, flashing the stock image will wipe his N7 including the TiBu folder...

Offline radiocycle

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2012, 05:54:29 PM »
OK!  Most Excellent... Now I'm back to stock with 4.2!  I guess maybe 4.2.1 will be knocking soon (?).  Things are still downloading so I haven't tried to restore anything yet.  Should be very interesting...

r

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman