March 28, 2024, 08:26:18 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Dead battery, how do I get warranty service?  (Read 5369 times)

Offline RobInfinity

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Dead battery, how do I get warranty service?
« on: December 02, 2012, 07:39:20 PM »
My mom bought both my son and I Nexus 7's last August when we were in the states visiting her in Ohio and gave them to us. She ordered them through google directly. We brought them back to Sweden with us, where we live.

Now my son's battery seems to be dead and it won't charge. I have switched the battery between his and mine, and the won't charge problem follows the battery. My battery charges just fine in his unit as well.

I asked my mom if she still has the receipt she undoubtedly got from google via email at the time, and she doesn't and her email only keeps stuff she discards for one month. So I don't have a receipt.

I am assuming these things have a one year warranty, although I don't know that for sure. This product is so new, all of them should still be under warranty, right? So the receipt shouldn't be that much of an issue, especially since google must track these things by serial number?

So, my question, does anyone know what I have to do to get google or Asus to replace the battery in my son's Nexus 7?

I thought to just buy a new battery, but the only one I could find online was 90 bucks, which seems a bit extreme for a 200 dollar device. My son loves his (as do I, actually) and I would really like to get this fixed. It is only 3 months old.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 07:44:33 PM by RobInfinity »

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
Re: Dead battery, how do I get warranty service?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 08:51:01 PM »
Your warranty and purchase should be tied to your mom's Gmail, since she purchased from Google. Send it to her and let her initiate the service request.
Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline RobInfinity

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 09:21:01 PM »
Your warranty and purchase should be tied to your mom's Gmail, since she purchased from Google. Send it to her and let her initiate the service request.
Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
My mom is 75 years old and would be completely overwhelmed by such an undertaking. I really need to figure out how to do this myself. She was only able to order them with my help.

Also my mom doesn't have/use gmail.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 11:26:41 PM »
I'm sure if you call Google with the credit card number you can work this out. Hopefully, if your mother had the mental fortitude to order them and have them delivered , surely you should be able to work something out.
IMHO You really should consider starting a few Google accounts for your family.They are free and give you a lot of options.
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 11:29:01 PM by bjs229 »

Offline RobInfinity

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 04:07:50 AM »
How does one 'call google'?

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 04:41:21 AM »
Here is a link for warranty service.http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2662734 I hope this helps in some way.

Offline RobInfinity

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 05:33:51 AM »
Here is a link for warranty service.http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2662734 I hope this helps in some way.

Well THAT was a complete and total waste of time. What happened to the concept of customer service? *sigh*

I am just going to end up eating a 200 dollar device because of this crap.

The google drop down menu had nothing in it for the device name, so it wouldn't let me go any further.

I won't be buying another Nexus, even as much as I like the one that still works.

Offline RobInfinity

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 05:39:01 AM »

I appreciate the link though, thanks for trying to help.

Offline CBers

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Dead battery, how do I get warranty service?
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 06:25:54 AM »
My mom bought both my son and I Nexus 7's last August when we were in the states visiting her in Ohio and gave them to us. She ordered them through google directly. We brought them back to Sweden with us, where we live.

Now my son's battery seems to be dead and it won't charge. I have switched the battery between his and mine, and the won't charge problem follows the battery. My battery charges just fine in his unit as well.

I asked my mom if she still has the receipt she undoubtedly got from google via email at the time, and she doesn't and her email only keeps stuff she discards for one month. So I don't have a receipt.

I am assuming these things have a one year warranty, although I don't know that for sure. This product is so new, all of them should still be under warranty, right? So the receipt shouldn't be that much of an issue, especially since google must track these things by serial number?

So, my question, does anyone know what I have to do to get google or Asus to replace the battery in my son's Nexus 7?

I thought to just buy a new battery, but the only one I could find online was 90 bucks, which seems a bit extreme for a 200 dollar device. My son loves his (as do I, actually) and I would really like to get this fixed. It is only 3 months old.
How did you swap the batteries?

If you opened the devices, then you have invalidated the warranties anyway.

Sent from my 32GB Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 09:54:22 AM by CBers »

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 07:13:13 AM »
I really don't know what you mean by Google drop down menu. 'It wouldn't let you go any further" ??  Did you call the number?
And you the one saying your mother would be overwhelmed?
We are talking about a dead battery here right? For that, you will never buy a Nexus again?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 07:18:26 AM by bjs229 »

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 07:42:02 AM »
By the way, I see the battery posted on eBay for 20 us dollars. I don't know if they ship to Sweden.

Offline RobInfinity

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 09:52:19 AM »
The link didn't take me to any phone numbers, it took me to a form to fill in, and in the device block it was a drop down menu with zero options, and then when you hit enter, it gives you an error because you didn't select anything for the device block.

And no, it is not because of a dead battery that I would give up on a Nexus, it would be because I can't get it serviced. The same reason I no longer buy phones made by HTC or Sony Ericsson.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 09:58:08 AM by RobInfinity »

Offline RobInfinity

• View Profile
Re: Re: Dead battery, how do I get warranty service?
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 09:57:04 AM »

How did you swap the batteries?

If you opened the devices, then you have invalidated the warranties anywhere.

Sent from my 32GB Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2
The back of the device just pops off, like any other mobile device (not made by apple anyways). The only difference is it doesn't have a little slot to wedge a finger nail or small screw driver in. The battery is a plug in module. I do not believe that there would be any way for anyone to know I had opened it, so I doubt seriously that I voided the warranty.

And even if this was true, it would be a moot point if there is no way to get a hold of anyone to service it.

Offline RobInfinity

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 10:06:55 AM »
This was the only battery for it I could find. I can't seem to find the on eBay.

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale/wholesale-c11%25252dme370t.html

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 07:04:49 PM »
Did you ever get ahold of customer support? I'm sure they would gladly replace it for you if you did your part.  A shame that you would deny yourself the privilege of access to the most cutting edge of devices.

Sent From my Razr Maxx (iKreaM.4.1.2.AOKP) via Tapatalk 2

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts