March 29, 2024, 06:59:03 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Google Cloud  (Read 2716 times)

Offline Paul_TT

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
Google Cloud
« on: December 17, 2012, 04:13:46 PM »
OK - this is where I get laughed at .

What is the 'cloud' I know it is a remote storage facility that one can draw down stored informaiton from. At least I think that is what it is. Can someone please provide me with a link to where I can find out more and how / why I woudl use it with my Nexys 7

Kind regards

Paul

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
Re: Google Cloud
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 04:27:08 PM »
https://cloud.google.com/products/cloud-storage
The Nexus doesn't have a sd slot to add more space so unless you go usb which restricts charging. Cloud space will allow you to store files and stream them to your Nexus using wifi.Great for music collections video.. Check out Google Drive, Dropbox  for free cloud space offers. Jayj posted a company a couple weeks back that gives you free space too but the name escapes me.
Edit Jotta cloud .. Message JayJ and he will send you a link for free space.
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 10:42:57 PM by bjs229 »

Offline Tiny

• Popularity: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 09:54:44 PM »
OK - this is where I get laughed at .

What is the 'cloud' I know it is a remote storage facility that one can draw down stored informaiton from. At least I think that is what it is. Can someone please provide me with a link to where I can find out more and how / why I woudl use it with my Nexys 7

Kind regards

Paul

That's a tough question to answer because the "cloud" can be defined with many answers.  It's kind of like asking, "What is God?"

Surprisingly, the U. S. Government has a fairly decent answer to "What is the Cloud?"

How Stuff Works has a detailed article on cloud computing (including the pitfalls).

Personally, I think the cloud is just a great marketing term that someone thought of.
I used to be crazy until I found out that insane pays more.

Where am I?  What am I doing in this handbasket?

Offline fxsarge

• Popularity: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 10:53:52 PM »
Its not really a product or something tangible. Most of the time there is not even a membership fee. With Google you are automatically enrolled with your Google account.

The best way to think of the cloud is as a concept and you are spot on with what it means to the consumer. Your basically using someone else's hard drive to store your files that are then streamed to your device.

Where are these computers and hard drives? Their typically all over the world but its like a giant warehouse filled with these computers and are often referred to as server farms. They are typically kept in cold environments because of the heat the buildings make. The Dakota's are where a lot if these farms are.

JayJ

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 01:26:56 AM »
The term "the cloud" is a generic term for cloud storage, it refers to cloud storage as a whole including Google Drive, Dropbox, Skydrive, Jottacloud or any other company offering "cloud" storage.

Offline Bigtroutz

• Popularity: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 09:30:01 PM »
And cloud apps as well as storage, like Google apps on Google Drive  The premise of cloud based laptop type PCs that used cloud sourced programs and stored their data on the cloud  They largely disappeared after their introduction...thud !!

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman