April 16, 2024, 02:52:55 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Hello from Utah  (Read 1672 times)

Zell

Hello from Utah
« on: July 16, 2012, 10:00:47 AM »
Hello.

I pre-ordered my Nexus 7 the day after it was announced, about 3 weeks after I purchased a Kindle Fire.  I am very happy I was still within Amazon's 30 day return window and able to get a full refund on the Fire.  I really never did like the Fire.  It is very heavy, clunky, boring to look at, sluggish operating system, stupid home screen (the carousel), and has absolutely no sex appeal to it.  UPS tracking says my Nexus 7 will be here tomorrow (Tuesday).  I'm really looking forward to it -- otherwise I wouldn't have signed-up to be a part of this forum!

Offline samalex

• Popularity: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from Utah
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 10:07:38 AM »
Hiya...

Like you my Nexus 7 should be in my hands tomorrow evening, so should be a fun week for many of us.  As for the Kindle Fire, my wife got me one for Christmas last year, and honestly I've loved it though only after some modifications.  The stock launcher Amazon setup leaved LOTS to be desired, but after putting GO Launcher EX on it the Kindle Fire instantly became a normal tablet... that and I side loaded all the Google apps since Amazon doesn't offer them in their store.   If if not for all these mods (not rooted though) the Kindle Fire wouldn't be as useful.

So for me I'm anxious to compare the Fire and N7, and if the N7 doesn't live-up to expectations I'll send it back or drop it on EBay though I'm sure it will.

Zell

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 11:20:37 AM »
The only regret I have about the Nexus 7, and it's only a small one for me, is that I ordered the 8GB.  I even contacted Google Play about it about 2 weeks after ordering the 8GB and they said they'd be happy to cancel my order for the 8GB if I wanted and order a 16 GB for me.  I considered it for awhile but thought it might delay getting it and plus having the 8GB Kindle Fire didn't seem to be an issue for me.  We'll see.

Offline samalex

• Popularity: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 11:35:07 AM »
I ordered the 16 Gig version just to be safe, but I'm now wondering if I should've gone with the 8 Gig and saved the $50.  Also having the Kindle I've never worried much about space plus my DroidX only has 8 Gigs and I'm just now filling it up with two years of pictures and videos... but I won't be taking may pics or videos with the N7 so that shouldn't even be a problem there.

The two big reasons for the 16Gig on my end was for offline maps, which I don't think will be as useful as I hoped, and also to store offline books and videos when traveling.   So we'll see if it's worth it in the long run.

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 12:46:32 PM »
Welcome to the forum Zell. I hope you will enjoy your Nexus 7.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Zell

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 02:40:28 PM »
I ordered the 16 Gig version just to be safe, but I'm now wondering if I should've gone with the 8 Gig and saved the $50.  Also having the Kindle I've never worried much about space plus my DroidX only has 8 Gigs and I'm just now filling it up with two years of pictures and videos... but I won't be taking may pics or videos with the N7 so that shouldn't even be a problem there.

The two big reasons for the 16Gig on my end was for offline maps, which I don't think will be as useful as I hoped, and also to store offline books and videos when traveling.   So we'll see if it's worth it in the long run.

I Have an iPad2 (the least expensive one) and do not have any pictures or music on it -- all of that stuff is on my iPhone and it's 16GB.  For me, my iPad is used primarily for web surfing.  Since the iPad  has become the family device (didn't start out that way) I have to share it with my wife and kids.  My kids play games on it.  So, I want my own device and that will be the N7.

Zell

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 02:41:09 PM »
Welcome to the forum Zell. I hope you will enjoy your Nexus 7.

Thank you!

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts