2012 Nexus 7 Discussion Forums (1st Generation) > Nexus 7 Vs. The Competition

Kindle Fire HD vs. Nexus 7

(1/3) > >>

SueM5411:
I am looking for information on the functionality of either of these devices. I currently have a Kindle keyboard and like it a lot for reading e-books. However, I have a problem with it when I try to read a PDF file, primarily textbooks for school. The font is usually much too small for me to read. Enlarging the screen to the point where it is readable requires shifting the screen focus back and forth for each line of text.

So I am want to upgrade to a devise that can handle the reading of PDF files better. I also want to be able to do some simple work with documents. The problem is trying to get through all the hype about the abilities of the Kindle Fire HD and the Nexus 7. I expect that they are comparable when it comes to reading e-books, play music, watching movies, etc. I have heard that you can install some Google aps on the Kindle Fire, but don't know what ones or how well they run. Besides a basic word processor like Open Office I want to be able to have a calendar, access my email and surf the web. A nice plus would be to be able to play not only solitaire and mahjong, but Diablo too. Though I don't think that is do able.

Thanks  :)

birdastrompgman:
Welcome Sue,

I haven't experimented with different readers, but I'm sure others can chime in.  So far, the Nexus 7 has been able to do everything I've tried using it for.  I'm confident there are book and pdf readers that can toggle accessibility options to give you large text for reading.

The N7 has a vastly larger available selection of Mahjong, solitaire, and Office suites than the Kindle Fire.  Not sure whether you're looking for Diablo armory game, server checker, price check, news and weather app, class builder, live wallpaper, sound board, or?, but it's probably available for the N7.

Calendar, email, web surfing are no problem with the N7.  Shouldn't be a problem with Kindle HD, either, but I haven't used one.

loociddreemr:
The N7 can handle anything that you can throw at it. There are Google aps that can potentially run on a kindle, but i guarantee that they will run better on a nexus! Especially without rooting, the kindle is severely limited by software and hardware. The Nexus on the other hand, has the cutting edge software and hardware.

Sent From my Razr Maxx (iKreaM.4.1.2.AOKP) via Tapatalk 2

bjs229:
Go for the Nexus. IMHO, It smashes the Fire. There are Wordlike apps available for manipulating text and documents and reading of PDFs. You shouldn't have a problem finding something that will work for you.
I use the Kindle app for most of my ebook reading needs and it is basic but works well.

JayJ:
You would have a larger choice of apps with the Nexus 7 and Google Play then the Kindle Fire HD and it's limited Amazon App Store.
Also you can use the Amazon App store on the Nexus 7 but you can't use the Google Play store on the Kindle Fire, I think that says allot...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version