March 28, 2024, 11:24:29 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Some pre-purchase questions  (Read 2345 times)

Offline JTG

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Some pre-purchase questions
« on: November 19, 2012, 12:33:55 PM »
Hi,

I’m considering buying a Nexus 7, but have a few questions first.  I’ve been looking through this forum, and these are the few questions that I could not find an answer for.

1)Can books be saved in folders (book shelves maybe)?  In other words, technical books in one, novels in another, nonfiction in a third, and so on.  If so, can these folders be nested (i.e., have sub folders)?  Would that be a function of the nexus or the book reader?

2)How much memory does a typical book require (downloaded do that I can read without Wi-Fi access)?  I’m wondering if I should buy the 16 or 32 GB version.

3)Can installed apps be easily deleted?  I.e., is it as simple as deleting the app, or is there cleanup required (equivalent of deleting dll’s, cleaning up registry entries, etc. on Windows).  How about an app has been backed up to the “cloud”?  I assume I have to delete it there also – correct?

4)Is the cable a standard USB cable?  Can I use the same cable for connecting the device to the charger as to the computer?  And can I use a standard USB car charger or do I need a special one?  Will the device charge while connected to a computer?

Thanks,

Jack
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 06:10:28 PM by JayJ »

JayJ

Re: Some pre-purchase questions
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 06:29:08 PM »
Hi Jack, firstly welcome to the forum...

I hope you don't mind but I've removed the colour code from your post, the reason is because many people here use an app called Tapatalk which is available from Google Play and if like myself they use the dark theme with a black background, black text cannot be read.

Anyway, your questions. I can't help with the first two because I don't really use my N7 as an eReader. There are members that do so I'm sure they can help with those questions.

3. Removing applications is relatively easy, opening the application tray and selecting Settings, then Apps. You'd then scroll to find the application your wanting to uninstall, tap to open the application information screen, press Clear data and then Uninstall.
The only bad point with Android is the mess that applications leave on your internal memory (user memory) as in folders and caches but that's another use for file managers.

4. A USB cable does come with the Nexus 7, it also doubles as the AC charging cable. You can charge the N7 from a PC with the supplied cable but it will not charge the N7 as quickly as the AC adaptor because of the low current of a USB port.

Hope that helps some.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 06:31:22 PM by JayJ »

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 11:59:34 PM »
Welcome to the forum Jack. You have some great advice out of the chute. I use the Kindle app but my books have been purchased elsewhere. I will look for an average size. My books average around 300 pages.
JJ. You are the best.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 12:01:49 AM by bjs229 »

JayJ

Re: Re: Some pre-purchase questions
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 03:11:27 AM »
JJ. You are the best.

Shucks... thanks... ;)

Sent from my 32GB Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2©

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 07:38:59 AM »
One of my azw book files is less than 3 megs for a 300 page book.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Offline JTG

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 08:06:36 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  At 3 MB for a 300 page book, it sounds like I could probably load half the Library of Congress on a 32 GB Nexus.  That’s nice.

Regarding the file managers… Are they standard apps or do they require rooting.  I’m not afraid of rooting (I’m a retired software engineer) but don’t want the hassle right now.  I just want to keep it stock.

I assume that with a file manager, I can create sub directories?  Do most book readers allow navigation to sub directories, or do they do a search and put all books on the same level?  I really want to keep each type of book on a separate “shelf” (sub directory) for better organization.  I believe the B&N Nook-HD allows books to be organized in that way, that’s why I’m asking.

Jack

P.S. JayJ - No problem changing the color, didn't know it mattered.

JayJ

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 08:20:54 AM »
No, file managers generally do not require root. Some can use root to read the "/" level subdirectories but for your purposes root is not a requirement.
Yes file managers will allow you to create subdirectories but as I said above I'll leave readers to the people that know.

Sent from my 32GB Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2©
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 02:55:48 PM by JayJ »

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 08:31:28 AM »
I really don't know enough either about the books. I just have a few.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 09:58:52 AM »
The bookshelf and its functionality is determined by the ereader app and you may have to try a few different ones to find one that has the functionality that you want. Personally I recommend the free CoolReader at Google Play as it allows you to browse folders and subfolders directly from your bookshelf within the app. Also, I like the cool page turn emulation.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline matt

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 01:34:16 PM »
I use Aldiko, it was the best at the time, it handles all the book folders for you. They display as cover art on shelves. Screenshot deleted.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 10:06:13 AM by matt »

Offline JojoTC

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 07:58:42 AM »
I used to use Aldiko, but changed to FBreader. FBReader will include books from a user-specified directory structure. Alldiko 'imports' them into its own preferred location (but you can set up your own catalogues). AFAIR, Aldiko does not handle .mobi files.

Either will do a great job.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts