March 28, 2024, 01:36:57 PM

collapse

Author Topic: Is N7 always on or does it turn off completely in standby?  (Read 5364 times)

Offline samalex

• Popularity: 4
    • View Profile
Is N7 always on or does it turn off completely in standby?
« on: July 16, 2012, 09:01:15 AM »
When the Kindle Fire goes into standby mode it shuts completely off using zero power, which is nice because even if left off for weeks the charge remains, but this means I can't use it as an alarm clock or get email or other notifications when it's in standby.  Does anyone know if the N7 will do the same?

For the N7 I'd prefer that it didn't shut completely off because if I can find a dock that'll let me put it on the nightstand as an alarm clock showing weather and possibly some news, stocks, etc, that'd be amazing.  And if such an app doesn't exist it might be my first thing to write, but only if the N7 will stay aware when it's in standby mode, unlike the Fire.

Offline trainerKEN

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Is N7 always on or does it turn off completely in standby?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 04:21:24 PM »
it doesn't turn off completely in standby because I still get notifications (gmail, yahoo mail, eBay etc etc)

Offline Drew

• Popularity: 11
  • Transformer Prime, iphone 4, Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 05:20:56 PM »
Hopefully getting 7 tomorrow, but I know my other Asus tab has an option in settings called Asus Customized Settings.  It let's the  user disconnect wifi during sleep. Since the screen is off, your two biggest battery hogs are off.

Maybe the 7 has that setting or part of JB?
"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live." - Oscar Wilde

Offline paulsam7

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 10:53:04 AM »
... let's the  user disconnect wifi during sleep. Since the screen is off, your two biggest battery hogs are off.  Maybe the 7 has that setting or part of JB?

Yes, it does - get the Nexus 7 Guidebook, where you'll find all sorts of help (free from Google Play.)

Offline kyoo

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 11:24:54 AM »
i actually just turn mine off

Offline Drew

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 01:45:56 PM »
... let's the  user disconnect wifi during sleep. Since the screen is off, your two biggest battery hogs are off.  Maybe the 7 has that setting or part of JB?

Yes, it does - get the Nexus 7 Guidebook, where you'll find all sorts of help (free from Google Play.)

My entire quote was:

Hopefully getting 7 tomorrow, but I know my other Asus tab has an option in settings called Asus Customized Settings.  It let's the  user disconnect wifi during sleep. Since the screen is off, your two biggest battery hogs are off.

Maybe the 7 has that setting or part of JB?

The N7 does not have the Asus Customized Settings.  Maybe I missed it, but the manual does not show where you can disconnect wifi during sleep.
"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live." - Oscar Wilde

Offline Drew

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 01:52:38 AM »

For the N7 I'd prefer that it didn't shut completely off because if I can find a dock that'll let me put it on the nightstand as an alarm clock showing weather and possibly some news, stocks, etc, that'd be amazing.  And if such an app doesn't exist it might be my first thing to write, but only if the N7 will stay aware when it's in standby mode, unlike the Fire.

Sam, didn't know if you found a dock, saw this one the other day.  It says it works with or without a case.

http://www.mobilefun.com/35866-google-nexus-7-case-compatible-desktop-sync-and-charge-cradle.htm?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=comparison&utm_campaign=froogle&referer=FR

Not sure about status.  If you click on "Notify me when product is back in stock", they'll send you an email.

Offline samalex

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 07:47:04 AM »

Sam, didn't know if you found a dock, saw this one the other day.  It says it works with or without a case.

http://www.mobilefun.com/35866-google-nexus-7-case-compatible-desktop-sync-and-charge-cradle.htm?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=comparison&utm_campaign=froogle&referer=FR

Not sure about status.  If you click on "Notify me when product is back in stock", they'll send you an email.

Thanks ... I'm looking for a dock though that'll have the N7 in Landscape and use the docking pins for charging and/or audio.  The Clock app that's preloaded on the N7 actually works great as an alarm clock, and if I could find a Landscape dock I think this might replace my 20+ year old alarm clock quite nicely.  Also the alarm works great, though I now wish the N7 had vibrate which is often how I wake-up with my phone when I need to get up sooner than my wife.

Also yes as others have said the N7 does stay active when in standby, and the alarm works great even when the display is off.  But the clock seems to stay on all night when I turn it on, which again is perfect.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 01:14:12 PM by samalex »

Offline edhunter

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 10:35:03 AM »
I took mine to work last night and left it on standby for 12 hours today. When I checked the battery it had only lost 1% so I think I'm just going to leave it on like I did with my iPad.

Offline Drew

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 10:43:17 AM »
Sorry, the way they blurred the top of the pic made it look like it was landscape and why I mentioned it. 

It also doesn't have audio....missed it on two points  :-\.   I'll let you know if I find one in future sightings  :)

The good thing is wifi doesn't use much power, my other tab uses 35-40% on wifi alone.  I'm guessing the dock pins will also charge, so should work regardless. (1% is great Ed)

Offline samalex

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 01:18:55 PM »
I took mine to work last night and left it on standby for 12 hours today. When I checked the battery it had only lost 1% so I think I'm just going to leave it on like I did with my iPad.

I've noticed the same, the battery life on my end has been great, and from the  Battery settings the display seems to be the largest drainer of power.  I keep the brightness set to Auto which seems to work rather well.  Heck I left Google Music playing in my son's room for about 4 hours the other night and it used maybe 15% of the battery.  Not bad for sure.

Offline paulsam7

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 09:16:17 AM »
Maybe I missed it, but the manual does not show where you can disconnect wifi during sleep.

Page 56:  In the Wi-Fi settings screen, touch Menu > Advanced.  One of the 2 settings you can adjust is "Keep Wi-Fi during sleep."

Offline Drew

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2012, 10:52:50 AM »
Good eyes!  Glad you found that, it will help a lot.

Offline radiocycle

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2012, 12:51:54 PM »
Good eyes!  Glad you found that, it will help a lot.

So would you turn it off when sleeping?

r
Time flies like arrows... Fruit flies like bananas!

Offline Drew

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2012, 03:53:31 PM »
Are you talking about you sleeping or the N7?  ;)

It may not be a big issue as wifi takes only 6-8% of your battery on the N7 (less when asleep?) where on some tabs it is as high as 40-50%.  But it is a nice feature, especially if you don't want your sounds (emails, notifications, etc.) going off when you put it to sleep.

You also have the option to keep wifi on when plugged in and off when unplugged.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 08:13:40 PM by Drew »

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman