March 28, 2024, 03:43:50 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Standard intro  (Read 2853 times)

Offline the buddycat

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Standard intro
« on: December 12, 2012, 03:43:03 PM »
Howdy:

I've now joined the ranks, and I'm a "rank" beginner with this thing.   I know just enough about it to be dangerous.   Haven't even really had much time to play with it yet (gasp!).   The main reason I bought it was to replace my newspaper and download  news websites to the tablet.  So far, I've only done it a little at home, and I don't think it's doing what I want it to, yet.

So, if anyone can point me to the correct board to ask my questions about apps and capabilities to store data away from my wifi connection (because there isn't one at work), I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
Re: Standard intro
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 04:05:27 PM »
You have come to the right place. Glad to have you here. Search the forum, I believe that some of your questions have already been answered.  If you can't find the answer, let us know specifically what you need help with.

Sent From my Razr Maxx (iKreaM.4.1.2.AOKP) via Tapatalk 2

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 04:11:44 PM »
Welcome buddycat!  Well I think the answers to your questions are probably going to be found on more than just one board.  You might want to start out by looking at the Nexus 7 apps and Nexus 7 connect boards and then browse others such as help and general discussion for even more info.   Use the search function up near the top of the screen and in the pull down menu bar as well.  If you finally simply cannot find an answer to your question then post a new question in the appropriate board.    Again...nice to have you here and we're excited to make you part of the community.

BFM (admin)
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 05:14:33 PM »
Welcome to the forum buddycat. I agree about using the search feature, but to give you a "leg up", try the Pocket app from the Google Play Store Here. Anything you find on the web, you can read off line, like at your office. Originally it was a paid app, but now it is free at the Play Store.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 07:17:56 PM »
Welcome Buddycat!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

JayJ

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 09:22:59 PM »
Welcome to the family buddycat...

Sent from my 32GB Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2©

Offline the buddycat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 03:13:26 PM »
Thank you for the welcome!

So far, my search on the forum site has not paid off, but I'm still looking.   At the moment, I now have TAPTU and Pulse loaded, and I'm mostly happy with the news, although Taptu slightly edges out Pulse because I get more pictures with my news items, some of the time.   I really like Comic Reader over Daily Comics, but noticed that both of them depend on a wifi connection when I'm wanting to look at them at work where there isn't one.   I'm hoping to either find a way to download them so they'll stay, or another reader that performs that function.

I'm also wondering if what I really need is a website downloader for my news, but then that would probably only be from one source.  I like the agents that pick up items by channel, rather than one source.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 04:18:25 PM »
What about an app like Readability? Not sure if it works with the comics but might. It allows you to store pages for later  use without wifi.

JayJ

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 02:02:21 AM »
What comics are you reading, where do you get them? The app?

I use comiXology...

Offline the buddycat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 03:17:00 PM »
bjs229:   I'll check Readability out.  There is a bewildering number of apps out there, and I've not heard of that one.

JayJ:  so far, I have Daily Comic and Android Comic Reader.   I like the latter, but it's a bit annoying (beyond having to be connected) because so far I haven't figured out how to make it go to the first comic strip downloaded, instead of the most recent.   Or to mark them "read" very easily.   The other issue so far is while Gocomics.com (where I believe Comic Reader goes) has a lot of strips I like, it doesn't have them all, surprisingly.   And it's not because of King Features banning it - apparently, that's only an issue with Daily Comic.

I've been noodling around with Google Current, and like it because it does, at least, partially download stories, but many of the sites I want to read offline come through the RSS feeds (?) and they dont' always seem to be updated in the most timely of manners, which I was surprised by.   

I really like the way Taptu brings news through, but I see some of the same problems and there seems to be less story - and frequently no pictures.     I even use Pulse for some things, but it's the least effective, if I'd like to read more or see the pictures.

Offline the buddycat

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 12:07:37 PM »
Okay.   I think I have at least a partial handle on my comics reader after checking with the developer and my own noodling around.  And I thinki putting it in Airplane Mode may've helped, too.  Now, to ask a question on the forum about RSS feeds, which I don't get very well....

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 11:12:05 PM »
That's great news BC. Can you please let us know what you found out  are using to fix your issue?  I think it will be beneficial to a lot of folks now and down the road.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts