March 28, 2024, 02:01:07 PM

collapse

Author Topic: Build Quality?  (Read 3037 times)

Offline Belisarius

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Build Quality?
« on: November 26, 2012, 02:42:55 PM »
I have literally had my Nexus 7 out of the box for 26 hour now, and I already notice that it "clicks" when I press the left bezel, like it is coming loose.

This trouble me... someone who has had this thing a while, how is the build quality? I like the fact that it is lighter than my Kindle Fire HD was, but I will admit that it feels less... solid... am I just having new buyer paranoia here?

JayJ

Re: Build Quality?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 03:15:24 PM »
I had my 16GB Nexus 7 for several months and I had no problems with the screen or any clicking sounds, my current 32GB Nexus 7 also has no issues and personally I have found the build quality to be excellent.
If you think there is a genuine problem with your N7 then I would suggest returning to your point of sale or Google for an exchange...

Sent from my 32GB Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2©

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 10:28:31 PM »
Sounds like you have screen lift. If you hold it level and look at where the screen and the bezel meet is the screen popping up? I have it a little bit but not enough to make noise. If it is that bad, I would follow Jayj's advice and exchange it.
As far as quality, I dropped mine across on the paved street and it is still running right along.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 10:30:24 PM by bjs229 »

Offline Belisarius

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 08:38:22 PM »
So I google screen lift,  and it says you can pop the cover of fun the back,  and tightening the screws inside. I pop of the cover,  and Lo and behold,  two of the screws that hold the screen in place are missing.

You just can't find good underage slave labor anymore. What's a teach company to do?

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 08:46:36 PM »
Missing? And this is a brand new tablet?  I would love to see pics of this. That is unreal. So how many screws do you have total?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 08:48:06 PM »
I hear it is easy to snap those clips when tightening. I would be careful.

Offline silvercue

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 05:34:06 AM »
Send it back.  My first one had screen lift, which I put up with, but then the screen failed entirely so I took it back to the store who swapped it.  They said they had been inundated with returns for faulty screens.

Current one has good build quality.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 03:49:11 PM »
You have to wonder how hard it is to install 4 screws. I can't believe that they are missing in a tablet that is factory fresh. Be careful not to say you know about them missing. I don't think you are supposed to open these things up.

Nexus 7/32 Tapatalk HD

Offline Belisarius

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 05:19:39 PM »
So I took it back. I have read other places that quite a few of them have missing screws. Mine had two screws on the left side of the screen where it was supposed to have four. I haven't opened this one to see if it is good.

So so far, in the last 5 days, I took my Kindle Fire HD back to best buy, swapped it for store credit, since i had it longer than 14 days. Used the store credit to buy a Samsung Galaxy tab 2.0, which I promptly drove over to Staples and swaped it for a nexus, which I have now returned for another nexus.

I am really getting tired of setting up tablets! Hope this one stays good.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 01:15:56 AM »
Belisarius
You should do a short review on all of them!

Offline Belisarius

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 04:58:49 PM »
Belisarius
You should do a short review on all of them!

Ok, I will, although, to be fair, I never took the Samsung one out of the box, although I did play with the one in the store for an hour or so to decide if it would do instead of a nexus.

See, Best Buy doesn't carry nexuses (or is it nexii?) because of their contract with the evil fruit cult

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman