March 28, 2024, 06:44:51 AM

collapse

Author Topic: need old version of Swype  (Read 3039 times)

Offline martyh

• Popularity: 3
    • View Profile
need old version of Swype
« on: December 28, 2012, 06:09:17 PM »
I updated to the latest version 1.3 beta of the Swype keyboard -- big mistake. Never saves anything in the custom dictionary; in fact the update deleted every entry that I did have in the dict. Often auto-spacing doesn't work, which is a swype nightmare. Anyone have a suggestion on how to go back to the older version?

Cheers, & happy holidays, all.
- martyh

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
Re: need old version of Swype
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 06:47:37 PM »
The version that I have a back-up of is also 1.3. You might have to find someone with an apk of the older version.

Sent From my Razr Maxx (iKReaM.NeW.ErA.1.0.4) via Tapatalk 2

Offline Tiny

• Popularity: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 04:28:30 PM »
I updated to the latest version 1.3 beta of the Swype keyboard -- big mistake. Never saves anything in the custom dictionary; in fact the update deleted every entry that I did have in the dict. Often auto-spacing doesn't work, which is a swype nightmare. Anyone have a suggestion on how to go back to the older version?

Cheers, & happy holidays, all.
- martyh

I don't use Swype, but I hope you don't mind if I use your thread to mention the dangers of using beta software.

Beta software is pre-release software, which means that it is not finished.  You are in effect agreeing to be a tester.  There are often bugs that cause problems for the user.  Back in the days when I was a frequent beta tester, I never installed on my main computer.  I always assumed there would be a problem and that my entire system would get wiped out.

Make sure you report your problems so that the developers can fix them.

You might do an internet search for the previous version number.  Often the software repository sites don't update to the beta versions.  You might be able to find it somewhere.

The N7 stock keyboard is supposed to be a pretty good alternative to Swype.
I used to be crazy until I found out that insane pays more.

Where am I?  What am I doing in this handbasket?

Offline martyh

• Popularity: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 05:26:12 PM »
Appreciate your concern, Tiny, but I did my homework ahead of time and there were plenty of users already enjoying the Swype beta keyboard. Unfortunately, the latest update hosed everything -- and the Swype forum is so full of complaints that I couldn't even get through them all.  And, apparently, Nuance, the publisher of Swype, isn't known for its timely updates.

It's not so much the fact that the app is "beta" as it is that the developers added back in options that were previously removed due to a multitude of user complaints; so it's like they have now decided to ignore those complaints that they initially listened to. Second, they didn't maintain the user's personal dictionary, so all custom dicts. were lost with the new upgrade. Everyone's! And the current dictionary refuses to save words.

I still like the "feel" of Swype, for lack of a better word, but I've uninstalled it -- and replaced it with SwiftKey Flow Beta keyboard. It still has bugs and doesn't feel as sleek as Swype, but knowing SwiftKey's quality and attention to detail, I'm sure that their flow keyboard will surpass Swype's in a matter of a few weeks.  Also, SwiftKey Flow has a "flow through" capability that's still in development. I can type an entire sentence without ever leaving the keyboard simply by swiping across the space bar after each word. I've tried it a few times now on complete sentences, and it's been averaging only one error per sentence. Also, holding down the back space key will delete entire words, which is a nice feature as well.

So, I'm now promoting SwiftKey Flow Beta. If you own SwiftKey's standard or tab keyboard, when the Flow keyboard is finally released, it will be part of the update to all owners of SwiftKey.

Cheers,
- martyh

JayJ

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 08:18:53 PM »
Swype had been in beta for over two years, I originally used it on my SE Xperia X10i but I'm sticking with the stock gesture keyboard now and finally getting use to it...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Offline fxsarge

• Popularity: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 12:47:35 AM »
I have never understood swype style keyboards.  Its just glorified hunt and peck. I bet I could type faster with my two thumbs than anyone using a gesture style keyboard can.

Edit: and I mean my two thumbs on an on screen keyboard.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 11:04:59 AM by fxsarge »

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 03:00:23 AM »
I've been using swype beta since the initial closed beta test with my OG droid. I used to have an LG enV2 and I was way fast on that. When I had the droid I thought I would never use an onscreen keyboard. That ended with my invite to swype beta. I've not always been happy with every beta release, so I always kept a backup. That was until the 4.2 keyboard was pulled from a system dump. I've been using the Google gesture input since before the 4.2 update was released. Now I'm faster than with Swype

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman