March 28, 2024, 02:19:02 AM

collapse

Author Topic: rethinking my decision about getting a Nexus 7  (Read 4003 times)

g-girl

rethinking my decision about getting a Nexus 7
« on: November 21, 2012, 06:43:02 AM »
I was 100% positive in my decision to get a Nexus 7 and then this new Android 4.2 update came out and after reading about all the problems, now I'm not so sure. I've becoming slightly obsessed about finding out as much info as possible to make an informed decision but some of it is slightly over my head. I assume some of what I am worrying about doesn't even apply to me, some of the programs and terms I find referenced here, I have no clue what they are.

I am going to want to use it for email, Twitter, Facebook, messaging, blogging, Pinterest, checking Instragram and various other apps, maybe a game of Angry Birds every now and then (gotta test my mad skills!). Regular web browsing. I was hoping to set up separate accounts for two others in the house also. Do you think I'll be fine for these basic things or should I wait until they start rolling out some fixes to the problems from this latest update? I just want it to be easy... I was all excited for my birthday present and now I'm just anticipating problems on a device I don't even own yet. ugh.

Thanks in advance for any input you can offer.

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
Re: rethinking my decision about getting a Nexus 7
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 08:02:17 AM »
I think you will be fine. All the problems I and others are experiencing relate to bring rooted. Non-rooted apps are working fine.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 09:52:53 AM »
You will be fine. Even with all of my complaining I still love this device. I can just be impatient and want things to happen now sometimes. New technology happens amazingly fast these days but with that comes a little bit of "beta testing"

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 10:00:20 AM »
I would not over react to the 4.2 issues, discussed in the forum. My Nexus 7 has been rooted since day one and I only had issues with three apps after the upgrade to 4.2, two of which were fixed within one day and with the last one corrected in three days. Granted, though I am rooted and running super user apps, my OS is pretty much stock Android. I personally feel that you should have no reservations about your upcoming birthday present.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 11:06:04 AM »
I agree. I think you will be thrilled with having such a wonderful device. The minor bugs won't even affect you. Even with the minor bugs, that I assure you that they will be corrected shortly, the N7 is still the best tablet in its class. Hands down!

Sent From my Razr Maxx (iKreaM.4.1.2.AOKP) via Tapatalk 2

Offline Becks

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 11:11:01 AM »
Bird, I just got N7 on Monday, Nov 19th. It is my first Androis device. I researched, and read about tablets for 12 months. Friends have Apple iPads. In the end I got the N7. I love it. Does everything I need. 7 e-mail accounts syncing no problem, Games run perfectly, News apps are wonderful. No screen flicker, No quality control issues. I am a delighted camper, and a convert from ios. Don't look back.

g-girl

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 11:38:10 AM »
Thank you for the feedback, this helps. I like to make things overly complicated, it's how I roll.  ;) I'm so going to love the look of my husband face when I tell him I've changed my mind again - he's now referring to my indecision as tablet-gate.

For the record, I have no idea what rooting is. I assume it's messing with and changing file systems?
Not sure what a non-rooted app is either... or super user apps. Or what stock Android is.
(I apparently don't know a lot!)

Question... I know you can import music from iTunes into Google play. When you add that to the device, is the music streamed or is actually downloaded to the device so you can listen to music without the wifi?

:D

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 12:23:12 PM »
It is not downloaded to the device until you select the option to "pin" the album, artist, or song to the device. Everything else is streamed.

Sent From my Razr Maxx (iKreaM.4.1.2.AOKP) via Tapatalk 2

Offline blue_bullet

• Popularity: 3
  • Gettin' by on gettin' by
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 12:51:15 PM »
On my N7 16GB I made the move back to 4.1.2 unrooted from 4.1.2 rooted so I could upgrade up to 4.2, and then re-rooted on 4.2.  I have no issues that have not been or are not being fixed on 4.2. 

I have asked myself "What would you do if this tablet broke somehow or was stolen, etc?"  Answer: I would get another 16GB N7 right away-no hesitation.  They are that good.

Offline matt

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 01:13:25 PM »
I agree. I would get an extended warranty however. Microcenter has a 2 year that even covers broken glass. If it breaks, swap it at the store or take credit for a new, improved model. This is the only device I have ever upgraded the warranty on, I think it's worth it. Walmart's may be great, too.
Having owned several tablets I can say that by comparison Asus is by far the best at updating, sometimes too quick! Other tablets have never received updates, or even firmware downloads for bricked units.

Don't get your hopes up on miracast for tv streaming, it's not ready yet. And dock rollout still needs firmware improvement.

Go for it!

Offline Wild_Duck

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 02:53:46 PM »
4.2 unrooted, BBC iPlayer, itvplayer and flash (in Dolphin) no problems except for MTP . It's Android built from Linux and we end up with a Microsoft protocol, although I understand the reasons and done the work-a-round it's the only negative thing I can find.

g-girl

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 05:58:40 PM »
I so appreciate the reassurance. After reading what seems like a million reviews I know it'll be a great device. I'm still debating between 16 and 32 GB but I'm sure I'll get the 32.

Thanks again!

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 06:28:18 PM »
Get the 32. For fifty bucks more and double the space its pretty much a no brainer. Its always nice to have some extra room if you need it.

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 06:31:28 PM »
For the $50 US, difference, go 32 GB. Just, my opinion.

Edited: I guess I am supporting bjs229 :-)

IT Service Professional - I Just Want a Device to Be Productive
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 06:33:56 PM by S.Prime »
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

g-girl

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2012, 06:34:46 PM »
That's exactly what I was thinking about the 32gb. I figured an extra $50 is better now that being aggravated later.

Less than a week to go... unless of course someone puts it on sale on Friday... not holding my breath for that!

Thanks guys!

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts